Teams Jacksonville Jaguars - Touchdown Town

Remove this Banner Ad

Gonna be hard to split AFC defensive player of the week between Josh Allen and Jeffery Simmons, both guys win it in a canter any other week.

Id probably give it to Allen though because of the INT as a DE.

Jaguars signed John Brown, formerly of the Broncos, to the practice squad.
The team also added former Colts running back Jordan Wilkins to their practice squad. Brown opened the year with the Raiders but he didn't appear in any games and was cut a few weeks into the season. He then joined a receiver-needy Broncos squad but only lasted two weeks in Denver. The Jaguars have a thin receiving room but Brown is still unlikely to see more than a few snaps if he gets called up from the practice squad.
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Nov 8, 2021, 4:20 PM ET

Urban Meyer’s chief of staff will leave Jaguars, return to University of Texas

Posted by Mike Florio on November 21, 2021, 1:21 PM EST

The first official departure from Urban Meyer’s staff is happening.

The team has confirmed that chief of staff Fernando Lovo, who joined the team from the University of Texas in January, will be returning to the school.

According to his online bio, Lovo “oversee various football support departments while also serving as Coach Meyer’s main liaison with the Front Office executive leadership team and Team President.”

He has previously worked with Urban Meyer at Ohio State and at Florida.
It’s currently unclear whether Lovo is leaving before the season ends, or after. Given the team’s performance this year, there’s a chance he won’t be the last one to go.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports there are "questions in league circles" about whether Urban Meyer's stay in Jacksonville could end after one season.

Jaguars players vented frustration to Rams players after last week's loss, according to Pelissero, while assistant coaches have been thrown under the bus for Jacksonville's 2-10 season. Meyer's "shifting blame to players and coaches" has created a toxic environment, with "multiple heated exchanges" between the team and Meyer. Veteran and team captain Marvin Jones left the team facility before being convinced to come back over Meyer's criticism of the receiver group, while Trevor Lawrence questioned Meyer on the sidelines after his first-quarter benching of star RB James Robinson last week. For now, there are no signs owner Shad Khan is considering firing Meyer, but that could change as Meyer continues to lose the locker room. There hasn't been a coach with as much backlash that's looks as out of his league as Meyer since Chip Kelly's tenure in Philadelphia, and Urban is likely headed for a similar fate.

SOURCE: NFL Network
Dec 11, 2021, 11:31 AM ET

Urban Meyer has some motivated enemies in the building

Posted by Mike Florio on December 11, 2021, 7:23 PM EST

While hairs possibly can be split regarding the details of the incidents allegedly involving Jaguars coach Urban Meyer in recent weeks, one fact cannot be denied. Meyer has multiple motivated enemies in the building, who are talking freely to reporters with concerns about the first-year head coach.

The dynamic first surfaced in the aftermath of Meyer’s misguided decision to remain in Ohio after a Thursday night game against the Bengals, an event that lit the fuse on a private airing of grievances regarding Meyer’s interactions with players and assistant coaches. Speculation ran wild that Meyer would soon be gone, and some within the facility were doing everything they could to throw jet fuel on the flames.

Things died down a bit after the Jaguars finally got a win in London, but the discontent lingered. As losses have piled up and pressure has mounted on Meyer, more and more bits and pieces have emerged — because Meyer’s in-house enemies have continued to talk.

That’s really the takeaway from Saturday’s report. The situation finally reached critical mass, to the point that the media conglomerate partially owned and operated by the Jaguars (and the other 31 teams) gave a green light to the posting of a collection of tidbits that paint an even more embarrassing picture about Meyer’s first season.

The biggest embarrassment, frankly, is that Meyer has alienated enough people on his staff that these things are emerging. Every team has moments of adversity and, at times, dysfunction. For Meyer, the constant drip-drip-drip has become a sudden firehose that undermines the authority and demeans the image of a man who is accustomed to being the unquestioned emperor of various college football programs.

It’s telling that the Jaguars referred requests for comment on the matter to owner Shad Khan’s personal spokesperson, who declined comment to NFL Network. To the extent that Meyer would benefit from a boost while mired in a bad spot, he didn’t get one from the guy who signs his checks. That could be a sign that Khan is indeed considering making a change after only one season.

Even if he doesn’t, it’s clear that Meyer needs to make some changes. He has multiple staff members who don’t like him, and who aren’t bashful about airing out dirty laundry. So either they need to go, or he needs to go. Or maybe they all need to go.

James Robinson with * all carries again this week, wouldn't surprise me if hes one of the players who has spoken out and is sick of Meyer's bullshit.

Meyer, the dumbass he is, doesn't realise that benching Robinson actually hurts the development and play of Lawrence.

Jaguars owner Shad Khan said he would not be "impulsive" in determining the future of head coach Urban Meyer.

Khan said he would not be "helter skelter" in his approach to the beleaguered Meyer, who reportedly called Jacksonville assistant coaches "losers" and has lost support in the team's locker room. "I think we have a history of looking at the facts and doing the right thing," Khan said. "Wins and losses, this is a little bit different. I'm going to reflect on all of that and do what's the right thing for the team and the right thing for the city." NFL reporter Josina Anderson reported Tuesday that Khan met with Meyer's coaching staff and expressed confidence in the group. Anderson cited sources who said the Jags coaches felt "undermined" and "under appreciated." Pressure to fire Meyer could build over the regular season's final four weeks, forcing Khan to part ways with the legendary college coach after a single failed pro season. Meyer's year with the Jaguars has been an unmitigated disaster from the very beginning. Hopefully the unending tumult of 2021 won't affect Trevor Lawrence -- among the league's least effective quarterbacks -- in 2022.

SOURCE: NFL.com
Dec 14, 2021, 11:13 AM ET

Ex-Jaguars K Josh Lambo has alleged he was kicked by coach Urban Meyer before being released in October.

Lambo says the incident occurred after he missed kicks in each of his first two preseason appearances. “I’m in a lunge position. Left leg forward, right leg back,” Lambo said. “(Meyer), while I’m in that stretch position, comes up to me and says, ‘Hey (expletive), make your (expletive) kicks!’ And kicks me in the leg.” Lambo said he implored the former college coach to never "(expletive) kick me again!’" Meyer's response was allegedly "‘I’m the head ball coach, I’ll kick you whenever the (expletive) I want.’" Meyer, naturally, has denied the allegation. “Josh’s characterization of me and this incident is completely inaccurate, and there are eyewitnesses to refute his account,” Meyer said. “(GM) Trent (Baalke) and I met with him on multiple occasions to encourage his performance, and this was never brought up. I was fully supportive of Josh during his time with the team and wish him nothing but the best.” Lambo also said he has witnesses, but that he did not want to involve them. We see no reason for Lambo to make the story up. No longer allowed to behave like a tyrant with unpaid college players, Meyer appears comically out of his depth in a league where he is coaching millionaire grown men.

SOURCE: Tampa Bay Times
Dec 15, 2021, 5:07 PM ET

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lawrence spoke and it was done....

-------------

Trevor Lawrence: Constant drama around Jaguars needs to change

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on December 15, 2021, 11:26 PM EST

The Jacksonville Jaguars constantly remain in the headlines despite carrying a 2-11 record into mid-December.

Head coach Urban Meyer continues to draw criticism from various missteps he’s made since being hired as the team’s head coach in January. Even before Wednesday’s story dropped about Meyer allegedly kicking former Jaguars kicker Josh Lambo before a practice in August, quarterback Trevor Lawrence said the drama circling the team has to stop.

You’re always going to have some form of drama. I’ve learned that the NFL is just more drama in general than college, no matter where you’re at,” Lawrence said, via Michael DiRocco of ESPN.com. “But you’re right. There’s been a lot. To your point, I do think that has to change and that’s something that we need to work on for sure.

“So you can’t always be in the headlines. You just got to go play football and that’s where we’re trying to get and I have no doubt we’ll get there, but for sure [it has to change].”

A quick rundown of some of the criticism Meyer and the Jaguars have faced this season:

— An attempt to hire strength coach Chris Doyle, who left the University of Iowa with a $1.1 million separation agreement after he was accused of making racist comments and belittling players. Doyle resigned after a single day with the team.

— Fines levied against the team and Meyer for violating offseason contact rules in practice.

— Meyer not returning to Jacksonville with the team after a loss to the Cincinnati Bengals before being filmed getting handsy with a woman in a Columbus bar.

— A heated argument with wide receiver Marvin Jones and ripping his assistant coaches, both of which were featured in an NFL Network story last week. That story led Meyer to threaten to fire anyone leaking stories to the press.

That list doesn’t include the new story from Lambo about being kicked by Meyer in an August practice. It also doesn’t include Meyer claiming ignorance as to why James Robinson hasn’t been playing more snaps or how much other players on his roster are or aren’t playing.

The drama around the Jaguars mostly seems to be a drama around one specific person. As Lawrence and the Jaguars try to build themselves up and win, that drama is proving to be a significant hindrance.

“Obviously there’s been a lot of drama,” Lawrence said. “Like, whatever has caused everything, who even knows at this point, but there’s been a lot of drama and for me I think it’s important to be truthful. But with that, you can’t say everything that’s on your mind. You have to have a filter and you’ve got to be careful.

“I have a lot of appreciation for all those guys in there that have been working to try to get this thing right and it hasn’t been easy. So I have a lot of appreciation for the players, for the coaches, for everybody. … Obviously you can’t, like I said, always say exactly what’s on your mind, but the truth is in there somewhere always with me, so that’s what I try to do.”

Urban Meyer fired as Jaguars head coach

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on December 16, 2021, 12:45 AM EST

Urban Meyer has been fired as head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars after just 13 games with the franchise.

Adam Schefter of ESPN.com was first to report the firing.

Meyer’s tenure with the Jaguars was a rocky one from start to finish with the number of off-field headlines about Meyer’s decisions and conduct far exceeding the team’s number of wins. His firing comes hours after a story came out from the Tampa Bay Times with former Jaguars kicker Josh Lambo said Meyer kicked him in a practice in August.

Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell will take over as interim head coach. Bevell served as interim head coach for the Detroit Lions last season.

“After deliberation over many weeks and a thorough analysis of the entirety of Urban’s tenure with our team, I am bitterly disappointed to arrive at the conclusion that an immediate change is imperative for everyone,” owner Shad Khan said in a statement. “I informed Urban of the change this evening. As I stated in October, regaining our trust and respect was essential. Regrettably, it did not happen.”

“Trent Baalke continues as our general manager and will work with Darrell [Bevell] to ensure that our team will be inspired and competitive while representing Jacksonville proudly over our final four games of the season.”

Jaguars quarterback Trevor Lawrence said Wednesday, prior to the Lambo story being released, that the drama around the team had to change. Meyer was the source of almost all of the drama surrounding the team this year. And now the change the team needed has happened.

Jaguars named OC Darrell Bevell interim head coach.

Aside from the fact that his offense is averaging nine points over its past seven contests, Bevell was the most sensible choice to take the reins following Thursday morning's news dump that Urban Meyer had been relieved of his duties as Jaguars head coach after only 13 games. It is the second time in two years Bevell has served as an interim head coach after earning the "honor" in Detroit last year, as well. Although he has never served as a head coach at any level, Bevell has a decade plus of coordinating experience, and unlike Meyer, will keep himself out of the news and presumably not have the entire roster turn against him in only a matter of days. With Meyer's tyrannical hand out of the team's affairs, perhaps Bevell might actually coax some improvement out of an undermanned but hardly talentless offense. If nothing else, it will be addition by subtraction, with Meyer's black cloud being removed and allowing players like Trevor Lawrence to just focus on their game for the final four weeks of the season.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Dec 16, 2021, 12:56 AM ET

Urban Meyer is first NFL head coach since Bobby Petrino not to finish his first season

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 16, 2021, 3:55 AM EST

When the Jaguars hired Urban Meyer as their head coach, some observers immediately speculated that he’d be like Bobby Petrino, a former college coach who simply didn’t fit in the NFL. That comparison proved to be very accurate.
Meyer, who was fired late Wednesday night, is the first NFL head coach since Petrino to leave before finishing his first season on the job.

Petrino quit the Falcons after 13 games with a 3-10 record to become head coach at Arkansas.

Meyer is fired by the Jaguars after 13 games with a 2-11 record. Meyer does not have a college coaching job waiting for him.

Petrino had success at Arkansas on the field but was fired for personal misconduct involving a woman he had an affair with. He is now the head coach at Missouri State.

Meyer may find himself another college job and may find success again: He’s one of the most successful coaches in college football history. But it’s safe to say that, like Petrino, he’s done in the NFL after 13 games. Meyer’s tactics simply didn’t work on grown men, and he’s done coaching professionals

Urban Meyer is first NFL head coach since Bobby Petrino not to finish his first season

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 16, 2021, 3:55 AM EST

When the Jaguars hired Urban Meyer as their head coach, some observers immediately speculated that he’d be like Bobby Petrino, a former college coach who simply didn’t fit in the NFL. That comparison proved to be very accurate.
Meyer, who was fired late Wednesday night, is the first NFL head coach since Petrino to leave before finishing his first season on the job.

Petrino quit the Falcons after 13 games with a 3-10 record to become head coach at Arkansas.

Meyer is fired by the Jaguars after 13 games with a 2-11 record. Meyer does not have a college coaching job waiting for him.

Petrino had success at Arkansas on the field but was fired for personal misconduct involving a woman he had an affair with. He is now the head coach at Missouri State.

Meyer may find himself another college job and may find success again: He’s one of the most successful coaches in college football history. But it’s safe to say that, like Petrino, he’s done in the NFL after 13 games. Meyer’s tactics simply didn’t work on grown men, and he’s done coaching professionals
Bobby Petrino - The only head coach in Atlanta history not to get sacked by the Falcons.

If Urban Meyer was fired “for cause,” a fight over his remaining pay could be looming

Posted by Mike Florio on December 16, 2021, 6:49 AM EST

issue first emerged in early October, in the days before Jon Gruden’s email scandal yanked the spotlight away from Urban Meyer’s Ohio misadventures. Will the Jaguars fire Urban Meyer “for cause,” cutting off his pay?

The fact that Meyer didn’t resign suggests that he didn’t want to waive his chance to get the balance of his contract. The fact that everything happened so fast after Josh Lambo created a fresh headline with an old story (from the team’s perspective) of being kicked at practice by Meyer suggests that (at best) the team had their “for cause” ducks in a row and that, at worst, they decided to pull the trigger now and worry about the money later.

A “for cause” firing can happen if a coach violates a material provision of his contract. The contracts typically used by all NFL teams include a “Good Moral Character” clause. Here’s an example of one: “At all times during the term of this Agreement, whether in the performance of his duties and responsibilities under this Agreement or otherwise, Coach shall conduct himself in accordance with the NFL and Club Personal Conduct Policies, high standards of honesty, morality and good conduct and shall refrain from taking any actions which could be construed as detrimental to the best interests of Club or the NFL. This shall include, but not be limited to, insubordination, drunkenness, any personal conduct on or off the job which could bring disgrace on or discredit to Club, the NFL or both. Coach shall conduct himself with regard to public conventions and morals, and shall not gamble or bet illegally or excessively or gamble at all on any football game or team sport, shall not use intoxicants or stimulants to excess or frequent places or associate with persons of questionable character, shall abide by all standards set forth by Club regarding appearance and standards of workmanship, shall not participate in any activity in violation of the NFL rules, constitution or bylaws, and shall not do or commit any act or thing which would tend to bring him, Club or the NFL into public hatred, contempt, scorn or ridicule, or that could shock or offend the community or ridicule public morals or decency or prejudice the NFL or Club or professional football generally.”

The language is broad, sweeping, and just vague enough to strike the balance between not being enforceable and being sufficiently malleable to apply to a wide range of situations.

If Meyer chooses to fight a “for cause” firing, he likely will have his hands tied by another common provision of NFL coaching contracts — the requirement that any disputes be resolved not in a court of law but by the Commissioner. That stacks the deck firmly in favor of the oligarchs who have hired and compensated the Commissioner, making it very difficult for the team to lose.

Besides, the team really doesn’t lose anything by holding firm. If Meyer fights this and in the unlikely event he wins, he’ll get what he would have gotten if he hadn’t been fired “for cause.”

Then there’s the question of whether Meyer is truly up for a fight. There could be other things that the team knows, and that the team would leak, if/when Meyer essentially sues the Jaguars. Although the in-house arbitration process doesn’t play out publicly like a court proceeding, Meyer has learned the hard way the ease with which those motivated to talk and those inclined to repeat what they have to say can come together to create all sorts of difficulties and challenges for an NFL head coach.

So if he was fired “for cause” and if there’s other stuff that we don’t yet know about, maybe his best move is to cut his losses and move on. Or to accept whatever cents-on-the-dollar settlement the team may offer (there’s a sense his base pay was in the range of $6.5 million annually) to allow everyone to put this behind them, for good.

Four-month-old kicking controversy forces Shad Khan’s hand on Urban Meyer

Posted by Mike Florio on December 16, 2021, 5:43 AM EST

His Monday comments made it clear that all options were on the table, that losing with a side dish of high-profile drama may not be sustainable in Jacksonville. Early Thursday morning, Jaguars owner Shad Khan did what he should have done weeks ago.

Dysfunctional teams do dysfunctional things. And it’s the height of dysfunction for Khan to treat as the final straw an incident that happened nearly four months ago, and that was reported to the team’s legal counsel a day after it occurred.

Khan tolerated the claim that coach Urban Meyer had kicked kicker Josh Lambo until the moment Lambo told his story publicly, in comments to Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times. Of course, this assumes that Khan even knew about it; possibly, the contention never made its way up to the top of the ladder. If so, that’s another example of the dysfunction that has contributed to the team becoming one of the least successful in the NFL.

And so, at a time when plenty of in-house enemies had hoped to bring down Meyer, the bucket of water that melted the wicked witch came from someone who himself had been fired by Meyer weeks earlier. Someone who had a story that could have been told at any time.

If Lambo had told his story weeks ago, would that have brought Meyer down? If Khan knew about Lambo’s claim and accepted it as credible, the last straw should have been Meyer’s abandonment of his post in Week Four, after the Jaguars lost to the Bengals and Meyer decided to stay in Ohio for a couple of days when he should have accompanied his team back to Florida.

For a day or two after Urban’s Ohio misadventures, it seemed like Khan was considering making a move, perhaps laying the foundation for a for-cause termination that would have cut off Meyer’s right to ongoing payments. When things died down, there was a sense that the team was vetting Meyer’s version of the events for potential untruthfulness — and that it realized something else could happen later.

The later thing that forced Khan’s hand ended up being something that already had happened. This is precisely the kind of bass-ackward chain of events that proves that something is amiss at a higher level of the organization, that someone who managed to make billions in one industry has struggled to learn the nuances and niceties of managing a sports franchise that operates on an inherent high wire, with every move being studied and scrutinized in real time.

Then there’s the fact that Khan became smitten with the idea of hiring Meyer at a time when no other NFL team — not a single one — seriously pursued him. Perhaps Khan, after a string of failed head coaches who came from the world of pro football, decided that it made sense to roll the dice on an unconventional move, changing the usual order of tuna on toast to chicken salad on rye, untoasted, and a cup of tea.

The experimental nature of the move to hire Meyer provides further proof that those who thrive beyond their wildest dreams in some other line of business don’t automatically know how to run an NFL team, how to properly staff a front office from top to bottom with people who for example know which coaches should be pursued and which should be avoided.

The other 31 franchises knew to avoid Meyer; even at the height of his success, he was never at or near the top of the NFL’s A list. And so, as Khan embarks on his second decade as owner of an NFL team, he needs to take a step back and ask himself what he truly knows about this specific endeavor, what he still doesn’t know about it, and how he can go about the delicate and challenging process of finding someone who will routinely win more games than he loses while also not creating a sting of embarrassments and distractions because he probably never should have had the job in the first place.

It’s one of the most fascinating aspects of the NFL. The game has the uncanny ability to bring to their knees men who have created in some other place a degree of beyond-their-wildest-dreams success, the kind of success that fuels raw and naked hubris. Meyer, for all his achievements at Ohio State and Florida, didn’t belong in the NFL. Khan, like so many other NFL owners before and after him, is learning one day at a time that the only thing better than being really, really rich and sort of famous is being really, really rich.

Did Jaguars report Josh Lambo’s claim to the NFL?

Posted by Mike Florio on December 16, 2021, 12:35 PM EST

Urban Meyer is gone, but an item of business that first emerged publicly on Wednesday may cause a lingering issue for the Jaguars.

It’s unclear whether the Jaguars reported to the NFL the claim made by former kicker Josh Lambo that he’d been kicked by Meyer.

The Personal Conduct Policy contains no ambiguity. “Clubs and players are obligated to promptly report any matter that comes to their attention (through, for example, victim or witness reports, law enforcement, civil litigation, or media reports) that may constitute a violation of this Policy. Clubs are expected to educate their employees on this obligation to report.”

If Meyer did indeed kick Lambo, that’s a clear violation of the Personal Conduct Policy. The moment Lambo’s agent told the team about Lambo’s claim, the Jaguars became aware of a “matter” that “may constitute” a violation. It’s that simple.

The league had no comment on whether the Jaguars reported the incident when it happened. The Jaguars, based on their statement to the Tampa Bay Times, did nothing with the matter because they were waiting for more from Lambo.

“Jaguars legal counsel indeed acknowledged and responded immediately to the query made by Josh Lambo’s agent Friday, August 27, 2021,” the team told the Times. “Counsel offered to speak with Josh, or to assist Josh in speaking with coaching or any other football personnel, if he was comfortable with her sharing the information. Any suggestion otherwise is blatantly false.”

The last part refers to Lambo claiming that he has no recollection of having the opportunity to speak with the team’s legal counsel. The Jaguars presumably said nothing to the league while waiting for more from Lambo.

Regardless, Lambo’s agent put the team on notice of the allegation. That’s the moment the NFL should have been informed, based on the plain terms of the Personal Conduct Policy.

Will the league do anything about it? Like everything else, they will if they want to. Regardless of what the relevant standard provides.

The T.U.M.E. is over and it hasn't been a good one for anyone involved.

Suppose the tank is on for the rest of the season.

Who will be next up on the coaches bench ?

Pederson might be a big enough name to attract players.

Meyer often left the building early and made his underling coaches do all the work for him....

-------------

Darrell Bevell: Urban Meyer left before last night meetings and didn’t return

Posted by Mike Florio on December 16, 2021, 4:55 PM EST

Like the Springsteen song about the guy with a wife and kids in Baltimore, Jack, Urban Meyer went out for a ride and he never went back.

In his first press conference at the interim head coach of the Jaguars, Darrell Bevell said that Meyer left before last night’s meetings and didn’t return. Bevell also said that the coaches met and worked on game planning without Meyer. Bevell added that the other coaches didn’t know what had happened until late last night, when G.M. Trent Baalke told Bevell that Meyer was out and Bevell was in.

Frankly, Meyer’s absence may not have set off any alarms among the staff. One of the complaints that had been making the rounds about the failed first-year coach was that he left the office early, allowing others to work while he didn’t.
Bevell also went out of his way to praise the rest of the staff, and he had this to say about running back James Robinson, the focal point of one of the final Meyer dramas as it relates to the curious benching of Robinson.

“James Robinson is our starting running back, and he will played as such,” Bevell said.

Bevell declined to delve into the disconnect between Meyer and his colleagues, deferring it possibly to a proper moment in the future. But it’s clear that Meyer’s firing has provided an energy that previously wasn’t there.

Indeed, the press conference began with a reporter pointing out that Bevell has a really good chance to finish the season with more career wins than Meyer. Bevell, for his part, smiled and laughed before waving his hand and pointing out that he has nothing to say to that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back