Retired Jake Carlisle

Remove this Banner Ad

It was my first time seeing Jake in the flesh last night... he's bloody HUGE. So happy to finally see him out there in our colours.

Jake+Carlisle+St+Kilda+v+Port+Adelaide+2017+90R29kc3fCel.jpg
Jake+Carlisle+St+Kilda+v+Port+Adelaide+2017+b35FrJXs4nQl.jpg

JLT 3 didn't really test Jake as much as we would have liked. I was hoping that once Carlton pulled up stumps Coach Hammill might have thrown him forward so he could clunk a few and get us supporters really excited.

Alas we didn't get to see him rip it up. Instead he let it rip elsewhere.

eddd40c09b678e571022151b8664b41f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...im-with-essendon-bombers-20170301-guoi3n.html

Jake Carlisle yet to lodge compensation claim with Essendon Bomber

Caroline Wilson

Essendon remain mystified as to why they cannot achieve closure with controversial former Bomber Jake Carlisle, who has not yet lodged a compensation claim against the club.

Having settled 30 of the grievance claims made against the club by the 34 players suspended last season by the Court of Arbitration for Sport, Bombers CEO Xavier Campbell and his team have not yet managed to resolve their legal issues with three other former Essendon players including Nathan Lovett-Murray.

But they are understood to have become increasingly frustrated with Carlisle's advisers as they seek to move forward in 2017 and out of the shadow of the drug scandal that has haunted the club for four years.

Carlisle cut a disenchanted and embittered figure during his last season at the Bombers although in recent months his public comments have indicated he was keen to move on from the drugs saga.

1488358430200.jpg

Jake Carlisle has yet to settle with Essendon. Photo: Pat Scala
Carlisle's manager Anthony McConville was not available for comment regarding the state of Carlisle's claim. The 25-year-old is being represented by former AFL Coaches Association lawyer Chris Pollard.

While it was revealed almost 12 months ago that Carlisle's legal team had linked his 2015 illicit drug use with the trauma of his final three years at Essendon no claim has yet been put to the club.

This means the player has to date gone without his playing wages for all of last season. Carlisle's four-year deal with St Kilda included a trigger for a fifth season and was worth more than $500,000 annually. St Kilda stopped paying Carlisle last January and did not start paying him again until the end of October. Over that period he worked part-time for three to four days a week for a commercial building firm with connections to the Saints, Buxton Constructions. Carlisle is still working there one day a week.

Sensationally caught on social media snorting a white substance just hours after being signed by the Saints, Carlisle was suspended for two weeks by his new club and made to forfeit $50,000 in marketing money. The suspension was served concurrently with his season-long ban and Carlisle returned to the AFL last week via St Kilda's first JLT pre-season game.

Lovett-Murray, 34, has been seeking advice from the AFL Players' Association and is understood to have lodged a large seven-figure claim against the Bombers through his manager Peter Jess.

The Carlisle issue has emerged as another aggrieved former player on Wednesday agreed to a settlement with Essendon.

Hal Hunter, the player who demanded via legal channels to see medical files documenting the drugs he was given by Essendon, is understood to have now cut all official and legal ties with the club in a settlement approved in court early on Wednesday. In March last year Hunter was ordered by the courts to pay Essendon's legal fees for seeking those files. That court order has since been reversed.

Hunter was not one of the 34 banned players but in an interview last year with Fairfax Media he said his diagnosed anxiety and depression stemmed from concerns about what drugs he had been given during 2013 at Essendon.

Banned last year from his player-coaching role at Rumbalara in Shepparton, Lovett-Murray like most of his former teammates has also taken on the club for breaches of duty of care and reputational damage.

Essendon has reached various settlements with all of the 12 players remaining at the club, including Jobe Watson who lost the 2013 Brownlow Medal as a result of his drug ban and new captain Dyson Heppell, a former Pollard client.

All players represented by Slater and Gordon have also settled with the club including Stewart Crameri who could have been a Bulldogs premiership player last year.

Paddy Ryder has also settled his claim with his former club.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...ys-teammate-nathan-brown-20170224-gukpq6.html

St Kilda defender Jake Carlisle finally earns respect, says teammate Nathan Brown
Daniel Cherny

St Kilda pip Port Adelaide

The Saints have warmed up with a one-point pre-season win over Port Adelaide, 57-56.

Having crossed to Seaford from Essendon in the 2015 trade period, Carlisle, 25, finally played his first game for his new club as St Kilda edged Port Adelaide by one point in a scrappy JLT Community series clash at Etihad Stadium on Thursday night.

Carlisle was suspended along with 33 other current and former Bombers for all of last season over supplements regime at Essendon in 2012.

That itself had come only after social media footage emerged of Carlisle snorting a white powder in the off-season of 2015, for which the versatile tall was sanctioned financially and suspended for two games by his new club, a penalty St Kilda ultimately decided he would serve concurrently with the longer doping ban. Carlisle also had hip surgery last year, from which he has recovered.

The former Don said last October that he needed to win the respect of the other Saints players.

But Brown - an even newer Saints acquisition - said Carlisle had achieved that. "To go through what he's gone through the last 18 months, and then to focus and earn respect from the guys, he's been fantastic. And he'll only get better for every game he plays," Brown said.

A premiership player with Collingwood in 2010, Brown joined the Saints as a free agent at the end of last season after a decade at the Magpies. His signature, along with Carlisle's long-awaited availability, means St Kilda have considerably more height in defence than they did in 2016.

1487912009545.jpg

Encouraging: Jake Carlisle (right) leaves the ground with former skipper Nick Riewoldt on Thursday night. Photo: Michael Dodge
Brown's disposals were typically infrequent, but he kept Port spearhead Charlie Dixon to just one kick and no score, while Carlisle had 11 disposals and took six marks in restricted game time, showing poise with his intercept marking.

Saints assistant coach Adam Kingsley said he expected Brown to regularly play on the opposition's biggest key forward, which would free up Carlisle to provide drive. "Nathan's made a career out of playing on those big guys and he's certainly a big guy himself so he's well-suited to that role," Kingsley said.

1487912009545.jpg

Stop right now: Nathan Brown (right) was typically frugal in his first showing for the Saints. Photo: Getty Images
"Jake's a really versatile player, he can play tall, small; he can lock down on someone; he's a terrific intercept mark and he uses the ball really well; I thought we saw all aspects of that tonight."

Brown added that he was enjoying combining with Carlisle. "We're loving our time together and hopefully we can form a bit of a partnership together with the other guys in the back line," Brown said.

While they finished outside the top eight on percentage, the Saints still conceded the sixth-most points in last year's home-and-away season, but Kingsley said he was optimistic that St Kilda were getting better in that area. "The defence was our big opportunity to improve and I thought tonight we defended really strongly, particularly when the ball was through the midfield and at our end," Kingsley said.

"We've still got a bit of work to do when the ball is in our defensive 50. I think they had 10 shots through either stoppage or turnover through that area of the ground. We can definitely fix that but I don't think that's going to be a significant issue for us."

The Saints are set to play a weakened side next weekend against Carlton before picking close to a full-strength team for their final JLT series match against Sydney.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-03-23/spud-praises-carlisles-dedication

Spud praises Carlisle's dedication

Josh Gabelich March 23, 2017 7:00 PM

488599-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

St Kilda defender Jake Carlisle will play his first game for the Saints against Melbourne on Saturday.

The number’s irrelevant, it’s when people talk about the number you know you’ve had a pretty good career so let’s hope we talk about the number two with Jake Carlisle in many years to come.
Danny Frawley
St Kilda great Danny Frawley has lauded the work ethic of key defender Jake Carlisle ahead of the former Bomber’s first appearance in red, white and black this weekend.

After a widely publicised false start last summer, Carlisle overcame a delayed start to his pre-season due to hip surgery to regain fitness on the track and then rediscover touch in the JLT Community Series.

Frawley predicted that Carlisle, who has inherited the former Saints’ skipper’s guernsey number, will get better by the week after more than 16 months between appearances at AFL level.

“His pre-season’s been really good; he’s kept his head down and his bum up; he’s been first to the club and last to leave; his work rate’s been good,” Frawley told saints.com.au on Thursday afternoon.

“He was a little bit rusty early, obviously having not played an AFL game for 17 months. I think he’ll add a lot of height and a lot of footy nous to our backline.

“His form over the JLT got better each week and we still won't see the best of him to about Round 4 or 5, but in saying that he’s ready to go.”

Frawley, who is St Kilda’s second longest serving captain and one of the club's assistant coaches, said the inclusion of Carlisle and full-back Nathan Brown will fill a gaping hole in the Saints defence.

“I think one of the Achilles heels of the Saints over the last couple of years has probably been a lot of height and strength and a little bit of aggression, so those two boys will bring that to the table, which is something all St Kilda supporters will look forward to,” he said.

While Frawley wore the No. 2 with distinction across his career, he isn’t the only one at the club to have worn the number for the Saints. Senior Assistant Coach Aaron Hamill and Player Welfare Manager Tony Brown also wore the famous number. Now, Frawley says, it’s Carlisle’s turn to build his own legacy.

“He’s just got to make that his own, obviously ‘Sammy’ Hamill wore number two at the club and Tony Brown as well at the club,” he said. “The number’s irrelevant, it’s when people talk about the number you know you’ve had a pretty good career so let’s hope we talk about the number two with Jake Carlisle in many years to come.”

A disappointing start for Jake Carlisle against Melbourne in Round 1. Only 11 disposals for 5 kicks, 6 handballs and a solitary tackle. But most importantly, a loss against the new club appointed rivals. Jake looked like he was sluggish, often trailing his opponent to the ball and he really didn't establish himself as an intercepting defender. However, it is important to remember that our midfield was well beaten by Melbourne on the day, and at times the ball was entering the defensive 50 with a little bit too much ease. Onward to the next challenge at what a challenge it is. West Coast at Domain Stadium. Good luck with that Jake, we are hoping you find some improvement with every passing week though.

He is getting better with each passing game. He and Brown were awesome against Collingwood. The whole backline was good but it the spine of Carlisle and a Brown that kept them out of the game . Their forwards just couldn't out mark them as much as they tried the ball just kept getting punched away. You can see Carlisle organising the back 6 now with no Fisher or Dempster to do it he seems to haven stepped up . He seems to have very long arms because he can get a punch in out of nowhere. Already you can see why the Saints really wanted these two backmen .

Sent via HAL

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-04-25/carlisle-accepts-wrestling-fine

St Kilda key defender Jake Carlisle has accepted a $1000 fine for wrestling Geelong forward Nakia Cockatoo in Sunday's loss at Etihad Stadium.

The Match Review Panel charged both players with wrestling following an incident in the final quarter of Sunday's Round 5 game.

Due to Carlisle's clean record, the 25-year-old had the initial $1500 fine reduced to $1000 with an early guilty plea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big snakey with his first in Saints colours! http://www.saints.com.au/video/2017-04-29/carlisle-bags-first-in-saints-colours

Getting better every week. Was imposing in defence today.

He and Brown are getting better every week, giving guys like Robbo the opportunity to attack a lot more which has helped the team . They can back Carlisle not to get out marked too often therefore no need to stay there to be third man up for the spoil. It's made a huge difference to have the big bodied defenders , it's a pity Fisher and Dempster didn't get the chance to play a year of playing on lesser players which I think they would have enjoyed a lot more.

Sent via HAL

upload_2017-4-30_11-7-48.png

Probably Jake's best game in the red white and black. He continues to build a solid playing relationship with Brown, Webster and Geary. His marking in particular is starting to become a feature and he is repaying the defensive effort made by the midfielders.

upload_2017-4-30_11-11-56.jpeg

Last edited:
“I think I do now (have the respect of my teammates). I think it’s been a long year and a half for myself personally,” Carlisle told 3AW Football after the 31-point win on Sunday night.

“The club has been very good for me and obviously the players as well.

“I’ve just tried to work as hard as possible through the pre-season and the time I have had at the Saints and I feel like the hard work has paid off.

“I feel like the boys are trusting me now which is good.”

13 games into his career in red, white and black, Carlisle admits he found the pace difficult to handle when he first returned to the game earlier in the year.

But a recent conversation with former Calder Cannons teammate and dual Adelaide All-Australian full back, Daniel Talia, reassured Carlisle that even the best found the game had sped up over the summer.

“Obviously (I had) a slow start with the year off; I didn’t realise how quick the games gotten actually,” he said.

“Speaking to Daniel Talia a couple of weeks ago when we played Adelaide he even said it was getting quicker and he obviously played last year and he’s been playing really good footy.

“So it was good to hear that because I felt like I was battling at times with the fitness, but at the same time it’s the way the games going, it’s getting very quick and it's taking its toll on you.”

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-06-26/carlisle-earns-trust-the-hard-way

523295-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Snake doing snakey things.

Booted a pretty nice goal this week too!

upload_2017-7-4_10-24-47.png

upload_2017-7-4_10-25-37.png

Our boy made it in to Round 15 AFL team of the week. Stirring stuff from Jake this week with two clutch goals and a beacon in defense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back