Roast James Brayshaw

Remove this Banner Ad

Brayshaw carried on when Simpkin was caught HTB on the boundary by Rozzee where he tried to get around him but walked across the boundary line but when Rozzee was caught doing the same thing and was not penalised, there was no comment from JB. Nothing. Flog
That was seriously disappointing.

Brayshaw carried on when Simpkin was caught HTB on the boundary by Rozzee where he tried to get around him but walked across the boundary line but when Rozzee was caught doing the same thing and was not penalised, there was no comment from JB. Nothing. Flog

This particular incident absolutely did my head in. Perfect example of both umpiring and commentary inconsistency.

The thread is about Brayshaw’s commentary, not the legacy of being the figurehead for Joseph et al saving our club.

No, those of us who took difference to him last night weren’t bothered by his supposed impartiality. If he wants to play it completely neutral then that’s fine.

Problem is he isn’t. Second guesses anything in Norths favour to the point of bitching about missed frees against north. Goes up an octave and commentates like he’s sporting a 2 foot throbber whenever the opposition get a run on.

He has a place in North history just like Aylett or even Barrett but that doesn’t pardon them from all future critique.

That was the only thing I noticed but I don’t pay much attention to commentators tbh.

Not too fussed about his performance last night. Par for the course, really. Maybe I'm desensitised as I'm used to it. What I don't understand is the posters who bring up what he did in 2007 as a reason for not criticising him. He was put into a position of serious power and oversaw a period where we barely achieved a thing on-field and then proceeded to leave us in the weakest position on-field that we have been in decades.

Love him as a commentator when we're not playing. Hate it when he does us. Thanks for 2007. What have you done for me lately?

I had the thing muted from turning it on. Didn’t even know he was commentating.

He’s a lost soul. Approaching a spoken word Damien Barrett.
Same here mate. Had the tunes on and the tv on mute as I was expecting Brian and Darcy to be trading wrsities while Richo sits awkwardly silent next to them. I mean there's a time and place for that, but not when you're watching North.

Sounds likes it was more painful than what I expected.

Was definitely too close to Brad.

This is driving his current agenda and standoff behavior. He's behaving like a spoiled entitled private schoolboy.

I didn't think Brayshaw said anything during the match that was as bad as what some on this board say in the Gameday and autopsy threads.

Because he isn't as biased as Richardson, Darcy or the others doesn't make him a poor commentator.

Surely standards should reasonably be higher for a professional commentator than the swill that we post on here sometimes? FWIW Brayshaw isn't on his own. The standard of media - including commentary - within the AFL is at an all time low. Given it has never been more professional this is pretty abysmal. The competition needs to remove its head from its own arse and have independent media again, instead of the White House press room style sanitised group speak echo chamber.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Commentating as a whole has become a sh1!t fest. Do Ch7/Fox seem to think supporters watching like hearing the game from one of their ‘own’?

I'd like to see them head back towards proper, neutral callers of the play - ideally not football identities or ex footballers - and have the extra roles filled by football people. I also wouldn't mind seeing more variety in commentary rather than a constant parade of jobs for the recently retired. Surely there are a wealth of coaching, fitness and other people that have been around football and elite sport for years that could provide some flavour and balance to the experience.

If we wanted to hear braindead morons that couldn't out think a turnip commentate we could hardly do better than the Darcy / Brayshaw team. My favourite was when Brayshaw criticised a marginal high missed late in the game but at no point did they ever point out that the hit from butters on Simpkin should have been a free kick.
I thought Jy did get a free but we played on to advantage.

I remember that and it annoyed the funk out of me.

Same thing when he implied Josh Walker wouldn't kick a goal then completely back flipped his commentary when he did. Make up your mind JB are you with us or against us because I can't for the life of me i can't figure it out. If you are uncomfortable calling our games, then DON'T!!!

Surely standards should reasonably be higher for a professional commentator than the swill that we post on here sometimes? FWIW Brayshaw isn't on his own. The standard of media - including commentary - within the AFL is at an all time low. Given it has never been more professional this is pretty abysmal. The competition needs to remove its head from its own arse and have independent media again, instead of the White House press room style sanitised group speak echo chamber.
Lou Richards and Jack Dyer were good commentators cos the called the game and threw in the odd opinion about game play, the state of the sides playing and other relevent footy information.

I don't want to pretend I'm sharing a couch with these *******s when I watch the footy. I wouldn't let the campaigners into my house if it was raining fire and acid and they were being chased by giant spiders or cannibals. They aren't my mates, I'm not in on all their banter and don't want to be. I just want to hear the play called properly.

Normally, ie when we aren't playing, Brayshaw is okay as a commentator. Compared to the others. But he over compensates way to much when calling us. Nicky Dal at least sticks up for us, ie he highlights s**t calls (and points out when we do well as well as criticising us.) Brayshaw doesn't even do that. If anything he talks us down and I don't just mean at times like this when we are playing terrible footy.

The Simkin v Rozee htbs over the boundary are a classic example. The inconsistency with htb or incorrect disposal for and against us is too. Dal will mention it if it happens, JB doesn't. He isn't a club official anymore so he can't get the club into trouble for pointing out poor calls.

Lou Richards and Jack Dyer were good commentators cos the called the game and threw in the odd opinion about game play, the state of the sides playing and other relevent footy information.

I don't want to pretend I'm sharing a couch with these *******s when I watch the footy. I wouldn't let the campaigners into my house if it was raining fire and acid and they were being chased by giant spiders or cannibals. They aren't my mates, I'm not in on all their banter and don't want to be. I just want to hear the play called properly.

Normally, ie when we aren't playing, Brayshaw is okay as a commentator. Compared to the others. But he over compensates way to much when calling us. Nicky Dal at least sticks up for us, ie he highlights sh*t calls (and points out when we do well as well as criticising us.) Brayshaw doesn't even do that. If anything he talks us down and I don't just mean at times like this when we are playing terrible footy.

The Simkin v Rozee htbs over the boundary are a classic example. The inconsistency with htb or incorrect disposal for and against us is too. Dal will mention it if it happens, JB doesn't. He isn't a club official anymore so he can't get the club into trouble for pointing out poor calls.

Years ago commentators treated the intelligence of their audience with respect and called it as it was, or were encouraging about players and teams, preferring to take the piss out of themselves and send each other up.

Then along came Caroline Wilson, Tim Lane, Gerard Whateley, Mark Robinson etc., who started treating the audience as children, and placing themselves up on a platform at the expense of the audience, players and teams. These people do not have the required character to take themselves down a peg, because it undermines their positions as pompous puritanical arbiters. The retiring players that joined the ranks have followed suit, and the industry is now polluted beyond redemption.

I went you a sporty that JB was speaking at. End of the night he sat with us, talked North, had a beer, hopped into our car and went to the pub with us. Was good value.

Tight bastard though, was the last bloke to buy a beer in the shout and that was only because one of my mates said "It's that campaigners shout".😁

The big difference with the commentators of yesterday to today was there was no social media. I don't think it helps JB or Eddie to call games that involve the teams they support. JB would have been as disappointed as any of us with watching that game. The difference is he is being paid to call the game and minute he shows any bias towards us he will have people like Caro calling for his head.
I don't want to hear commentators going on about certain incidents because it isn't going to change anything.
During JB's time some great things happened at North and some things that weren't great. The same can be said for Brad Scott and every other people who has been involved at NMFC.

I'd like to see them head back towards proper, neutral callers of the play - ideally not football identities or ex footballers - and have the extra roles filled by football people. I also wouldn't mind seeing more variety in commentary rather than a constant parade of jobs for the recently retired. Surely there are a wealth of coaching, fitness and other people that have been around football and elite sport for years that could provide some flavour and balance to the experience.

Yes this. Especially as the expert comments / ex-players simply rinse and repeat their opinions about a team or a player formed weeks or years ago. Their comments that are supposed to be about the game in progress always revert to stereotype or out of date perspectives if they haven't seen this team or player in weeks. A bit like the way people around here write players off and refuse to change their opinions.

JB’s commentary on our games really annoys me now - especially when we’re losing (imagine that 🤣). However, it’s fair to say he was there when we needed him most. I can still remember him staying in the background after our 2014 finals win against Essendon. Brad was inviting him to share the limelight but he refused.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This.

For all the good he did with the Keep North South stuff, he unwound a fair proportion of it by getting absolutely inebriated on the Scotts Koolaid.

Fancy allowing the coach to turn up late Jan for the start of his season, couldn't get there earlier because the season was so long. Poor bastard almost feel sorry for Scott, oh look we all work 48 weeks a year. Go figure.

Imagine an 11:00 am training session and it being ok to be late. 11 ish is fine, don't stress yourself . Imagine paying 800k a year to Steve Saunders who was never there.

Imagine being at Waurn Ponds Deakin and watching a mid week practice match ( Geelong) with a full list. And jumping on the phone and asking my mate what are we currently doing, the answer? Basically listening to whales *.

He's a weak campaigner is Brayshaw, very weak

Remove this Banner Ad

Back