James Craig, Will Young and Sam Martyn

Remove this Banner Ad

Hardly surprising, Young retired due to injury at the beginning of the year and the other two have failed to fire anything that even half resembles a shot whilst on our list. Craig was a Matthew Clark clone, only 5cm shorter and Martyn is a VB clone, only he wasn't anywhere near good enough.

Of the three, Young is the disappointing one as he actually was good enough and whilst slightly undersized could have filled a KPD role if required.

We only technically replace one of them, as we lose two rookie spots this season. We should have one pick in the RD.

Shame that Martyn hasn't come on. Has been a long term project player for us. We took him based more on his running capabilities rather than football skills from memory? Oh well, have to cut your losses sometime I guess.

Shame that Martyn hasn't come on. Has been a long term project player for us. We took him based more on his running capabilities rather than football skills from memory? Oh well, have to cut your losses sometime I guess.

Yeah, he's Nathan van Berlo, but without the ability, was always a bit of a long shot. Low cost, low chance of success, but high potential reward.

So once Tippett is off the list, we will have two (2) picks in the national draft to fill up our primary list - and we have one (1) spot on the rookie list to fill (Dowdell seems to be in a different category, according to the afc.com.au article)

Is this correct?

So once Tippett is off the list, we will have two (2) picks in the national draft to fill up our primary list - and we have one (1) spot on the rookie list to fill (Dowdell seems to be in a different category, according to the afc.com.au article)

Is this correct?
3 in the ND and 2 in the RD i believe.

^^I think you'll find its currently 0 in the ND, that's why the furore was around about having to delist a player to get crouch in, however afl gave permission to go around this. So no ND picks until tippett goes off list. So far we've lost knights, symes and doughty and replaced them with graham, callinan upgrade and crouch. Hang on, maybe we do already have one pick with an extra main list person moving to veterans list. Not sure now.

2 RD picks, we've lost 3 and upgraded one but the number we can have gets less by 2.

Definitely 2 vacancies on our main list (after Tippett is delisted), however, we are only required to use 1 mandatory draft pick.

^^I think you'll find its currently 0 in the ND, that's why the furore was around about having to delist a player to get crouch in, however afl gave permission to go around this. So no ND picks until tippett goes off list. So far we've lost knights, symes and doughty and replaced them with graham, callinan upgrade and crouch. Hang on, maybe we do already have one pick with an extra main list person moving to veterans list. Not sure now.

2 RD picks, we've lost 3 and upgraded one but the number we can have gets less by 2.

currently one (tiprat), but im including crouch and callinan picks.
i think anyway. im happy to be corrected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely 2 vacancies on our main list (after Tippett is delisted), however, we are only required to use 1 mandatory draft pick.
According to the rules we have to use 3 picks in the draft, but Callinan counts as 1. So we would have 2 "live" picks. If the AFL wont let us delist Tippett we will have to cut a contracted player before next list lodgement (nov 16 i think)

According to the rules we have to use 3 picks in the draft, but Callinan counts as 1. So we would have 2 "live" picks. If the AFL wont let us delist Tippett we will have to cut a contracted player before next list lodgement (nov 16 i think)

so in total, 2 live picks + Callinan in ND (crouch apparently is considered traded in and will not be allocated a draft pick) and 2 in the RD. Someone above asked about Dowdell, he is on an alternative talent list(having been recruited directly from another sport, ie basketball) which is seperate from the rookie list.

I will always remember Will Young as our awesome defender who got a TV for BOG by Matthew Lloyd...

I will always remember James Craig for being an undersized ruckman, but not undersized in effort...

I will always remember Sam Martyn for being a NSW Scholarship holder, like Tex...
Ditto for Young.

I will always remember James Craig because of how much he frustrates me playing at North.

I will definitely have forgotten Sam Martyn in a couple of years.

Ditto for Young.

I will always remember James Craig because of how much he frustrates me playing at North.

I will definitely have forgotten Sam Martyn in a couple of years.

I just assumed he existed purely on paper as a pseudonym, for the purpose of extra payments to Kurt Tippett.

never know, we might get will young back again sometime, sounded like he was keen to have another shot with the legs after a yr off.

Orval is the interesting one.

Most thought he'd be gone as well, but I'm glad they've given him another year.

Skinny tall, coming off injury, did ok in reserves. Saw him at training near the end of the year and was actually struck by his ball handling and foot skills for a tall guy, definitely has something to work with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back