Discussion James Gallagher (Head of List Management) set to depart at end of 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s the problem though, you still have to pay the minimum, so someone has to get it.
I can’t give him credit for something that 99% of list managers achieve. Not going over the salary cap isn’t much of an accomplishment.

would Cripps look after the payments ? to stay under salary cap. Didn't SOS have problems with that?

Seems Gallagher managed it well.

I think SOS was okay because he bailed on GWS before they had to overpay to hang on to all their talent. Carlton would have been like managing us, no-one was leaving because they were paid overs for being on a poor list.

Again we won't know for a few years. Right now Sincs with a move to the midfield and King look closest to being stars. Snags has real potential he can string games together, Windhager looks ready to move a step higher in his progression and Coffield probably had the biggest impact of his group of youth. Marshall reminded us of his promise late too.

Gresham is probably our closest to a real high impact star, Billings still has potential despite most of us having given up and Brad Hill on a wing gives us another close to a grade output player. Battle could be a bit of a bolter too if he moves forward.
Please.

Windy is the best player in the comp. I’d ask you to bookmark it, but it’s already happened.

I’m actually excited about our forward line once we can fix up our midfield/forward entries

Talls: Membrey, Sharman, Wood
Smalls: Higgins, Butler, Gresham

All are mobile and capable of kicking 3+ goals a game. Hope Harves can really improve our ball movement, then watch our forward line click into gear!

If all of them can average 2 goals a week, + 4 or 5 goals from midfield/ruck, then we’ll be scoring 100 points a week, this year we averaged 78 points

I’m actually excited about our forward line once we can fix up our midfield/forward entries

All are mobile and capable of kicking 3+ goals a game. Hope Harves can really improve our ball movement, then watch our forward line click into gear!

If all of them can average 2 goals a week, + 4 or 5 goals from midfield/ruck, then we’ll be scoring 100 points a week, this year we averaged 78 points
Haven't been this excited for the footy to start for a long time

The forward half is one major piece that could make our squad 20% better overnight.
I'm pretty circumspect over the coming season. Mostly I'm looking forward to some tangible progress and a competitive game style. I'm not even concerned over the win/loss, after Richo and Ratts l just want a watchable 2 hrs FFS.

I’m hoping for a downsized forward line. No more lumbering dopey ruckmen, smalls who can put on pressure wins flags.

Give me something like:

HF: Gresham Membrey Owens
FF: Butler Sharman Higgins

I’m not sure what his exact role is but it’s easy to manage the salary cap well when you don’t have anybody worth paying.
if you have to pay extra to meet the salary cap, either 92.5 % or up to 100%, you need someone with proper financial skills, negotiation skills to negotiate the contracts to ensure that you do exceed the salary cap.
many clubs have gotten into trouble over the years for this.

The forward half is one major piece that could make our squad 20% better overnight.
I'm pretty circumspect over the coming season. Mostly I'm looking forward to some tangible progress and a competitive game style. I'm not even concerned over the win/loss, after Richo and Ratts l just want a watchable 2 hrs FFS.
i just don't want to be as disspaointed as i was after the 2022 Essendon game. That was terrible.

Kick it to King probably cost us finals and Ratts his job. If we learnt to change up the forward targets we might jump up fast. I honestly think that missing him for a short period might be an advantage. It might just reprogram a few of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? Essington have been our bogey team for ages. I never expect a win against them no matter how each team is traveling and I don't even think l bothered watching it this year.
It was unfortunate i was at the match

Like Perth?
We are normally a couple of years behind the rest of Australia so practically just starting 2020 over here now.

Been a solid start so far.

We were a whisker away from having gags stay and hunter clark gone (for stuff all).

I'm counting my lucky stars lolnorf turned down gags' idiotic deal and gags is gone and clark isn't.

That maddness +
gags completely missing the boat on even trying to get involved with bowes/pick 7 +
Bending over in the hill trade

... tells me we can do a lot better than him.

He didn't destroy our list or anything, but there is enough evidence to suggest he's only average at best in that role.

We were a whisker away from having gags stay and hunter clark gone (for stuff all).

I'm counting my lucky stars lolnorf turned down gags' idiotic deal and gags is gone and clark isn't.

That maddness +
gags completely missing the boat on even trying to get involved with bowes/pick 7 +
Bending over in the hill trade

... tells me we can do a lot better than him.

He didn't destroy our list or anything, but there is enough evidence to suggest he's only average at best in that role.
We made enquiries and Bowes ruled us out early.
Do agree with the Clark comment, it was reported we had Phillipou at no.2 on our draft list so we would probably used no.3 on him.
So North would now have Phillipou and Clark instead of us. Certainly not ideal.
Gallagher did a good job only real bust looks like Alison, every other pick looks good.
He was pretty good but I think it was opportune to complete the cleanout.
Phillipou
Van Es
Hotton
Keeler,
a good departing draft from him (apart from the Clark madness)

Do agree with the Clark comment, it was reported we had Phillipou at no.2 on our draft list so we would probably used no.3 on him.
Gallagher did a good job only real bust looks like Alison, every other pick looks good.
Phillipou
Van Es
Hotton
Keeler,

I don't think those picks were Gags, that's more Toce's role.

Phillipou
Van Es
Hotton
Keeler,
Actually North couldn't have Phillipou if we had of taken him at no.3. Clark and McKenzie or something like that.

Mitch Cleary reported that we tried to get a meeting late in the piece and didn't even get a look in.

List Mgmt. - 2022 Trade Thread - Part III
Asked about him mid season and told it was not on, then he nom'ed Geelong. We then tried and he said Nada.
Dont know what else we can do, told twice no, do we force him to come to the Saints? Kidnap him maybe?

I thought James did a little more right thsn wrong. Alison might be a fail. But we don't know who was doing the picking. Keeping the players salaries in check. He obviously did that well.

As we won't get a current list manager it's either SOS or someone untried.

Who Else is out there.? No good current list manager would walk out of their current club, including Cripps.
So....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back