January 26

Should the celebration of January 26 cease?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not "wedded" to 26 January being Australia Day and I have long said that for me that day is really "NSW Day". But 26 January still has significance for millions of Australians. On 26 January 1949, the legal concept of Australian citizenship was created with the enactment of the Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948.

Does anyone know how many migrants have been naturalised on 26 January? It will be a significant number.

In this debate we are forgetting the significance of 'Australia Day' to the millions of immigrants who came to Australia post WWII and who treat the Day as a celebration of the country Australia has become. Surely we can find a compromise, acknowledging the hurt to indigenous Australians and celebrating modern Australia? It seems that whatever date we choose will not appease everyone.

Why don't we just make 1 January Australia Day' or call it Federation Day; it's the date when this country truly became a nation. I don't care that we will lose a public holiday.

And please tell me what the status of Aboriginals was on the 26th January 1949? Seriously.

I’d like to see a poll done asking whether people would prefer changing the day to a variable Monday/Friday to ensure a long weekend every year (what it was before 1994) or keep it on the 26th even though half the time there’ll be no long weekend.

My guess is it’ll be 75% in favour of change to a guaranteed long weekend.

Plus there was also that yougov poll that came out recently showing 51% wanted either a complete change to the day or the holiday to be made into two days to honour indigenous Australians on one day (I’d say that’s close enough to change the date) and only 49% wanted the date to remain just one day on the 26th.
I wonder why the majority would vote for this option. Completely irrelevant what the holidays are even for, 2 days off will always win a vote here!

Woolworths boss coming out following severe backlash saying it was purely a "financial" business move from Woolworths as the Australia Day stuff hasn't sold well last few years... Laughable, Coles the big winner.

If he defends this decision by Woolies, he also defends abysmal business practises from Woolies which includes, but not limited to, the horrible mistreatment of staff, the abhorrent robbery of farmers and the blatant price gouging to spite consumers. All of which affects Aboriginals of aforementioned walks of life. That also goes for anyone defending Woolies as well. Its meaningless virtue signalling.

At that point, if he had any minerals he'd resign.

We know from the referendum that Australia is a nation with a severe case of empathy deficit disorder.

Scott Morrison actually had an empathy coach so he could pretend he knew what empathy was and that was enough for Australians to give him another term before they realised what a complete and utter campaigner he really was.

And here we are again, refusing to cede ground on anything just because we can.

Even the annual Australia Day debate is now being drowned out because the most advantaged in this country are furious that their advantage is not being further advanced with the stage 3 tax cuts - Angus Taylor has labelled them a "war on aspiration".

Who would want to celebrate living with this many dickheads anyway?

Pretty sure it existed before the Jesus fable ;)

I never accused the people who would be upset at "symbols" or "dog whistles" on national flags of being rational. I accused them indirectly of being against any display of old institution power and that they will use anything to complain about it.

I've never heard anyone complain about the southern cross as a symbol of this land. Maybe how it is used by racists and the like, but not about it existing in the sky above us.

Yes people gripe about silly things.

I am sure the Liberal Party would seek this out and pretend people are upset about it.

They get one of their opinion fabricators to write a column about some perceived issue or scream about it on Sky Freak News, then go on social media and spray the place with posts pretending it is actually happening. Soon enough it's taking the air out of a Labor or Greens campaign or positive achievement.

Right now it is pretending Australia Day IS Australia, so disagreeing with the date is HATING AUSTRALIA.

It's profoundly dishonest.

I've never heard anyone complain about the southern cross as a symbol of this land. Maybe how it is used by racists and the like, but not about it existing in the sky above us.

Yes people gripe about silly things.

I am sure the Liberal Party would seek this out and pretend people are upset about it.

They get one of their opinion fabricators to write a column about some perceived issue or scream about it on Sky Freak News, then go on social media and spray the place with posts pretending it is actually happening. Soon enough it's taking the air out of a Labor or Greens campaign or positive achievement.

Right now it is pretending Australia Day IS Australia, so disagreeing with the date is HATING AUSTRALIA.

It's profoundly dishonest.
I think it’s dishonest when people who have a generalised problem with patriotism of any kind argue as if the date is the pertinent factor.

Change the date, you’ll still be sh*tting on people who buy souvenirs when it rolls around.

you’ll still be sh*tting on people who buy souvenirs when it rolls around.
I don't give a poop what people buy. I even like a couple of the dorky Aussie Aussie Oi Oi stubby holders. The problem is equating that purchase decision with love or hate of Australia. Do you get it?

Try this as a commercial celebration of Australia: Buy a locally, ethically made product from a local shop. Post about it to get others to do the same, if that's your thing. Switch to that product if it's practical to do so.

Show your support for PEOPLE over a date or a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't give a poop what people buy. I even like a couple of the dorky Aussie Aussie Oi Oi stubby holders. The problem is equating that purchase decision with love or hate of Australia. Do you get it?

Try this as a commercial celebration of Australia: Buy a locally, ethically made product from a local shop. Post about it to get others to do the same, if that's your thing. Switch to that product if it's practical to do so.

Show your support for PEOPLE over a date or a flag.
But do the problems with “flag waving” still remain, even if they are locally manufactured?

I think it’s dishonest when people who have a generalised problem with patriotism of any kind argue as if the date is the pertinent factor.

Change the date, you’ll still be sh*tting on people who buy souvenirs when it rolls around.

Patriotism is an absolute con.

It allows the forgiveness of all manner of sins.

I count myself lucky that my parents just happened to meet, live and have sex here. But that's about it. Australia does not get a pass just because it is where I happen to have been born. Our indiscretions should be judged in the same way we would judge others. If a majority of our First Nations people, the people we stole this land from see a problem with January 26 being celebrated then I am really in no position to argue the toss.

Some things are bigger than digging in over a day on the calendar. If it hurts our First Nations people then why persist with it? Would it really hurt the bogans if it was changed? The only answer that makes sense to me is that some sections of society are so mean spirited that they are wiling to deliberately inflict pain upon others.

'Straya Day (Est 1994)

The issue as I see it are that very significant groups in Australia are offended by Jan 26 being used and the conservatives insist on keeping Jan 26 without actually prosecuting a case for why?

Why is Jan 26 so important?

Something something HISTORY AND TRADITION

Nevermind that it's only been since 1994.

The issue as I see it are that very significant groups in Australia are offended by Jan 26 being used and the conservatives insist on keeping Jan 26 without actually prosecuting a case for why?

Then you get the clowns that post #alwayswasalwayswillbe

Not realising that the date has changed multiple times

But do the problems with “flag waving” still remain, even if they are locally manufactured?
It's still a pretty dorky thing to do, and the Union Jack needs to go.

Doing it just to bait people who have issues with the Union Jack is also dorky. Pretending you're going to get "cancelled" because you wave the flag is very dorky. It's the accompanying xenophobic or racist claims and actions - when present - that are the source of people wanting you to * off. Denial that it has any meaning.

Posting about it on social media claiming that discussing problems with the Union Jack on the flag is "being divisive" is the dorkiest ever. You're just doing the bidding of the LNP who do not give a flying * about you.

(YOU'RE is the non-specific collective YOU, not you ElectricG )

Last edited:
It's still a pretty dorky thing to do, and the Union Jack needs to go.

Doing it just to bait people who have issues with the Union Jack is also dorky. Pretending you're going to get "cancelled" because you wave the flag is very dorky. It's the accompanying xenophobic or racist claims and actions that are the source of people wanting you to * off.

Posting about it on social media claiming that discussing problems with the Union Jack on the flag is "being divisive" is the dorkiest ever. You're just doing the bidding of the LNP who do not give a flying * about you.

(YOU'RE is the non-specific collective YOU, not you ElectricG )

"Dorky" is a very kind way of putting it Chief

Very kind indeed.

Because it opposes "lefty", "woke", "change". There isn't even an argument.

"Dorky" is a very kind way of putting it Chief

Very kind indeed.
My kindness knows no bounds.

Waving the flag harder as your only response to criticism of the flag and the date is just lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back