that kept him out of the team throughout 2022"
Daniel Motlop (83 games)
Grand Finalist
Indigenous All Stars
Inernational Team
PAFC Leading Goal Kicker

Jasper Pittard (31 games)
"Pittard played all 22 games in 2019 and finished 9th
in North Melbourne's Best and Fairest for the season.
After playing the first 11 games of season 2020,
Pittard was dropped from the North Melbourne side
along with several other teammates due to the team's
poor start to the season. Pittard did not play another game
for the club and was delisted at the end of the 2020 AFL season."
Lindsay Thomas (7 games)
Took out Selwood
Jason Horne-Francis (TBC)
199 Games and counting
2 Grand Finalists
1 Premiership Player
1 Norm Smith Winner
136 Games

But they got more out of Paul Geister than we did, so Norf win.

But they got more out of Paul Geister than we did, so Norf win.

Well technically, the way I've structured the info, he'd add one more game to our side of the ledger.

Polec literally lasted as long as our medical staff said he would - three years.
Maybe. Anyone could see going to a team playing / training on the concrete that is Docklands often was the worst possible sort of team to go to for him. If he'd stuck with us or gone to a big Vic club that largely avoided Docklands I think he'd have last longer. North, using their brilliant medical analysis (as per JHF) figured they'd defy the obvious and it backfired.

Polec didn't put the hard yards in, to get the most from his talent (if he'd bothered to train hard and show a defensive side he'd have some AA's), but the biggest take out from this, is any player who is not 100% fit and 100% in love with North already, would be bat-s**t crazy to go there.

I thought at the time it wasn't a good move for the polecat or North.
I wonder if playing on the carpark more often had a impact on his stress injury in his foot?

Polec did well from the deal financially but from a North perspective that has to one of the biggest dud deals of all time. Maybe Polec's management shopped him around and struck gold and maybe our Club knew more than we think ? We were never going to match North's offer and maybe there were off field issues and questions about Polec's long term durability? If so it points to some shoddy research on North's part.

I pains me to admit this but when you look at Polec's career Hinkley got the best football out of him. Polec had issues at Brisbane and after a reasonable first year did very little at North and his best footy was played with us. Better not broadcast it too much lest Kochie adds it to his 'Keep Hinkley' dossier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was that the game where the Bulldogs ran over the top of us because Stringer got moved to his wing and polec refused to go near him to defend?
No.

But Polec shouldn't have been in that position for more than one play. We know he ain't got defending ability. Bulldogs exposed us. On field leaders and coaches did nothing to correct it.

Fool me once, shame on Jared.
Fool me twice, shame on Port.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Polec did well from the deal financially but from a North perspective that has to one of the biggest dud deals of all time. Maybe Polec's management shopped him around and struck gold and maybe our Club knew more than we think ? We were never going to match North's offer and maybe there were off field issues and questions about Polec's long term durability? If so it points to some shoddy research on North's part.

I pains me to admit this but when you look at Polec's career Hinkley got the best football out of him. Polec had issues at Brisbane and after a reasonable first year did very little at North and his best footy was played with us. Better not broadcast it too much lest Kochie adds it to his 'Keep Hinkley' dossier.
From memory I think North had advertised an accumulated TPP deficit "war chest" to target high profile players and the prior year missed out on a couple of targeted players whose names escapes me. To keep the pitchfork crowd at bay they threw a "Hail Mary" at Polec which everyone knew was over the fecking top.

From memory I think North had advertised an accumulated TPP deficit "war chest" to target high profile players and the prior year missed out on a couple of targeted players whose names escapes me. To keep the pitchfork crowd at bay they threw a "Hail Mary" at Polec which everyone knew was over the fecking top.
Think it was Josh Kelly and Andrew Gaff. Maybe Dustin Martin?

Can't lie, I read this thread title as Jared Poulton.

Was that the game where the Bulldogs ran over the top of us because Stringer got moved to his wing and polec refused to go near him to defend?

No.

We won that game by 72 points and Schulz kicked 8.

Amazing by the Bulldogs though if they did run over the top of us from 56 points down in the last quarter.

No.

But Polec shouldn't have been in that position for more than one play. We know he ain't got defending ability. Bulldogs exposed us. On field leaders and coaches did nothing to correct it.

Not an excuse. He was on him for 2 minutes. Its not hard to stand near someone

Ports wouldn't offer Polec a long term contract because they were concerned about his durability. That decision appears to be vindicated.
Yes.

But a reminder of how valuable he was as a Port player for the 5 years he was (having played just 16 games in 3 years with Brisbane before joining us):

2014 - played 24 out of 25 possible AFL games
2015 - played 5 out of 22 possible AFL games (stress fracture to the navicular bone in his left foot in the Round 5 game against Adelaide)
2016 - played 17 out of 22 possible AFL games
2017 - played 22 out of 23 possible AFL games
2018 - played 22 out of 22 possible AFL games

The fact that Polec played almost all the games in the 3 years since his 2015 foot injury is a credit to him and Port's injury management protocols. It was the same injury that ruined his career with North.

Outside wingers often get criticised but it is rare to find one capable of delivering the ball into the forward line with such grace and accuracy as Polec did when he was at Alberton.

No.

Lol yes.

Stringer tore us a new a-hole from halfway through Q3 to early in Q4 in a game decided by a kick.

And Polec was dropped for a ‘lack of defensive effort’ — despite our next game being on the wingman’s paradise of Subiaco — as if that result wasn’t precisely the collective sh¡t we’ve always served up and continue to serve up under Brilliant Mind.

Outside wingers often get criticised but it is rare to find one capable of delivering the ball into the forward line with such grace and accuracy as Polec did when he was at Alberton.

Also put his knack of finding space to good use by taking it upon himself to drift back to play goalkeeper as Brisbane threatened to cause a massive upset at Adelaide Oval in Round 3 2018, marking on the goalline to save everyone’s bacon with seconds left in Q4.

Not an excuse. He was on him for 2 minutes. Its not hard to stand near someone

It’s literally not his role. It would be like sticking Tom Clurey in the ruck and blaming him for losing hit outs. Two minutes. It’s a long time in footy. I’ve seen ammos identify mismatches and correct them in seconds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also put his knack of finding space to good use by taking it upon himself to drift back to play goalkeeper as Brisbane threatened to cause a massive upset at Adelaide Oval in Round 3 2018, marking on the goalline to save everyone’s bacon with seconds left in Q4.

Incidentally, that was the last time we beat Brisbane, who are the only team we are currently a genuine bunny against.

We've beaten every other team except Melbourne since the start of 2021 (last beat Melbourne in 2020).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back