Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

About right, no real surprise at all. You can't call opponents a slur during a footy game.

I'd suggest that if we came out on day 1 and announced a club imposed 2 game suspension, the AFL might have just gone along with that, but again we didn't handle it that well. The chances of it coming up again soon are quite low so there is no point calling for consistency going forward.

it's about right. I don't get the outrage personally

I thought, on the scale of what was said, not as bad as Walker but worse than Clarkson (that's just me though), so it seems around the mark. Worst part has been the media circus, which the AFL let drag on for 5 days now

the handwringing and gnashing of teeth is a bit embarrassing tbh
Well I am not happy. For a start what about all the other Port players. Surely they know they are accessories to the crime. They should all submit apologies to the AFL for bringing the game into disrepute . They should all be sent to the corner of the room to consider their behaviour. Even all the coaches need to be reprimanded as well. Its such a poor look. The AFL knows that Port are a serially offender here in all matters of bad behaviour. Honestly ban the club for the rest of the season. Only all the other clubs show proper respect for the rules. I had enough!!!

Well I am not happy. For a start what about all the other Port players. Surely they know they are accessories to the crime. They should all submit apologies to the AFL for bringing the game into disrepute . They should all be sent to the corner of the room to consider their behaviour. Even all the coaches need to be reprimanded as well. Its such a poor look. The AFL knows that Port are a serially offender here in all matters of bad behaviour. Honestly ban the club for the rest of the season. Only all the other clubs show proper respect for the rules. I had enough!!!
great now we've moved into hysteria

About right, no real surprise at all. You can't call opponents a slur during a footy game.

I'd suggest that if we came out on day 1 and announced a club imposed 2 game suspension, the AFL might have just gone along with that, but again we didn't handle it that well. The chances of it coming up again soon are quite low so there is no point calling for consistency going forward.
Nah, a slur in a game of footy, never happened before and never will again. Lol.

Finlayson using a homophobic word to a straight opponent and getting 3 weeks is ridiculous. The reason Jordan Clark wasnt reported for saying '****** idiot' to an umpire is because he was in fact correct and the umpire is in fact a ****** idiot 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be interesting to see where the PAFC goes to from here. The Club is in a tight spot as any appeal would bring the queer community out in force. As the AFL is preoccupied with presenting a squeaky clean image an appeal, if it is even possible, would be unlikely to succeed.

I would like us to appeal but I think it would be unwise.

It will be interesting to see where the PAFC goes to from here. The Club is in a tight spot as any appeal would bring the queer community out in force. As the AFL is preoccupied with presenting a squeaky clean image an appeal, if it is even possible, would be unlikely to succeed.

I would like us to appeal but I think it would be unwise.
I can't see it getting worse.

I mean maybe first we talk to any affected people at the club and see how they feel given context. Maybe some AFLW players. We aren't trying to dodge anything here, but shouldn't just take the BS.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

The "educational" aspect to the punishment is your first clue that this is virtue signaling BS. As Davies said, every player has done the education 10x over. When you verbally abuse somebody, you are TRYING to offend them, that's the whole point. He knew it was bad to say it when he said, that's WHY he said it. Does that make mean Finlayson hates gay people, or lgbtq+ people or whatever, I highly doubt it. Context does matter. Having said that, should he be saying it? No. Does it hurt people other than the person he said it to? You'd have to ask them. We'd likely not even know about it if he didn't self report. "Community standards" have no doubt deemed this word unacceptable for a long time now, so there's really no excuse, but I do sometimes wonder about the slippery slope of the moving goalposts of "community standards". What if he called him fat? How many of you ever directly associated the word Clarkson said with homophobia? I know if you put 2 and 2 together it is, but how many of you are thinking about anatomy when you call somebody an a$$hole? For Finlayson, It's 3 games, you can't condone the use of that word, it's probably right on the line between too harsh and not harsh enough. I think in the Clarkson case, it's not so much what he said, but the fact that he abused the other players at all.

As I understand it we did not have that option. Once the AFL announced that the Integrity Unit was conducting an investigation into the matter it was taken out of the hands of the PAFC and any penalty was up to the AFL Executive General Manager of Football Laura Kane. This is about presenting an image in the market place and therefore the AFL has to be seen to be in control.

Last edited:
What do people expect the club to do in this situation? You could basically see on Davies' face that they're in a no win situation. You defend and the media will be all about how the Port Adelaide Football Club condones / is defending homophobia. That's the headlines. That's what we're dealing with these days and every idiot opposition supporter will run with it because "F*ck Port Adelaide right?" until it comes time for their club.

I wonder if anyone has called Cox four eyes? Is it ok to call a player gay? Calling a player a moron or an idiot is definitely crossing the line.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back