Past Joel Patfull (2005-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Goodes was in brownlow form last night. Was obvious from the outset Joel was in for a tough night. He was far from our worst, but still comprehensively beaten.
The only time Patfull was anywhere near Goodes was when they were waiting for the centre bounce after a goal.

Joel has done a good job on Goodes in the past. Saturday night was not his best, but at least Joel had plenty of friends..... who also had ordinary nights.

A very good game against Adelaide, his best for a long while. Then, back to his worst Saturday night- it was all just too hard.

Then again, as pointed out Joel was far from alone in avoiding any unnecessary contact.

Guys I've come back to Brisbane after 9 years out of the country so I am getting to games and seeing a decent amount of lions football for the first time since 2002. I have to say that in the games I've been to, St Kilda, North, Sydney I was not hugely impressed by Patfull, he seemed at least a yard of the pace and his man throughout. He seems to have a good rep on the boards though so is there something I'm missing?

Round 13 vs Richmond

The absence of Daniel Merrett, arguably the AFL's premier last-line defender, won't necessarily leave the Lions vulnerable to reigning Coleman medallist Jack Riewoldt, according to Brisbane boss Michael Voss. Voss today said he had a plan A, B and C for the Richmond spearhead tomorrow night, with Joel Patfull likely to get first crack.

patfull22.jpg

Link

Patfull must take up the mantle as the Lions No.1 backman in the absence of highly respected fullback Daniel Merrett and guarding Riewoldt, the AFL's second highest goal scorer this season, is no mean feat.

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath

Hey Ash. I’ve been reading through the columns each week and was just wondering if you could give us an update on poor Joely Patfull, has he found love yet? Or is he still lonely with nobody to watch The Notebook with? Lol.
Tina from Hobart (TAS)

Joel Patfull is still single and still lonely watching The Notebook all by himself with a block of chocolate and a glass of red. So like I said, if anyone’s interested just fling us a note and we’ll try to set him up.

patfull16.jpg

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath

Heya Boonj! Can you please tell Joel Patfull to shave his head, it would do him a favour! Especially with the girls! The hair he has going looks kinda goofy!
Ashlin from Balwyn North (VIC)

I will definitely tell him that Ashlin. I have told him to shave his head MANY times, but he thinks he’s got a good thing going. He thinks the girls love it. So I will show him your question. We call him “Trumpy” because his fringe looks like it’s been stuck on like Donald Trump.

patfull36.jpg

Re: North Melbourne v Brisbane Lions

Was just looking at the stats before and disappointed to see that our three tall defenders had stats of Maguire (3), Patfull (4) and McKeever (7).

I must say those stats weren't noticeble whilst at the game and a bit has already been spoken of Maguire, but what on earth has happened to Patfull recently? He is definitely an integral part of our side, but he used to provide so much rebound and attacking forays in years gone by and we rarely see it these days, maybe it has something to do with the absence of Merrett and the added responsibility.

, but what on earth has happened to Patfull recently? He is definitely an integral part of our side, but he used to provide so much rebound and attacking forays in years gone by and we rarely see it these days, maybe it has something to do with the absence of Merrett and the added responsibility.

Criticism of Patfull is a little unfair, I think.

We haven't had a settled back six all year.

First Staker went down in Round 1, then both Drummond and Adcock had injury issues and to cap it all off, we lost our number one defender in Merrett.

We have even had to shuffle McGrath in and out of the forward line, sometimes in desperation to find another scoring option.

Just about the only constant has been Patfull himself and maybe Hanley....and, apart from the fact that Pearce is more geared to the rebound style of play, Hanley is still learning how to play the game!

Little wonder the poor bugger hasn't had too much time to do anything else than to try to shore up a much beleaguered defense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Criticism of Patfull is a little unfair, I think.

My post was no doubt poorly worded, but I wasn't intending on criticising Joel, I value his ability and role he has played a lot, but merely pointing out that his numbers were lower than expected.

I agree Luthor, that his role has changed significantly this year w/o the likes of Merrett, Staker, Drummond, Maguire (injured for big chunks of the year) and the absence of McGrath (playing further up the ground). Joel is obviously at his best IMO when he can run and carry the ball and attack through the middle, which is clearly difficult when you are manning the best or second best key forward. Joel is best when he is playing on the third key position forward or even on the mid sized guys which he is very capable.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that in no way was I intending to criticise Joel, and should have made it more clear that with the added burden and responsibility this year we are seeing him play a vastly different and important role to our side. I would also like to point out that his confidence would have been shot after some of those terrible umpiring decisions against him.

Joel has got to be my favourite player. His work and committment are amazing. Not to mention I have a soft spot for defenders.

The last couple of games haven't been so good for him though. Umpies must have it in for him or something, that one last week (holding) was complete rubbish.

Oh, and as it's my first post, hi, I'm Kezza of Section 13 of the Gabba (or Toowoomba when there's no footy). :)

Welcome to the board kezza. Poor Patfull's been pretty hard done-by the last couple of weeks. A couple of blatantly wrong calls against him along with a few iffy ones would be enough to knock the confidence a bit.

From memory he also got pinged for a throw in the defensive 50 against Geelong, which looked like a legitimate handball.

He never seems to say anything to the umpire though. Just a look of disbelief as he watches the replay.

Welcome to the board kezza. Poor Patfull's been pretty hard done-by the last couple of weeks. A couple of blatantly wrong calls against him along with a few iffy ones would be enough to knock the confidence a bit.

Thanks. I remember in basketball as a defensive player you never got the kudos in the first place-throw bad umpiring in on top of that and part of you just gave up.

From memory he also got pinged for a throw in the defensive 50 against Geelong, which looked like a legitimate handball.

He never seems to say anything to the umpire though. Just a look of disbelief as he watches the replay.

I guess that's one of the things I admire about him-never whinges, just cops it and moves on.

(Plus he looks cute when he's annoyed lol)

Still one of my best memories of Patfull is a few years back when he broke his jaw. We ended up winning the game, and when they showed the boys singing the song the look stuck on Patfull's face just cracked me up. It was obvious then his jaw was broken, he just had a stunned mullet look on his face because he couldn't move his jaw to sing the song.

Still one of my best memories of Patfull is a few years back when he broke his jaw. We ended up winning the game, and when they showed the boys singing the song the look stuck on Patfull's face just cracked me up. It was obvious then his jaw was broken, he just had a stunned mullet look on his face because he couldn't move his jaw to sing the song.

Mine's from 2008 when he ran the length of the ground to kick a goal against the Dogs. I've seen plenty of players do it and then not be able to kick a goal.

Made me tired just watching him!

Mine's from 2008 when he ran the length of the ground to kick a goal against the Dogs. I've seen plenty of players do it and then not be able to kick a goal.

Made me tired just watching him!

[YOUTUBE]o4ZH9Mo0EW4[/YOUTUBE]

By any chance was this the goal?

Simply an amazing bit of play :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back