Coach John Longmire - Part II

What should we do about the coaching situation?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is that the players love playing for him (only what I’ve heard) and appearances would indicate that. However, I have to (now) agree that he’s not doing enough during games and there’s a clear indicator for this reasoning...Josh Kennedy. He’s copping supremely heavy tags and Longmire isn’t willing to break them by pushing him forward to expose the tagger. The guy is 190cm, an excellent mark and excellent kick for goal FFS! Bring a kid into the guts, they offer enthusiasm, even if they’re inexperienced...just change it up. Not saying move Kennedy, just break the tag!
Yep could not agree more, in pre season he did this using papley and hayward (much to some posters disgust). However i think the demise of jack hanners and the injury to mills has stuffed us with rotations in that area. Not to mention papleys injury

We see teams do the same things against us. we are way too predictable and seem to be an easy team to pull apart atm....

I have heard a number of former players saying that in match committee meetings Sydney are the easiest to plan for in the sense that we don't change things up, and what we did last time is what we will do this time too.

Well we have it. No team in the league has less attacking flair which is a crime considering we have Buddy Franklin in our forward line.
We would have attacking flair if we actually had a coach that wanted to take the game on but he doesn't want us to. It is crap to watch and it will give us crap results going forward should we stick with it.

We would have attacking flair if we actually had a coach that wanted to take the game on but he doesn't want us to. It is crap to watch and it will give us crap results going forward should we stick with it.

and the way he is having the team play I would not be surprised if SCG crowd figures started really dropping off. It is a super unattractive style of play.

Surely the board has to be looking at his contract vs our game plan vs our improvement potential and considering an early pay out? I’ve been all for him prior to this campaign but we’re going backwards. Can probably guarantee Dew isn’t employing the same tactics at GC with his average cattle!

Sure we have injuries but they were minimal only a few weeks back when we were beating Preston U14’s!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I ask the same question that I always ask whenever people want him gone.

Who would be a better replacement?

Now I'm not saying he shouldn't go but we can't just get rid of him for the sake of just changing it up if there's noone out there that can take us to another level.

In a nice way

Leaves at years end

You can’t say he hasn’t had a good run?

You don’t think it’s time for a fresh face and different ideas?

Sure he has had a very good run but can’t see him walking away with two years of contract remaining.

Different ideas for sure.

Unlike others, I do rate the talent on our list, but I don’t necessarily think they are there yet (nor should they be). We have a lot of ‘bottom 6’ players that aren’t ready to push into the top 16 forcing a better quality bottom 6, and quite a number of players that will only ever be at best bottom 6.

Our list has been setup for our best 22 to be as good as any, if not the best in the competition. Each player replaced is replaced by a lessor player.

When we have Hannebery (under duress and question as to whether he should be playing), Jack (under performing) with both going down in the game against Geelong on top of Reid robbing us of contested marking in the air, Heeney out this week, Papley missing weeks, Melican missing whole year, Mills our etc

Then the likes of Dawson being injured who is one that could break into that bottom 6.

We have just been found wanting!

The likes of Robinson, Fox, Towers, Cunningham and Rohan are all bottom 6 and Jack and Hannebery on form as well. Just carrying too many who either don’t have the capacity to push the bottom 6 into quality, aren’t playing at their potential or kids in terms of experience or age (McCartin, Florent, Hayward, Ronke and Aliir) that lack consistency at this stage.

So I just think we need our best 22 out there at the very least to have a shot.

Now if we look at the Geelong game, the following players often get midfield minutes: Hannebery (has been s**t and now another actual injury), Jack (same as Hannebery), Heeney (concussed) and even Papley who would run through the middle. We also usethe option of Mills to fill a gap there which isn’t available.

This left the midfield duties to too few.

So I am not that surprised we struggled in the midfield this week and to a lessor extent last week. Dawson I think pretty much has to come in this week. Hopefully Papley and Heeney and Reid back too and we return some midfield depth and contested marking and push better quality into the ‘bottom 6’.

Last edited:
Two years is a big pay out. A year to go and it might be palatable. Problem for Ratten is that it’s rare to hire an unsuccessful coach. Even though he did a good job at the Blues.

Tempt Clarkson if not go Ratten

Dreaming

Or someone new, like give Shaw a go or look externally probably. But we don’t need Clarko or some big name

The other alternative that I think needs more exploring, is get Blakey out of the box, he is still next to horse, like let new fresh ideas take over on match day

I ask the same question that I always ask whenever people want him gone.

Who would be a better replacement?

Now I'm not saying he shouldn't go but we can't just get rid of him for the sake of just changing it up if there's noone out there that can take us to another level.

We also can’t sack a premiership and perennial finals coach mid year or even at all, he would need to walk away really,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back