Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

To get him and his family to move we'd need to pay massively over what he would get in Vic, which would eat into the footy dept. spending cap.

That's not an excuse not to chase him. That cap is only a soft cap which if we over spend we pay a tax back to the league. If we have the money and are willing to improve our coaching staff then we should do it.

That's not an excuse not to chase him. That cap is only a soft cap which if we over spend we pay a tax back to the league. If we have the money and are willing to improve our coaching staff then we should do it.
The Swans are a well managed and successful club. They make a good profit. Im sure some has been invested into the training ground outside the SCG and some invested in the new facilities coming on board next year, but Im also sure we can afford to pay a bit of tax

The Swans are a well managed and successful club. They make a good profit. Im sure some has been invested into the training ground outside the SCG and some invested in the new facilities coming on board next year, but Im also sure we can afford to pay a bit of tax

The soft cap is a dollar for dollar tax on football department spending. So if we spend more than $100,000 over the cap we have to give $100,000 to the AFL.

We already are right on the limit of the cap. No other club is over the limit. We are one of 6 clubs on or near the limit.

There were up to six clubs whose football department spending sat close to, or on, the soft cap limit of $9.5 million this year, with Sydney understood to be among them.

Spending on the training ground and the new facilities don't count under the soft cap.

To learn the defensive side of a game plan?

Horse: see sammy out there blake
caracella: yeah kicked 2 goals looks good
horse: watch this (picks up phone) move sammy back
caracella: oh wow revolutionary what other moves have you got?

silence

The soft cap is a dollar for dollar tax on football department spending. So if we spend more than $100,000 over the cap we have to give $100,000 to the AFL.

We already are right on the limit of the cap. No other club is over the limit. We are one of 6 clubs on or near the limit.

Spending on the training ground and the new facilities don't count under the soft cap.
It all costs money.. I was just suggesting the Swans have money

I expect Horse required additional cash in his new contract. I'd expect there is sfa scope to spend more. Like as not the Horse contract will lead to other cutbacks in the Footy Dept, not splurging on extra talent.

I expect Horse required additional cash in his new contract. I'd expect there is sfa scope to spend more. Like as not the Horse contract will lead to other cutbacks in the Footy Dept, not splurging on extra talent.

Can you tell me how this is anything other that completely baseless speculation?

Can you tell me how this is anything other that completely baseless speculation?

We were reputedly tight against the Soft Footy Cap. I believe it reasonable to assume that Horse successfully sought additional coin and that this has not eased our spending problem.

We were reputedly tight against the Soft Footy Cap. I believe it reasonable to assume that Horse successfully sought additional coin and that this has not eased our spending problem.
My Lord your constant bashing of Longmire is getting boring - you have absolutely no clue about his contract or his pay status or anything.
For all you know he could be coaching for free, simply for love of the club! Of course he wouldn't be, but the point is YOU DO NOT KNOW.

Used to b
My Lord your constant bashing of Longmire is getting boring - you have absolutely no clue about his contract or his pay status or anything.
For all you know he could be coaching for free, simply for love of the club! Of course he wouldn't be, but the point is YOU DO NOT KNOW.
Who are you replying to please .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is that reasonable to assume?

It is entirely possible that we offered him four more years on his current terms. He clearly wanted to stay in Sydney. He likes it here. He is passionate about the club. He was no doubt already on a very good salary as a premiership winning coach. He would be well aware of the pressures of the soft cap. He is currently in his least successful year on the field. We could have chosen this transition as a time to go to another coach. In this situation I don't see why you would assume that Longmire either sought or received additional salary.

So, your initial assumption has no grounds. From that initial assumption you then catastrophise, suggesting that this will (not "might, but the definite "will") lead to cuts in spending elsewhere in the football department. There is simply no reason to believe that this is true.

The only thing that is certain here is that your negativity about Longmire clouds your thinking so much that you create such a dire hypothetical scenario with such certainty. As if you didn't already blame Longmire for enough already, you are now damning him for a situation that only exists in your imagination. You just aren't rational when it comes to this subject.

It is entirely possible that we offered him four more years on his current terms. He clearly wanted to stay in Sydney. He likes it here. He is passionate about the club. He was no doubt already on a very good salary as a premiership winning coach. He would be well aware of the pressures of the soft cap. He is currently in his least successful year on the field. We could have chosen this transition as a time to go to another coach. In this situation I don't see why you would assume that Longmire either sought or received additional salary.

So, your initial assumption has no grounds. From that initial assumption you then catastrophise, suggesting that this will (not "might, but the definite "will") lead to cuts in spending elsewhere in the football department. There is simply no reason to believe that this is true.

The only thing that is certain here is that your negativity about Longmire clouds your thinking so much that you create such a dire hypothetical scenario with such certainty. As if you didn't already blame Longmire for enough already, you are now damning him for a situation that only exists in your imagination. You just aren't rational when it comes to this subject.
There is an ignore button RK

I am not bashing Longmire. It is perfectly reasonable to discuss a possible impact of the new contract.

Another poster cited an article saying our Cap was tight. Of course I do not know whether he got an increase or how much it was. Of course he could be volunteering as coach, but that is improbable. It is reasonable to assume that his new contract has an increase over the old one. If it does this will increase pressure on the Cap, certainly precluding recruitment of additional talent (Caracella was being discussed) and the Club will have a choice of finding savings if we are over the Cap or paying the AFL a tax.

While we were tight against the Soft Cap last year, you have to keep in mind we had a couple major of changes in the Football Department (We changed Football Manager, assistant coaches and different level of scouts) last year that would bring our spending down and would allow for any minor raise (if any) Horse would of got and still allow for improvements this off season in the assistant coaching ranks.

Neither do your assumptions. I reject the charges of negativity.

While we were tight against the Soft Cap last year, you have to keep in mind we had a couple major of changes in the Football Department (We changed Football Manager, assistant coaches and different level of scouts) last year that would bring our spending down and would allow for any minor raise (if any) Horse would of got and still allow for improvements this off season in the assistant coaching ranks.

Yep they are possibilities.

There is an ignore button RK

I don't want to ignore Bloodied52. They can be a great contributor on many subjects. On this subject, though, they have a bit of a complex that clouds their judgment. I think my response was pretty reasonable, but feel free to use the ignore button on me if my posting is such a problem for you.

Neither do your assumptions. I reject the charges of negativity.

Reject them all you want, it is plain for the rest of us to see.

What assumptions did I make? I simply put forward the fairly reasonable position that, in the absence of any evidence that a certain situation is true, it makes no sense to jump to conclusions with certainty as if it was.

I don't want to ignore Bloodied52. They can be a great contributor on many subjects. On this subject, though, they have a bit of a complex that clouds their judgment. I think my response was pretty reasonable, but feel free to use the ignore button on me if my posting is such a problem for you.
I didn't have a problem , just giving you an option as you seemed frustrated with the old fella. I'm not happy about Horse on a long term , but nothing I can do about it and hope i'm wrong and he gets a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back