Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we are definitely looking food for a creak in a couple of years. Look at the team we put out last week and think how many won't be on the list in three years time. I'd say Kennedy and Rampe would be the ones you wouldn't expect to still see, but basically everyone else will still be 30 or under, if not still under 25, in three years time. Guys like Aliir, Heeney, Mills, Hewett, Dawson, Papley etc. are all still sub-100 game players and are establishing themselves as long term leaders.

We have quality young players establishing themselves in every position, bar ruck. Address that, and put 50 more games experience in to the players and you have a team that is in prime position to create another sustained period of success.
I totally agree with what you are saying but that phrase gave me pause for quite a few seconds.. Lol! ;)

Obviously used to ‘satisfactory’ at school. Anything less than a flag will be a disappointment...that’s what coaches are hired for!
No, that so obviously not true and you really do know better! Winning a flag is what the players, coaches and fans want.

What the club wants (and they are the people who hire the coach), and in particular, the Sydney Swans want, is a competitive brand of football that will see them play finals year in year out to keep them at the forefront of the sporting market in Sydney.

Absolutely pissed off , started a fresh thread with was Longmire re-signs till 2023 , not Part iV. why go back to posts , just start afresh . In my opening post I said I don't hate Horse , I just wanted a fresh start , but I love the club and hope he gets a couple of flags.
Some people on here including those on my side of the fence need to move on, IT'S DONE , he has 4 years at least. Those on the other need to pull your heads in and stop the abuse .
Anyhow another Saturday , let's beat this blue scum Go the Bloods.

I hope Horse can deliver this time. Unlike the levels of mediocrity over the last 7 years.

Home is three grand finals and a win mediocrity?

Not his fault players didn't turn up in 2014 and the umpires wore an unlubed strap-on in 2016.

Even over the last 3 years we have had more debuts than any other team in the league and have still played finals whilst rebuilding.

If you want mediocrity maybe look at Hinkleys record.

No, that so obviously not true and you really do know better! Winning a flag is what the players, coaches and fans want.

What the club wants (and they are the people who hire the coach), and in particular, the Sydney Swans want, is a competitive brand of football that will see them play finals year in year out to keep them at the forefront of the sporting market in Sydney.
No I do not no better Kirky. They play the game to win flags, that’s what it’s all about, that’s what it’s always ever about.

Never known a punter to own a racehorse to come second all the time!

Absolutely pissed off , started a fresh thread with was Longmire re-signs till 2023 , not Part iV. why go back to posts , just start afresh . In my opening post I said I don't hate Horse , I just wanted a fresh start , but I love the club and hope he gets a couple of flags.
Some people on here including those on my side of the fence need to move on, IT'S DONE , he has 4 years at least. Those on the other need to pull your heads in and stop the abuse .
Anyhow another Saturday , let's beat this blue scum Go the Bloods.
Totally agree, all we will see is a rehash of crap. You should feel aggrieved and let down here for doing a common sense thing. In umpiring terms, someone has dropped the ball!

No I do not no better Kirky. They play the game to win flags, that’s what it’s all about, that’s what it’s always ever about.

It's different from a horse race though, and he is still good at getting us there (you have to be in it to win it). 3 grand finals in 9 years is a great strike rate and I think he is building his next team now.

It's different from a horse race though, and he is still good at getting us there (you have to be in it to win it). 3 grand finals in 9 years is a great strike rate and I think he is building his next team now.
Is it? There are 18 starters over the course of the journey, someone generally bolts out the gate and some stragglers fall behind. As the race gets longer, horses drop out of the race with ultimately one or two bolters having a crack to catch those out front. Some from the front begin to struggle and fall back out of contention. As they hit the straight, there only a few left with a real chance to win the big one until right near the end it pretty much becomes a two horse race.

There is only one winner.

Paper comes out, when does it read in the headline...’Horse comes second, owners delighted’?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the expectations have to be continued finals appearances and pushing for a flag by the time his deal runs out. I think that's reasonable. The club has made finals every year under Longmire - probably won't this year but it's reasonable to suggest we expect he make the finals every year from now given the emerging squad we have.

Pushing for the flag I think is reasonable too within the next few years. We've got a good group of young guys who, if fortified by some prime 25-29 year olds in the next two off-seasons (essential imo), could be primed and ready for being a contender.

Brisbane showed that a Northern club with a good group of young players can still go and recruit a big fish (Lachie Neale) in these post-Buddy/COLA times. We've just got to be bold and daring enough to do it.

Oh well. We did have a great list. We did well enough but did not reach our potential.

Our young list is ok. But we have more holes than a Trumpian denial. Maybe that will be addressed. The three we picked up in trades last year are honest journeymen. Clarke is the keeper but needs to spend his off season at the diesel school for mids and efficient disposal.

For the next few years I can see us being competitive but little more. The Vic and SA Clubs will look at our youngsters just as they do with the GoCo. I really hope we do not lose heart and soul players like Papley.

I hope we are able to keep Stevie J. The other Assistants leave me cold. Admittedly Cox has zip to work with. Our mids structures are built around defence. As often as not our mids sit on their Oppo. The expectation seems to be we wont win the ball on our own account.

Now we are stuck with Longmire, I hope we go for a refresh of our mids coaching. We are committed to providing McVeigh with an Assistant role. He has the intellect and strength of character to drive a new approach.

With less dollars in our soft cap, maybe Kirk will move on.

Home is three grand finals and a win mediocrity?

Not his fault players didn't turn up in 2014 and the umpires wore an unlubed strap-on in 2016.

Even over the last 3 years we have had more debuts than any other team in the league and have still played finals whilst rebuilding.

If you want mediocrity maybe look at Hinkleys record.

I assumed he was taking the piss.

I hope Horse can deliver this time. Unlike the levels of mediocrity over the last 7 years.
Lol! I'm thinking not many are recognising your sarcasm... or perhaps I'm not recognising theirs?

I think the expectations have to be continued finals appearances and pushing for a flag by the time his deal runs out. I think that's reasonable. The club has made finals every year under Longmire - probably won't this year but it's reasonable to suggest we expect he make the finals every year from now given the emerging squad we have.

Pushing for the flag I think is reasonable too within the next few years. We've got a good group of young guys who, if fortified by some prime 25-29 year olds in the next two off-seasons (essential imo), could be primed and ready for being a contender.

Brisbane showed that a Northern club with a good group of young players can still go and recruit a big fish (Lachie Neale) in these post-Buddy/COLA times. We've just got to be bold and daring enough to do it.

I agree, but instead of one big fish, maybe a few smaller but still very handy fish. Because I think we have a few future big fishes on the list already, and it will get expensive.

Well then, you're not listening to what they are telling us over and over again! Sydney is not the same proposition as Melbourne...

And seriously, NO team plays to win the flag every year imo. That's simply not a serious proposition for any team...

Well then, you're not listening to what they are telling us over and over again! Sydney is not the same proposition as Melbourne...

And seriously, NO team plays to win the flag every year imo. That's simply not a serious proposition for any team...
Not all , but some would.
It will now be more interesting going forward to see how he develops a younger list . Hope we can also freshen up the assistants and not just jobs for the boys.

ywsI8rm3VeYOTw7-jvlInZENkF0=.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back