Player Watch Jordan Roughead

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't think Roughead was that good in either game. He gave up 3 goals on Hawkins and 3 on Lynch. He has gotten caught on the lead a lot. Hawkins was smart with his leads with those arcing double backs. Lynch was more straight line but still caught him out by playing in front.

Tonight his field kicking was off. He also misread and overrun an intercept opportunity giving up another goal. His height has been really handy when the delivery is high and long. But that requires the game on our terms which isnt always going to be the case.

I reckon he can offer a Leroy Brown style output. Limited but important in a well defined role and strong system. I cant say im convinced on him yet.
Does not matter now with the possible re injury to Dunn, the jobs his now.

I didn't think Roughead was that good in either game. He gave up 3 goals on Hawkins and 3 on Lynch. He has gotten caught on the lead a lot. Hawkins was smart with his leads with those arcing double backs. Lynch was more straight line but still caught him out by playing in front.

Tonight his field kicking was off. He also misread and overrun an intercept opportunity giving up another goal. His height has been really handy when the delivery is high and long. But that requires the game on our terms which isnt always going to be the case.

I reckon he can offer a Leroy Brown style output. Limited but important in a well defined role and strong system. I cant say im convinced on him yet.

For what he is, a bandaid ready made cost nothing player who was probably finished otherwise, he's been great. We can cover his weaknesses but he offers what we were lacking.

For what he is, a bandaid ready made cost nothing player who was probably finished otherwise, he's been great. We can cover his weaknesses but he offers what we were lacking.

He'll prove to be a value buy. Dunns injury already demonstrates that. I'm not sure he fully accounts for what we lack though. What he offers is height and experience. He doesn't however give us a 2nd close checking key defender which I think is what we are lacking.

He'll prove to be a value buy. Dunns injury already demonstrates that. I'm not sure he fully accounts for what we lack though. What he offers is height and experience. He doesn't however give us a 2nd close checking key defender which I think is what we are lacking.
That probably brings up the argument again of why we should have chase May harder, instead of Beams.

Don't get me wrong. I love Beams in our side but I think May was more of a requirement.

We'd have loved Steven May but we didn't have the currency to get him, we threw all our eggs in the midfield basket by getting Beams so if Roughead can paper over that weakness I'll be happy. I think he can do it and we'll get away with it if Darcy stays healthy.

We'd have loved Steven May but we didn't have the currency to get him, we threw all our eggs in the midfield basket by getting Beams so if Roughead can paper over that weakness I'll be happy. I think he can do it and we'll get away with it if Darcy stays healthy.
It was Beams or May, and Beams wanted us more (possibly more than we needed him).

That probably brings up the argument again of why we should have chase May harder, instead of Beams.

Don't get me wrong. I love Beams in our side but I think May was more of a requirement.
Whether we like it or not, May was not possible. Not for what GC were requiring. Unless we traded a high profile player to get a top 5-10 pick.

Does not matter now with the possible re injury to Dunn, the jobs his now.

I don't think that's necessarily true. I'm not sold yet. He's a worry on the lead and hasn't looked flawless with high balls either. Is he an upgrade on Goldsack?

Personally, I'd be happy with Moore and Howe covering the talls and Langdon assisting in aerial duals. If we need extra assistance Murphy, if he develops could come into the equation.

Seems like people are putting roughead down a little on here, I reckon he's been awesome the past 2 games. To say he's a bandaid replacement after tonight is a bit harsh, still learning our gameplan and structure hes gonna be awesome for us.
I get the impression that he's got our structure and game plan down pat. I just think he looks a bit shaky defensively both on the lead and in terms of reading the ball flight on high balls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was Beams or May, and Beams wanted us more (possibly more than we needed him).
I don't think you understand. We likely would have been May's preference had he waited until the end of this year and became a free agent.

But the Suns wanted him out, and as a bloke still in contract a trade needed to be made. The pick 6 Melbourne got for Hogan was always going to be the winner. Our two biggest trade flight risks last year were Moore and Langdon, and neither of them are worth more than pick 6. Nor did their main suitor, Sydney, have the currency to give us that would ultimately suit the Suns.

We were never going to get May last year in a trade once the Freo CEO overruled Peter Bell and pushed through with the Hogan trade.

Whether we like it or not, May was not possible. Not for what GC were requiring. Unless we traded a high profile player to get a top 5-10 pick.

It depepended on IF Moore was Leaving or Staying

There’s something to be said for that.
Doubt we had the currency though.

May is a tough hombre, you’d have to be playing for the rabble he came from.

But we don’t have him, so looks like getting zrougheadas a cheapie is prudent.
We know for certain Roughead will Bri g all his experience and professionalism to the side so he’s going to be ok for us. Plus can do a spot of rucking down back.

I’d rather Reid.

Sure if Reid body was of the 2010/2011 vintage, imo he looks to have lost a yard and agility over the last 5 years.

Roughead did fine and will only build from here. He wads part of a unit that only conceded 66 points even last week vs Geelong they didn't score highly even with mids being defensively slack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back