Player Watch Josh Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh is a fantastic player and ought to be respected in his own right.

It's scary to think what Josh Daicos could be right now were it not for Buckley stalling 2 years of his development playing Tom Phillips and Callum Brown ahead of him

Reminder that we have 2x superstars with the surname Daicos.

You going to watch the game against Port in a Bali bar?

One of the split rounds, maybe 15 years ago, at a bar in Seminyak, Rocket Eade was seated by himself at the next table

He was coaching Doggies at the time

We exchanged friendly hellos then watched the match in a comfortable silence, 2 men lightly-tanned, who weren't going to post on the socials

It's scary to think what Josh Daicos could be right now were it not for Buckley stalling 2 years of his development playing Tom Phillips and Callum Brown ahead of him
He has become a very, very handy wingman. 20 disposals, can hit the scoreboard but also gets back in defence, and has sublime skills. Not quite Hugh McCluggage, but he is an excellent player.

I went and re-watched it to be sure, but my eyes weren't playing tricks. He actually celebrated that goal as it was leaving his boot. I dont think Ive ever seen a player do that. Thats some serious self belief in your skills. :tearsofjoy:

I just hope that when Josh wins the GOTY (again) the tv presenters and commentators can muster enough class and good manners to NOT make it about his Dad and/or brother this time. The dill Hamish McLachlan was cringeworthy and downright rude at the 2020 event.
Josh is a fantastic player and ought to be respected in his own right.
Side note… has anyone won the GOTY twice before now?
100% agree. Every time Josh does something good on the field, the commentators mention Peter and Nick... Or even worse - when he misses a shot on goal, they say something like "A rare miss from a Daicos"

It was embarrassing a few weeks ago when Josh was interviewed after the game (as he was one of our best) and they asked him about his brother and how good his brother was...

Having two Daicos stars in the team...wow...Jock Ted and Gerry would be ecstatic....Like having Geoff Hayward and Cam Donaldson in the same team.
Fly is up there with Laurie I reckon. What a coach.:tearsofjoy::tonguewink:
'Daicos' is the only name in this sentence that I recognised in context...

This is nonsense. The first two years of Josh’s career were spent getting him in AFL condition and getting his asthma under control so he could actually run out games. It had nothing to do with Buckley and everything to do with his fitness.

As Josh Daicos brilliantly controlled the ball at the MCG on Sunday, his mind returned to goalkicking contests in the backyard with brother Nick and father Peter.

Josh Daicos’s mind went back to his childhood with his famous father, Peter, and brother Nick.

For years growing up, the trio would have countless shots out in the backyard, or down at the local oval, curling and dribbling kicks home from the tightest of angles.
And when it was too dark to play, they would bring out the tapes of Peter’s extraordinary career where he made those sortsof ridiculous goals a regular highlight.
But on Sunday, it was Josh’s time to bring the MCG crowd to its feet on an extraordinary day for Collingwood.

Josh Daicos said he was living his dream playing each week alongside his brother, Nick, and knew what had to happen as he brilliantly tapped the ball along the boundary line, and sized up the goals on Saturday afternoon.

In that unforgettable moment, instincts took over. It was Daicos, deja vu.

“Growing up with Dad and Nick, that is all we did,” Josh Daicos said.

“We would go and play footy, kick goals and we would always run to the boundary. Thousands. Thousands of times.

3227c4efbc8c43b03e6e013d7b0e838a

“So I have learned that pretty well from Dad, I think, for sure. Maybe I have watched too many of his tapes?

“I’m quite comfortable from the boundary line and it turned out to be a nice goal.

“But once I kept it in (play) I knew I had to do something, so I was lucky I got on the end of it.”

The celebration was immediate as he pointed skywards and was mobbed by teammates.

His father, Peter, watching from the stands, flashed up on the big screen in full celebration mode, too.

“I did see him up there and I had a chuckle,” Josh said.

“He hasn’t been to many of the games lately, so I loved seeing him there.”

But what followed in the unforgettable end of the match was one of the club’s greatest moments as Elliott produced a clutch set shot for the ages.

As the Sherrin sailed through like a laser from 50m, Elliott calmly turned to the delirious Collingwood fan base and tugged his ear.

History was made. Collingwood was in the top four one month out from finals, a year after finishing second-last. And everything you want to know about the connection driving Collingwood’s finals charge was on show as players rushed to Elliott to hug the matchwinner.

Josh said it was a spine-tingling moment, and the goosebumps were still there in the rooms after the match. But he couldn’t bring himself to watch the kick.

“I was too nervous to look, so I was looking at the people (fans) on the (goal) line,” Josh said.

“The Essendon faces and our faces (told the story) and then I just bolted to Jamie.

“It was unbelievable.

“Even on the angle, I was pretty pumped that Jamie had the shot.

“He is such a pro, he is so good at his craft and is so cool, calm and collected.

“Our whole team is like that in those situations. I can’t speak more highly of ‘Fly’ (Craig McRae) and our leaders, they just want us to stay calm and play the game.

“We found a way.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As Josh Daicos brilliantly controlled the ball at the MCG on Sunday, his mind returned to goalkicking contests in the backyard with brother Nick and father Peter.

Josh Daicos’s mind went back to his childhood with his famous father, Peter, and brother Nick.

For years growing up, the trio would have countless shots out in the backyard, or down at the local oval, curling and dribbling kicks home from the tightest of angles.
And when it was too dark to play, they would bring out the tapes of Peter’s extraordinary career where he made those sortsof ridiculous goals a regular highlight.
But on Sunday, it was Josh’s time to bring the MCG crowd to its feet on an extraordinary day for Collingwood.

Josh Daicos said he was living his dream playing each week alongside his brother, Nick, and knew what had to happen as he brilliantly tapped the ball along the boundary line, and sized up the goals on Saturday afternoon.

In that unforgettable moment, instincts took over. It was Daicos, deja vu.

“Growing up with Dad and Nick, that is all we did,” Josh Daicos said.

“We would go and play footy, kick goals and we would always run to the boundary. Thousands. Thousands of times.

3227c4efbc8c43b03e6e013d7b0e838a

“So I have learned that pretty well from Dad, I think, for sure. Maybe I have watched too many of his tapes?

“I’m quite comfortable from the boundary line and it turned out to be a nice goal.

“But once I kept it in (play) I knew I had to do something, so I was lucky I got on the end of it.”

The celebration was immediate as he pointed skywards and was mobbed by teammates.

His father, Peter, watching from the stands, flashed up on the big screen in full celebration mode, too.

“I did see him up there and I had a chuckle,” Josh said.

“He hasn’t been to many of the games lately, so I loved seeing him there.”

But what followed in the unforgettable end of the match was one of the club’s greatest moments as Elliott produced a clutch set shot for the ages.

As the Sherrin sailed through like a laser from 50m, Elliott calmly turned to the delirious Collingwood fan base and tugged his ear.

History was made. Collingwood was in the top four one month out from finals, a year after finishing second-last. And everything you want to know about the connection driving Collingwood’s finals charge was on show as players rushed to Elliott to hug the matchwinner.

Josh said it was a spine-tingling moment, and the goosebumps were still there in the rooms after the match. But he couldn’t bring himself to watch the kick.

“I was too nervous to look, so I was looking at the people (fans) on the (goal) line,” Josh said.

“The Essendon faces and our faces (told the story) and then I just bolted to Jamie.

“It was unbelievable.

“Even on the angle, I was pretty pumped that Jamie had the shot.

“He is such a pro, he is so good at his craft and is so cool, calm and collected.

“Our whole team is like that in those situations. I can’t speak more highly of ‘Fly’ (Craig McRae) and our leaders, they just want us to stay calm and play the game.

“We found a way.”

Great little story.

What caught my eye though is what outstanding shape Josh is in. I'd kill to be that fit.

I wouldn't exercise enough, but I'd kill.

Change of body shape over one preseason seemed to help Daicos impact senior games. Not sure if more games earlier would have helped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back