Delisted Josh Green (2010-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Green To Return To Training

Forward Josh Green will return to the Lions’ main training group this week as continues his rehabilitation from surgery.

Green was dealt a blow in early January when it was revealed he was expected to miss 10 weeks with a fractured foot – the same foot that cost the 23-year-old six matches last season with a stress fracture.

“He’s got in a bunch of really good running sessions and he’s actually going to start training with the main group this week,” Lions Head of Physiotherapy Shane Lemcke told LionsTV.

Attack’s greener in this Lions side

CRUMBER Josh Green is looking forward to having a front-row seat when the Brisbane Lions unveil their new-look attack against the might of West Coast in Perth tomorrow. "The entire first 10 weeks aren't easy," Green told Australian Regional Media. "But the boys are up and about... we think we can surprise a few people."

Pocket rocket Green (176cm), who, having topped the club tally the last two seasons, now has more goals than any other current Lion (97 in 70 games), will be in the land of the giants. Alongside third-year Lions Freeman (198cm, 96kg) and McStay (195cm, 92kg), Walker (196cm, 95kg) has arrived from Geelong and the Brisbane-born Bell (187cm, 98kg) from Carlton.

Green says he has been particularly impressed with 199cm Schache, who the Lions have wasted no time in handing a debut. "I really like Josh Schache, just his attitude. It's his first year ... we're already relying on him a bit, but he's handled it really well," Green said. "He's going to be important for us for the next 12 to 15 years."

As another key forward, Michael Close (196cm, 95kg), recovers from a knee reconstruction, Green added: "We've probably got five or six (key forwards) now, whereas the past few years we've had one or two. "It's important they keep developing and keep putting weight on in the gym. "If we can have two or three of them kicking 40, 50 goals over the next few years it's going to bring crowds and help our team in general. It's exciting."

Green had been named on an extended interchange but was expected to line-up against last year's runners-up after recovering from a foot injury which sidelined for much of the summer. "I didn't see it coming. I was training well... doing all that was expected of me before Christmas, and came back and got a bit of a sharp pain," he recalled.

Among some tinkering with his training regimen - at and away from the club - he's changed boots. "It's hard to pinpoint what the problem was, but if you can look after your feet, get a bit of a wider shoe that supports that fifth metatarsal," he explained. While expectations on the Lions won't be high with them possessing the youngest list in the competition, Green says there has been "enthusiasm" and a "vibrant feel" during the pre-season.

"I'm one of the older boys now and it's taken me a while to realise that what I do the younger boys look up to," he said. "It's important that the guys that have been here five or six years, we start to drag the group up the ladder "From point of view, the big thing for us to improve from last year (four wins). "We don't want to set limits on the group, we also don't want to hope too highly for finals. "(But) you never know what could happen, we could come out and do some really exciting things."

Reserves Wrap - Gold Coast Suns - 26/03/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

First game back for Joshy after an extended lay off with a foot injury. He played more as a mid before he jumped on the highway and flew to Perth as an emergency. It was good for him to get a run under his belt. He was clean at ground level and did a couple of good things around the ground. It was good to get some game time into him. Unfortunately he didn’t get any over in WA, but he’s back in the mix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who gives a toss? Swing the axe, Leppa

Lewy Taylor and Josh Green were part of the exciting 'Mozzie Squad' in 2014, but so far this year, there's been a lot of buzz and not much bite.

In three games, Keays has made 19 tackles. Taylor has made 15 in seven games and Green 14 in five. And the latter pair are out-of-contract and hoping to secure big deals.

Taylor and Green are dreaming if they hope to secure big deals, and if anything, Green is to procure a big deal, it should be a heavily incentivised performance based deal.

I would be upset if we lose Josh....isn't he allowed to have down games like others do? Merrett for example has had plenty.

..Josh has been one of our main goal kickers in recent times....we need him imo. He just needs to find form and confidence, he won't find that if he feels he's not wanted.

He has been poor for more than one game. He's allowed to have down games if the effort is there but he has been incredibly selfish in the way he has played lately... he's not doing the team stuff and is constantly looking for the cheap ball. Needs a kick up the arse. Not performing like someone who is asking for a fat contract from the club.

Goal kicking is just one part of part of his role. The forward pressure is equally if not more important.

I feel like people are giving him an easy out by constantly saying he "has been been our leading goalkicker". True, but that's hardly a great accomplishment in recent years. He is a fair way off the good small forwards, let alone the elite ones.

Last edited:
I would say the whole team haven't been doing team stuff and need a kick up the arse........but I know what you mean, I just think he is worth saving, not pushed out.

He has been poor for more than one game. He's allowed to have down games if the effort is there but he has been incredibly selfish in the way he has played lately... he's not doing the team stuff and is constantly looking for the cheap ball. Needs a kick up the arse. Not performing like someone who is asking for a fat contract from the club.

Goal kicking is just one part of part of his role. The forward pressure is equally if not more important.

I feel like people are giving him an easy out by constantly saying he "has been been our leading goalkicker". True, but that's hardly a great accomplishment in recent years. He is a fair way off the good small forwards, let alone the elite ones.
I'm inclined to go easy on him this year due to his injuries that ruined his off season. I know he can do better but I don't think his fitness is where it needs to be. A player like Green is really mostly a product of his midfield. An opportunist who hasn't been getting opportunities because of our midfield.

nice little comment by damo about josh green in his article, thought he was too obscure of a lions player for him to give a toss...but hey he loves a good kick the lions when theyre down story

My thoughts exactly. Well said.

Yeah, 24 this year with 75 games under his belt. He hasn't got inexperience or youth on his side anymore - he should be a consistent performer now.

NEAFL Match Preview: Round 8 v GIANTS
GREENER PASTURES

Josh Green has been named in the middle, as Justin Leppitsch looks to get some miles into the 23-year-old livewire’s legs. In addition to hunting for the ball in the centre, Green will likely sneak forward and have an impact on the scoreboard and support the recalled Walker and Archie Smith, who had arguably the best game of his short career against Sydney Uni last week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back