Kennedy-McHale Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Apologies for the intrusion, sorry if this is not appropriate. Just looking for some info on this Cup, played for when Collingwood and Hawthorn meet in the home & away season.

Namely -

What year did it start?
Is it always for the first meeting of the two sides each year?
Is it still current?

Appreciate any info, cheers

Never heard of it. Are you sure it exists?
The two clubs played for the trophy for the first time in Round 1, 2001. Hawthorn won!

There doesn't seem to be any evidence online that suggests the clubs played for this cup again, yet I can't imagine why it would have been just a one-off event.

Last edited:
The two clubs played for the trophy for the first time in Round 1, 2001. Hawthorn won!

There doesn't seem to be any evidence online that suggests the clubs played for this cup again, yet I can't imagine why it would have been just a one-off event.

I'll never forget 2000 Round 1. If anyone can remember Quarterbrain was the Channel 10 sports reporter, and in his tips before round 1 he said, Hawthorn easily over Collingwood. That was the game where Fraser, Ben Johnson, Leon Davis and Chippa Adkins all made their debut's. We smashed them by 54 points and Adkins kicked an awesome goal from the boundary and looked like having an awesome career.

We had the best view of it in the ground, it was also 35 degrees and I got absolutely fried.

I'm pretty sure that is 100% spot on, perhaps CFC2010 can clarify he's a bit of a historian on this board. :laughing:

Last edited:
Who is this Kennedy bloke?
Ben Kennedy?

Small fellow who played for us must ave moved to Hawthorn via Melbourne, surely?

Once he left Collingwood it was amazing what a good player he became.

I'll never forget 2000 Round 1. If anyone can remember Quarterbrain was the Channel 10 sports reporter, and in his tips before round 1 he said, Hawthorn easily over Collingwood. That was the game where Fraser, Ben Johnson, Leon Davis and Chippa Adkins all made their debut's. We smashed them by 54 points and Adkins kicked an awesome goal from the boundary and looked like having an awesome career.

I had the best view of it in the ground, it was also 35 degrees and I got absolutely fried.

I'm pretty sure that is 100% spot on, perhaps CFC2010 can clarify he's a bit of a historian on this board. :laughing:
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2000/041020000313.html

Yes indeed, we won the 2000 Round 1 game against the Hawks by 54 points, and those four players made their debuts (three 18-year-olds and one 19-year-old).

7 out of 8 tipsters in the Football Record picked Hawthorn to beat us, so we were seemingly not expected to win.

I've no idea about the temperature (the Record just says it was hot), but I'll take your word for it!

There's a few minutes worth of (very enjoyable) highlights here:-

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back