Kyabram DFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

If you get good ones they will actually generate more than your paying them.
Pay a couple of Administrators to lead the way.
We paid an administrator to do a bunch of extra roles, grants, membership packs… a long list of jobs. Half the persons salary was found in a grant early on, by themselves. It helped us secure our new netball courts and grants for football oval and general club improvements.

But they were being paid to do all the extra things that clubs volunteers don’t find time to do. What we paid for doesn’t help clubs to find a President, Secretary, treasurer and all the other important roles.

The best way is to really break down roles, have sub-committees for football, netball, social, etc. put lots of roles forward that people can chip away at without being on the committee.

But I acknowledge that that can be hard in itself, to find the 15-20 people willing to take in big or small jobs.

What if the best ones are already volunteering?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Find a way too look after them in some shape or form it really depends on who it is. Some may not want it others would really appreciate it and may lift their output off the back of it. President Sec & Tres are huge roles that are worthy of some form of payment IMO. What's your thoughts?

Find a way too look after them in some shape or form it really depends on who it is. Some may not want it others would really appreciate it and may lift their output off the back of it. President Sec & Tres are huge roles that are worthy of some form of payment IMO. What's your thoughts?

My first thought is that it seems a bit counterproductive to have our hands out while trying to raise the funds.

I suppose if you had the flexibility to drop back to 4 days a week doing the “day job” and being employed by the club for the extra day could work. It would need some real targets attached and expectations around what is to be achieved. For that sort of commitment across the year you’d be earning $15-$18k for the 52 weeks.

A danger that club volunteers would expect everything to be done by said employee, which doesn’t really solve the issue. The work at a FNC does have busier and quieter times. Let me keep thinking about it!

My first thought is that it seems a bit counterproductive to have our hands out while trying to raise the funds.

I suppose if you had the flexibility to drop back to 4 days a week doing the “day job” and being employed by the club for the extra day could work. It would need some real targets attached and expectations around what is to be achieved. For that sort of commitment across the year you’d be earning $15-$18k for the 52 weeks.

A danger that club volunteers would expect everything to be done by said employee, which doesn’t really solve the issue. The work at a FNC does have busier and quieter times. Let me keep thinking about it!

Not a good outcome last night for Ardmona with only about six turning up for their AGM and none of those willing to put their hands up for a position .So another will be held next week it’s certainly not looking good for the bush cats

Last edited:

What you said is about spot on. We essentially paid a past treasurer, to work a day a week for the club, or thereabouts. We only used it for a year and half before he moved on to do with his own circumstances. It wasn’t quite 15k as you mentioned, closed to 10k. Which is probably fairly cheap for the role. But I guess it wasn’t a 52 a week job either, what we were doing.

We got our worth from the 1.5 years, and would do it again in a heartbeat for the right person.

If you averaged out 10k or whatever per game, it’s about what you’d pay a very good KDFNL player. That the rationale about it in my mind. You’d pay a very good player to do that on the field, so should be paying someone very good off the field to do it and do xyz for the club.

But what you said makes sense about the best people already being internal.

In our situation, the treasurer was great but stepping away for work commitments, however was able to say I can do this (xyz) if you can pay this (xyz)… and there were a few options that he put forward to us.

But not every club has that sort of money spare for their players and incentives or staff like trainers.

Should there be some sort of grant to each club, or struggling clubs, 5k or 10k to pay people to do certain roles?

Not a good outcome last night for Ardmona with only about six turning up for their AGM and none of those willing to put their hands up for a position .So another will be held next week it’s certainly not looking good for the bush cats
What happened to Crawford?

Ardmona AGM scheduled for tonight. Will be interested see hear what becomes of the bush cats!
I see Dookie have also battled to fill executive positions at their AGM. That is the 4th club that has had to reschedule an AGM in the hope to fill exec positions. A sign that the work to run country football business is becoming tougher and tougher!

What is the big picture solution?

Yes running clubs is harder with more paper work etc to do.

But personally I think what’s happened in Senior Footy over the last day 20 yrs has a lot to do with it.

Loyalty to a club is no where were it used to be. So the culture of playing then still being there after to give back isn’t as strong.

With such a high % of Senior Footballers getting paid and moving around from club to club , how does that build a love for the whole club instead of just the team.

How many players play 150-200 senior games for the one club these days. Not many.

And funny enough when you look at games played- Honour boards then look across to the President-Treasurer Committee boards. You see a lot of names on both.

Those blokes played for the club.

These days there is a lot less of that.

Country Footy Clubs have lost alot of culture. And many that’s their own doing And it’s hurting them now

Last edited:
Yes running clubs is harder with more paper work etc to do.

But personally I think what’s happened in Senior Footy over the last day 20 yrs has a lot to do with it.

Loyalty to a club is no where were it used to be. So the culture of playing then still being there after to give back isn’t as strong.

With such a high % of Senior Footballers getting paid and moving around from club to club , how does that build a love for the whole club instead of just the team.

How many players play 150-200 senior games for the one club these days. Not many.

And funny enough when you look at games played- Honour boards then look across to the President-Treasurer Committee boards. You see a lot of names on both.

Those blokes played for the club.

These days there is a lot less of that.

Country Footy Clubs have lost alot of culture. And many that’s their own doing And it’s hurting them now
I don't actually think that's correct there has been very minimal player movement this Season as a whole across Country Football. I know the more interesting story is for Football Followers to talk about guys moving for big cash but the reality is those instances aren't near as prominent as many think. Alot of Clubs get 75 to 80% of their playing list tied down pretty easily and reasonably priced the effort and higher payments are arm wrestled with the smaller percentage.

I don't actually think that's correct there has been very minimal player movement this Season as a whole across Country Football. I know the more interesting story is for Football Followers to talk about guys moving for big cash but the reality is those instances aren't near as prominent as many think. Alot of Clubs get 75 to 80% of their playing list tied down pretty easily and reasonably priced the effort and higher payments are arm wrestled with the smaller percentage.

I’m not talking the last yr.
I’m talking the last 20 yrs.

And I’m not saying it’s all about the big dollars.

In the GV most Senior players are paid. Once past their prime many wonder out to HDFL and KdFL for a couple of years.

I don’t see many of those guys lining up for jobs.

There ain’t that many one club players anymore. Or at least nothing like there used to be

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the GV most Senior players are paid. Once past their prime many wonder out to HDFL and KdFL for a couple of years.

There ain’t that many one club players anymore. Or at least nothing like there used to be

I’m with GrassKat! On first thought think it is seems counter intuitive to solve an issue by paying someone, when the issue is in fact created by having to pay people!
the financial pressure on clubs is bottom line what will kill majority of our country clubs. 2nd place would be the disintegrating participation numbers in general within our society!

There are too many clubs vs the people who want to participate.
An interesting future ahead for our league and all local leagues in our area!

Last edited:

It's probably irrelevant to look too far back now as we their are Salary Caps in place. Are there less one Club players these days? Possibly but I don't think there would be a big difference in numbers from 20 to 30 years ago in that either.

The problem is many players don't live in small towns to take on club roles like a president after they retire and volunteer numbers would be dwindling. I think you'll see coaches doing the admin role as a full time role

Has anyone heard any whispers on a round 1 date or fixture releases?
You read my mind Unc, I'm hearing 1st Round is April 23rd? Week after Easter? If true gee that's a late start to the season? With Ardy "unlikely" that means no weekly byes so we'd be relying on split rounds or general bye's? So having a late start doesn't leave much room for error??

Marlon Picket is a great story of redemption, think in life everyone deserves second chances.
I have no role with Shepp East before you shoot me down.

Didn’t say he didn’t deserve a second chance, was just asking a question if he had landed there,

and was just wondering how things will pan out, since he was at one of there functions when it all happened

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There is a process in place out there with recruits so it would be ticked off or line through if they were not comfortable.

Pretty sure after a function away from the club, there would be a lot of Clubs hoping that what happen’s after functions away from there control wouldn’t reach big footy.

Name Chopstick?
Tyler Pedretti did a stint in the pen for what Chopsticks is alluding too. Chopsticks as a Tally man has failed to mention though they allowed him to play the rest of the Season when it happened. He played some games at Shepp United this year seems to have himself on the right track now. The offence was against a Shepp East player at the time & after a Shepp East function at a Major Sponsor so could see why they may have blocked him despite evidence of some rehab.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back