Kyle Chalmers - Port Adelaide Ambassador

Remove this Banner Ad

Just announced his retirement after Paris Games. Great career in the pool.
Actually he only announced it would be his last Olympics not the end of his career in the pool. As I wrote in my previous post, I can see him continuing to swim 50m freestyle and 50m butterfly post Paris at other international events. Yesterday he came out and clarified his last Olympics / non retirement comment.

Olympic and world champion sprint king Kyle Chalmers has revealed Paris 2024 will likely be his last Olympics.
Just over a week after Chalmers stormed to a stunning victory in the men’s 100m freestyle at the world championships in Japan, the 2016 Olympic gold medallist said the Paris Games would be his last as he looked to the “next chapter” of his life.

“It will be the last Olympics for definitely me … I’ll be 26,” Chalmers said.

“I’ve been to four world championships and never been on top of the podium. To do that this time around, I got that high you chase every day and what motivates you.”

In a post to Instagram he later clarified he was “not retiring” just yet.

“There are many competitions after the Olympics that still give me the opportunity to represent my country at the highest level,” he said.

“We have a world championships short course in 2024, world championship long course in 2025, commonwealth games in 2026 and plenty of world cups in there also. I’ll be busy, I have plenty of titles that need defending.

“But yes Paris will be my third and most likely last Olympic Games.

“2028 is a very long way away, but who knows, if the body and the mind hold up maybe I’ll even be in Brisbane in 2032.

“For now it’s time to lock in and give my absolute all to having success in Paris. Hungrier then ever.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back