Lachie Neale limp in tackle - epidemic amongst the league?

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, it's better when you just pretend you can't hear the criticism, because defence is futile.

"From 31 games in his past two seasons, Joel Selwood has received 49 head-high free kicks – 23 more than the next highest, Brisbane's Rhys Mathieson."

You wouldn't try to tell me Rhys Mathieson's head high free kick count came from his attack on the ball, or that Selwood simply went in 200% harder than every other player. Nobody's buying it, so don't bother selling. Great player, but he milked free kicks until the teets bled.

I'm not even gonna bother, because this is such a tired argument. I was actually pretty level in my analysis, if you read the second part.

Stay back on topic. We're talking about the current state of the game re: dangerous tackles, not head high tackles. Move on.

I've thought for a while that we need to consider whether we have a much stricter interpretation of holding the ball, rather than what the AFL has tacitly encouraged in their quest for flowing games and goals - ie. if the ball falls out it is play on. If a player is penalised for not disposing of the ball correctly - whether by hand or foot and irrespective of prior opportunity, then there is less incentive to bring players to ground and there is also less incentive for players to take the contact. At the moment players being tackled are rolling the dice on being brought to ground - strong chance of the ball "spilling free" and play on or a reasonable chance at a dangerous tackle.

I'm not even gonna bother, because this is such a tired argument. I was actually pretty level in my analysis, if you read the second part.

Stay back on topic. We're talking about the current state of the game re: dangerous tackles, not head high tackles. Move on.

As much as they are uncomfortable to experience head high tackles are arguably not overly dangerous in congestion, proably only when happening at speed (ie. throwing the arm out whilst two players are running full speed at each other)

Look, it's better when you just pretend you can't hear the criticism, because defence is futile.

"From 31 games in his past two seasons, Joel Selwood has received 49 head-high free kicks – 23 more than the next highest, Brisbane's Rhys Mathieson."

You wouldn't try to tell me Rhys Mathieson's head high free kick count came from his attack on the ball, or that Selwood simply went in 200% harder than every other player. Nobody's buying it, so don't bother selling. Great player, but he milked free kicks until the teets bled.

Plus he admitted it and said he was going to continue doing it until the AFL bans it. The AFL never banned it. So he never stopped doing it.

I know you were trying to make concessions and reconcile the good with the bad. Just put yourself in the shoes of a supporter who watches 8-years-worth of big games (many of them finals) with incredibly close margins against a team fielding a player who gets a free kick seemingly every time he's tackled.

For Hawthorn fans it's that far beyond the pale. I won't read any defense of it.

I know you were trying to make concessions and reconcile the good with the bad. Just put yourself in the shoes of a supporter who watches 8-years-worth of big games (many of them finals) with incredibly close margins against a team fielding a player who gets a free kick seemingly every time he's tackled.

For Hawthorn fans it's that far beyond the pale. I won't read any defense of it.

Completely get oppo supporter's opinions on this, but I'm not interested in getting into it, as there's about 50 million other threads on it.

Sel has retired now, so he's not relevant in this discussion re: 'dangerous tackles' and players being almost guided by the AFL and MRO to exploit the free kick - at a detriment to their own safety.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back