Recommitted Lachie Whitfield [re-signed for 7 more years]

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats because rebuilds take time, just imagine winning 3 flags straight and 4 GFs in a row.. in all seriousness it will take G dub decades to achieve what Hawthorn did in 4 years.. If they are around that long.
Point being after climbing such an enormous mountain it takes time to reinvent yourself. Clarko has the runs on the board and doesn’t need to prove himself to anyone.
It took Hawthorn 46 years to win one flag and 56 years to win two, in a comp with far fewer teams

Well the rebuild has shown nothing yet. And there's the not a lot to suggest Hawthorn are on the right track (aside from Wingard in the midfield).

And there's no point delving down that path of "what ifs" because neither would ever happen.

Have you not been watching how little your club has done with an infinitely stronger list?

BigFooty really is hilarious.

It took Hawthorn 46 years to win one flag and 56 years to win two, in a comp with far fewer teams

And zero assistance.

Its 50 something years for Melbourne isnt it? Or 60 even? And with all the draft picks. And equalisation.

Dees won a flag in four years.

Who was best on ground? What are your favourite memories? Will take me a while to go through my favourite memories of the 12 flags Hawthorn have won in my life.

Fun game, isnt it?

But really, this is about Whitfield. Who on all accounts isnt going to Hawthorn or Melbourne and will remain at GWS. On a massive long term contract that everyone will wonder how it can be afforded.

Point being after climbing such an enormous mountain it takes time to reinvent yourself. Clarko has the runs on the board and doesn’t need to prove himself to anyone.

That's fine, but he's shown nothing to suggest he's the best coach in the league, nor would he be the best coach for the Giants in my opinion.

2015? Sure. 2019? Not a chance.

It takes some teams “years” to get off the bottom end of the ladder, yet Clarkson managed to take the Hawks from 15th to 9th in just six weeks and also wins against four of the top six teams along the way during that period despite the Hawks number one player out injured all year. You’re absolutely right, he’s a terrible coach. :(

It takes some teams “years” to get off the bottom end of the ladder, yet Clarkson managed to take the Hawks from 15th to 9th in just six weeks and also wins against four of the top six teams along the way during that period despite the Hawks number one player out injured all year. You’re absolutely right, he’s a terrible coach. :(
Never said he was a terrible coach. Stop putting words in my mouth. I said he's no longer the best in the league. Big difference my friend.

Never said he was a terrible coach. Stop putting words in my mouth. I said he's no longer the best in the league. Big difference my friend.

If he’s no longer the best then Hawthorn would’ve finished near the bottom! Get ready for some surprises next year. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guy on our board who said Carlton were out of the running on Cogs on the Friday, then Hawthorn were seriously pi**ed off at Gil on the Saturday - then Kennett calls out Gil for meddling in free agency... has said hes confirmed with GWS.

So all of the ITK, he has a pretty good record.

My guess is at the minimum it means Hawthorn do not expect we will sign him. With no other club noise, him staying makes sense.

Its a magic pot of money at GWS. I wonder when the Commissioners ask Gil what hes doing. Cant imagine they are all happy.

And where are the club presidents? Unless Ambassador money is soon to be splashed around everywhere.

It’s not a magic pot of money, we lose top players every year and never have any money to get involved with top players elsewhere.

It’s just jealousy and resentment from people. Who is questioning WCE offering half of Perth to Kelly, who’s asking questions of Geelong who are chasing everyone in spite of having more G1 stars than most?

How are Carlton and Western Bulldogs seemingly never near their cap? It’s a 12.7 million dollar cap and lists are always evolving, that’s why.

If we create the right environment and our players choose the sun vs the cesspool than good luck to us. Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

It’s not a magic pot of money, we lose top players every year and never have any money to get involved with top players elsewhere.

It’s just jealousy and resentment from people. Who is questioning WCE offering half of Perth to Kelly, who’s asking questions of Geelong who are chasing everyone in spite of having more G1 stars than most?

How are Carlton and Western Bulldogs seemingly never near their cap? It’s a 12.7 million dollar cap and lists are always evolving, that’s why.

If we create the right environment and our players choose the sun vs the cesspool than good luck to us. Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

If WCE do end up going for Kelly then questions will be asked if it is done without them giving up players.

Geelong really dont have a lot of "stars" and Im pretty sure Ablett took a big pay cut. Hawkins, Dangerfield and Selwood are on the big dollars (the long time rumour is that contractually no-one at Geelong is allowed to earn more than Selwood, which is why they have always been so good at finding friends of the club happy to sell pubs to players for $1).

Really the hate is on Gil. And the Commission for letting Gil run the AFL in such a shady way. I dont think anyone begrudges GWS because Gil hands over pots of money.

If WCE do end up going for Kelly then questions will be asked if it is done without them giving up players.

Geelong really dont have a lot of "stars" and Im pretty sure Ablett took a big pay cut. Hawkins, Dangerfield and Selwood are on the big dollars (the long time rumour is that contractually no-one at Geelong is allowed to earn more than Selwood, which is why they have always been so good at finding friends of the club happy to sell pubs to players for $1).

Really the hate is on Gil. And the Commission for letting Gil run the AFL in such a shady way. I dont think anyone begrudges GWS because Gil hands over pots of money.

Clubs have become very good at managing the cap.

Just because you can’t get your paws on every one of our stars doesn’t mean we have to concoct conspiracy theories.

We have to pay a lot of guys more than they are worth which is why we constantly lose players.

It’s not like we are keeping all our players and then grabbing every free agent as well (like some clubs wink wink).

We are going to keep Lachie, he hates the fishbowl of Melbourne and loves the sun and anonymity of Sydney. He knows he can always go back to Melbourne when his career is over and he is just as likely to achieve success in the future with us as he is with Hawthorn.

Last edited:

"He had to take me around the corner so nobody could see us because he knew what my reaction would be," he said with a laugh.

"I just jumped on him and nearly tackled him to the ground.

"It's amazing, it's truly great that he's staying with us.

"He rejected some huge money offers so it shows what type of person he is, and that there's still some loyalty left in this game. He's a great leader for us."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back