11. Fremantle
12. Melbourne
13. GWS
14. Essendon
15. Sydney
16. Hawthorn
17. Adelaide
18. North

I think we'll see a similar ladder this season.

1. Geelong
2. Brisbane Lions
3. Richmond
4. St Kilda
5. Port Adelaide
6. West Coast
7. Collingwood
8. Melbourne

9. Hawthorn
10. Western Bulldogs
11. Fremantle
12. Essendon
13. Carlton
14. Gold Coast Suns
15. GWS Giants
16. Sydney Swans
17. Adelaide
18. North Melbourne

1. Richmond
2. Brisbane
3. Port
4. Western Bulldogs
5. Geelong
6. St Kilda
7. Fremantle
8. Carlton
9. West Coast
10. Gold Coast
11. Collingwood
12. Sydney
13. GWS
14. Melbourne
15. Hawthorn
16. Adelaide
17. Essendon
18. North

1. Brisbane
2. Richmond
3. Port Adelaide
4. St Kilda
5. Geelong
6. Bulldogs
7. Fremantle
8. Carlton

9. West Coast
10. Melbourne
11. Gold Coast
12. GWS
13. Collingwood
14. Sydney
15. Essendon
16. Hawthorn
17. Adelaide
18. North Melbourne

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Richmond
2. Port
3. Brisbane
4. Geelong
5. West Coast
6. Bulldogs
7. Saints
8. Melbourne
———
9. Carlton
10. Collingwood
11. GWS
12. Gold Coast
13. Freo
14. Sydney
15. Adelaide
16. Hawthorn
17. Essendon
18. North Melbourne

Port 18-4
Geelong 17-5
Brisbane 17-5
Bulldogs 15-7
Richmond 15-7
West Coast 14-8
St Kilda 14-8
Gold Coast 13-9

Fremantle 12-10
Melbourne 12-10
Carlton 11-11
Collingwood 11-11
Sydney 9-13
GWS 9-13
Essendon 8-14
Hawthorn 7-15
North Melbourne 5-17
Adelaide 4-18

Richmond
Port
Geelong
Collingwood
Brisbane
West coast
Bulldogs
Saints

Melbourne
Fremantle
Carlton
Essendon
Hawthorn
Sydney
Gold Coast
GWS
North
Us

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

1. Brisbane

14-3 minor round last year. Just added Joe Daniher.

2. Geelong

They are old but they just added Jeremy Cameron, Isaac Smith and Shaun Higgins.

3. Richmond

Key players like Riewoldt (32) and Cotchin (31), Houli (33) and Edwards (32) will are ageing and on the way down. Will be thereabouts but can see them shaded by a team with their core in their prime eg Brisbane. Why do they never have any injuries.

4. Port Adelaide

They will improve from Fantasia and Aliir, and development from Butterss and Duursma. But Gray Boak and Dixon are key players now all 30+. I think their top 2 chances depend on Rozee, he's the one who can be a matchwinner against quality opposition when it counts, but he has a weird foot issue nobody has seen before.

5. Collingwood

Pendlebury is 33. Sidebottom is 30 with calf issues. Treloar is gone. Adams has a hamstring. Could fall apart. Could dominate with De Goey in the middle. I choose to believe the remaining players will have faith in Bucks, think Eddie was hard done by, and want to stick it to the haters. Also they do have a few pretty good young developing players like Daicos and Quaynor.

6. Melbourne

Surely they will be good again this year. Gawn Petracca Oliver will beat most midfields. Pickett's pressure and Lever's intercepts will be like AFC 2017 all over again. Weideman and Brown injured might be a blessing, I think they would be better suited to a McDonald, Jackson + pressure forward line.

7. Western Bulldogs

Bontempelli Macrae Liberatore Treloar Dunkley is a lot of inside midfielders. Naughton is injured again. They need the West Coast 05-06 game plan of just running upfield handballing to each other in a rolling scrum.

8. Essendon

Should improve. Daniher and Fantasia out but they never played anyway. Caldwell in, Heppell fit. One coach is better than two.

9. St Kilda

I don't like adding Crouch to Steele in the midfield, too similar, not sure he will improve them that much. Likely unbeatable in wet weather at night. But for a warm dry September afternoon it would have been better to add more outside skill and pressure. Hunter Clark and Max King will carry them to wins but not sure if it's this year.

10. Carlton

Might be quite good if they could get a clear run with injury. They won't

11. West Coast

2019 and 2020 seasons heavily injury affected. Now Shuey hamstring, Yeo OP, Kennedy calf, Kelly thumb. I want to back them but with constant injury struggles it's tough.

12. Sydney

I have a feeling this is the year they start their gradual ascent back up the ladder. McDonald and Cambell both very impressive. I like McDonald for 20-30 goals and rising star contender. McDonald McDonald

13. GWS

Lost Cameron and Williams who were both genuine stars. Feels weird to predict this low of a finish for a team with Kelly Whitfield Coniglio Greene Taranto Perryman Hopper Haynes. But they are just so thin now and their coach is, unbelievably, still Leon Cameron

14. Fremantle

Want to be positive but they have 100 players on the injury list.

15. Gold Coast

Top 8 assuming Rowell plays full season. Bottom 4 if he misses. It's Gold Coast so something will go wrong.

16. Hawthorn

The list is not coherent. The midfield of workhorses needs a forward line with frantic ground level pressure to trap the ball in and get repeat entries. Not sure it suits the way Clarko wants to play either.

17. North Melbourne

Now run by Champion Data, they drafted 2 inside midfielders and have moved Ziebell to rebounding defender. Corr is quality, injury permitting.

18. Adelaide

Hopeless. O'Brien Sloane Crouch Laird is a strong centre square who will often win in the middle. Our statuesque forward line of Walker, Frampton and Fogarty will watch the opposition's intercept defender take a free mark and stroll away. Our inexperienced key defenders will try their best and fail anyway against the flood of pressure-free entries coming their way.

Last edited:
Results!

Calculation: each ladder position different between where you said a team would finish, and where they actually finished, is one point. eg I said Richmond would be first, but actually they were third, so that's two points. Add that up over all the teams.

Dirty Bird - 64
JPetro83 - 64
Carmo - 64
kulak - 66
WeeBlake - 70
Comeonden - 70
footy4ever - 70
Froggy - 72
Glenno23 - 72
ams4crows - 72
Truck25 - 72
pjcrows - 74
Pilchard_Adams - 75
Geoffa32 - 76
Crowbots are dead - 76
filthythilthy - 76
TubbsFarquhar - 76
Jeffcrowe - 78
Jcpdragonx - 78
Crow_68 - 78
benji2 - 78
glengowan - 80
Golumless - 80
GreyCrow - 80
baldandbroke - 82
PCORF - 82
Vooligan - 84
CroCop - 84
Johnny Rutten - 86
moogerfooger - 88

Prior years:

2020 ladder prediction results
2019 ladder prediction results
2018 ladder prediction results

1. Brisbane

14-3 minor round last year. Just added Joe Daniher.
5th (4 positions out)
:whitecheck:

Had a few injuries and didn't quite get going.

2. Geelong

They are old but they just added Jeremy Cameron, Isaac Smith and Shaun Higgins.
4th (2 positions out) :whitecheck:

3. Richmond

Key players like Riewoldt (32) and Cotchin (31), Houli (33) and Edwards (32) will are ageing and on the way down. Will be thereabouts but can see them shaded by a team with their core in their prime eg Brisbane. Why do they never have any injuries.
12th (9 positions out) :crossmark: :crossmark: :crossmark:

They had injuries.
4. Port Adelaide

They will improve from Fantasia and Aliir, and development from Butterss and Duursma. But Gray Boak and Dixon are key players now all 30+. I think their top 2 chances depend on Rozee, he's the one who can be a matchwinner against quality opposition when it counts, but he has a weird foot issue nobody has seen before.
3rd (1 position out) :whitecheck:
5. Collingwood

Pendlebury is 33. Sidebottom is 30 with calf issues. Treloar is gone. Adams has a hamstring. Could fall apart. Could dominate with De Goey in the middle. I choose to believe the remaining players will have faith in Bucks, think Eddie was hard done by, and want to stick it to the haters. Also they do have a few pretty good young developing players like Daicos and Quaynor.
17th (12 positions out) :crossmark: :crossmark: :crossmark: :crossmark: :crossmark: :crossmark:
What was I thinking, I should have stopped after the first 4 sentences.
6. Melbourne

Surely they will be good again this year. Gawn Petracca Oliver will beat most midfields. Pickett's pressure and Lever's intercepts will be like AFC 2017 all over again. Weideman and Brown injured might be a blessing, I think they would be better suited to a McDonald, Jackson + pressure forward line.
1st (5 positions out) :whitecheck:

Disappointed in myself for not having the guts to put them top 4 again after the last two failures. Was bang on in their mechanism for being good.
7. Western Bulldogs

Bontempelli Macrae Liberatore Treloar Dunkley is a lot of inside midfielders. Naughton is injured again. They need the West Coast 05-06 game plan of just running upfield handballing to each other in a rolling scrum.
2nd (5 positions out) :whitecheck:
K:HB ratio of 1.3. Just about bang on West Coast 2006.

8. Essendon

Should improve. Daniher and Fantasia out but they never played anyway. Caldwell in, Heppell fit. One coach is better than two.
8th (0 positions out) :whitecheck::whitecheck::whitecheck::whitecheck::whitecheck::whitecheck:🏆

Nobody else had them above 12th.
9. St Kilda

I don't like adding Crouch to Steele in the midfield, too similar, not sure he will improve them that much. Likely unbeatable in wet weather at night. But for a warm dry September afternoon it would have been better to add more outside skill and pressure. Hunter Clark and Max King will carry them to wins but not sure if it's this year.
10th (1 position out) :whitecheck::whitecheck::whitecheck::whitecheck::whitecheck::whitecheck:🏆

Only one other person (filthythilthy) had them missing finals.
10. Carlton

Might be quite good if they could get a clear run with injury. They won't
13th (3 positions out) :whitecheck:
11. West Coast

2019 and 2020 seasons heavily injury affected. Now Shuey hamstring, Yeo OP, Kennedy calf, Kelly thumb. I want to back them but with constant injury struggles it's tough.
9th (2 positions out) :whitecheck::whitecheck::whitecheck:
12. Sydney

I have a feeling this is the year they start their gradual ascent back up the ladder. McDonald and Cambell both very impressive. I like McDonald for 20-30 goals and rising star contender. McDonald McDonald
7th (5 positions out) :whitecheck:

They did in fact push up the ladder. McDonald faded from view after about 2 quality minor round games, in hindsight was naive to
13. GWS

Lost Cameron and Williams who were both genuine stars. Feels weird to predict this low of a finish for a team with Kelly Whitfield Coniglio Greene Taranto Perryman Hopper Haynes. But they are just so thin now and their coach is, unbelievably, still Leon Cameron
6th (7 positions out) :crossmark:
14. Fremantle

Want to be positive but they have 100 players on the injury list.
11th (3 positions out) :whitecheck:
15. Gold Coast

Top 8 assuming Rowell plays full season. Bottom 4 if he misses. It's Gold Coast so something will go wrong.
16th (1 position out) :whitecheck:
16. Hawthorn

The list is not coherent. The midfield of workhorses needs a forward line with frantic ground level pressure to trap the ball in and get repeat entries. Not sure it suits the way Clarko wants to play either.
14th (2 positions out) :whitecheck:
17. North Melbourne

Now run by Champion Data, they drafted 2 inside midfielders and have moved Ziebell to rebounding defender. Corr is quality, injury permitting.
18th (1 position out) :whitecheck:
18. Adelaide

Hopeless. O'Brien Sloane Crouch Laird is a strong centre square who will often win in the middle. Our statuesque forward line of Walker, Frampton and Fogarty will watch the opposition's intercept defender take a free mark and stroll away. Our inexperienced key defenders will try their best and fail anyway against the flood of pressure-free entries coming their way.
15th (3 positions out) :whitecheck:

Centre square was 5th for centre clearance differential even without Crouch. Happily we went with a less statuesque forward line with Tex winning several HTB frees in the F50. More run from defence too. Upswing year.

Disappointed with my Melbourne, Richmond, Collingwood and GWS predictions. In each one I identified the factors to say where they would actually finish, but succumbed to recency bias and failed to follow through in my final prediction.

Overall pretty happy.

Dang, fourth to last. On the positive, Atleast I was right about something:
Never very good at these, but here goes:

1: Brisbane
2: West Coast
3: Port Adelaide
4: Geelong
5: St Kilda
6: Richmond
7: Western Bulldogs
8: Fremantle
-------------------------------------------
9: Carlton
10: Gold Coast
11: GWS
12: Collingwood
13: Melbourne
14: Hawthorn
15: Sydney
16: North Melbourne
17: Adelaide
18: Essendon

Observations on teams!

Here's the ones we mostly had correct:
2 Western Bulldogs
3 Port Adelaide
4 Geelong
5 Brisbane
11 Fremantle
13 Carlton
14 Hawthorn
15 Adelaide
16 Gold Coast
17 Collingwood
18 North Melbourne

And these ones were miles off:

1 Melbourne
6 out of 29 predictors correctly had them in finals. Nobody had them top four. I had them highest, at 6th. Terrible.

6 GWS
5 out of 29 predictors correctly had them in finals: Geoffa32, Dirty Bird, Golumless, Comeonden and Carmo. Geoffa32 did best having them 6th.

7 Sydney
Nobody had them in finals. kulak did best having them 12th.

8 Essendon
1 out of 29 predictors correctly had them in finals: kulak

9 West Coast
5 out of 29 predictors correctly had them missing finals: kulak, ams4crows, Jcpdragonx, benji2 and TubbsFarquhar

10 St Kilda
3 out of 29 predictors correctly had them missing finals: kulak, Dirty Bird and filthythilthy.

12 Richmond
Nobody had them missing finals. Nobody had them lower than 5th!

Observations on teams!

Here's the ones we mostly had correct:
2 Western Bulldogs
3 Port Adelaide
4 Geelong
5 Brisbane
11 Fremantle
13 Carlton
14 Hawthorn
15 Adelaide
16 Gold Coast
17 Collingwood
18 North Melbourne

And these ones were miles off:

1 Melbourne
6 out of 29 predictors correctly had them in finals. Nobody had them top four. I had them highest, at 6th. Terrible.

6 GWS
5 out of 29 predictors correctly had them in finals: Geoffa32, Dirty Bird, Golumless, Comeonden and Carmo. Geoffa32 did best having them 6th.

7 Sydney
Nobody had them in finals. kulak did best having them 12th.

8 Essendon
1 out of 29 predictors correctly had them in finals: kulak

9 West Coast
5 out of 29 predictors correctly had them missing finals: kulak, ams4crows, Jcpdragonx, benji2 and TubbsFarquhar

10 St Kilda
3 out of 29 predictors correctly had them missing finals: kulak, Dirty Bird and filthythilthy.

12 Richmond
Nobody had them missing finals. Nobody had them lower than 5th!
On melb, to be fair, their massive history of mediocrity probably gave us reason to be suspicious. Where we all stuffed up was assuming St Kilda would stay up there tho.

Also, now there is a few years of doing this, we should be able to see some trends in footy knowledge since in any given year, one person can get a bit lucky but after 3 or 4 the average rankings or points cream should rise to the top and the crap to the bottom.

Brisbane
Richmond
Saints
West Coast
Port Adelaide
Geelong
GWS
Carlton
-------
Western Bulldogs
Fremantle
Melbourne
Gold Coast
Sydney
Collingwood
Essendon
Hawks
North
Adelaide

Who lets me do ladder predictions?

Who lets me do ladder predictions?
Respect to the people who do them.

Plenty of this forum’s most highly self regarded opinions don’t want to take the risk.

You are one of my favourite posters, whether I agree with you or not. 0 percent ego, 100 percent football.

See you for another attempt next year:cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back