What the heck? Laidley interested in coaching Eagles AFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

Kings of Lygon

All Australian
Aug 31, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Laidley has confirmed an interest in the vacant West Coast AFLW senior coaching job.

Laidley coached North Melbourne from 2003 to 2009, held assistant coach roles at Port Adelaide, St Kilda and Carlton over the next six seasons before leaving the Blues in 2015.

It's a great resume that would clearly rival any coach past or current in the AFLW system... and we definitely know the media are behind Laidley.

Shame about the history of stalking and harassing women though, not to mention being caught with meth.

Call me crazy, but I reckon it would be pretty hard to forgive and forget the record of someone who threatened to run their ex-partner down in a car, photographed them unknowingly in their home and bombarded them with calls and texts when they wouldn't respond.

It seems the AFL is pretty tolerant of these things though, as they roll Laidley out regularly as a beacon of inclusiveness and pride, recently speaking to WCE AFLW players about the upcoming pride round.

Seems like an excellent choice to be in charge of young women in a sporting environment :thumbsu:

Your move West Coast...

Laidley has confirmed an interest in the vacant West Coast AFLW senior coaching job.

It's a great resume that would clearly rival any coach past or current in the AFLW system... and we definitely know the media are behind Laidley.

Shame about the history of stalking and harassing women though, not to mention being caught with meth.

Call me crazy, but I reckon it would be pretty hard to forgive and forget the record of someone who threatened to run their ex-partner down in a car, photographed them unknowingly in their home and bombarded them with calls and texts when they wouldn't respond.

It seems the AFL is pretty tolerant of these things though, as they roll Laidley out regularly as a beacon of inclusiveness and pride, recently speaking to WCE AFLW players about the upcoming pride round.

Seems like an excellent choice to be in charge of young women in a sporting environment :thumbsu:

Your move West Coast...

We all make mistakes.

• Banned
Honestly wgaf?
I couldn't give two of them.

You cared so little, you just felt compelled to comment?

Where should this be discussed? Perhaps you can move it to the main board if you feel it's more than a rumour?

We all make mistakes.

I've done a couple of things that were pretty stupid, but I can't say I've ever threatened to kill my ex, taken pics of her in her house after we seperated, used a carriage service to menace or harass anyone or been arrested with meth on me...

I'm not saying Laidley should be treated like a lepper forever, but I don't think it would be appropriate for them to be appointed coach of an AFLW side. On multiple levels.

I actually think it's a bit sickening how all of the above is just forgotten about by the media and the AFL and we are all supposed to lavish praise and sing kumbaya when it comes to Laidley. I wonder how Laidley's victim feels about all the positive press Laidley gets?

You cared so little, you just felt compelled to comment?

Where should this be discussed? Perhaps you can move it to the main board if you feel it's more than a rumour?

I've done a couple of things that were pretty stupid, but I can't say I've ever threatened to kill my ex, taken pics of her in her house after we seperated, used a carriage service to menace or harass anyone or been arrested with meth on me...

I'm not saying Laidley should be treated like a lepper forever, but I don't think it would be appropriate for them to be appointed coach of an AFLW side. On multiple levels.

I actually think it's a bit sickening how all of the above is just forgotten about by the media and the AFL and we are all supposed to lavish praise and sing kumbaya when it comes to Laidley. I wonder how Laidley's victim feels about all the positive press Laidley gets?
Look what Carey did.

He ended being one of the leads for C7 on Friday Night.

Why is it a no brainier?.... apart from woke points or whatever....

…because she’s an experienced senior coach at AFL level?

Nobody with that level of experience in the AFL has ever coached at AFLW level.

It’d be worth having a look at surely, to see if it could work for all involved.

I know a couple of blokes who were coached by Laidley at North.

He was an oldschool coach that believed in giving players a massive spray and tough love. That doesn't work with men's footy now, and I'm sure would be even less effective in women's football - She'd loose the playing list at the first game.

The games gone past Laidley, like Rocket Eade and Malthouse - players want their feelings heard, not a half time rant.

Fx71wqdaAAErGoR

^ Yeah I get that actually.

But in this case if we're actually pretending to consider her for the role I can't think of any other reason though.

That rap sheet I ain't good. Stalking is srs business and we want to give Laidley access to all these girls?
Let alone the meth and the media circus that will come with such an appointment (unless that is what we are going for, hence my original comment).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But in this case if we're actually pretending to consider her for the role I can't think of any other reason though.

That rap sheet I ain't good. Stalking is srs business and we want to give Laidley access to all these girls?
Let alone the meth and the media circus that will come with such an appointment (unless that is what we are going for, hence my original comment).
In regard to standards: Saints have Nick Dal Santo employed as AFLW coach despite his sexual predation of the Stkilda school girl.

You can't think of any reason why she would be a candidate for a head coaching role in the AFLW? Really, not one?

151 AFL games including winning a Premiership and playing State of Origin. Almost 20 years coaching experience at the elite level, including 7 years as head coach of North Melbourne.

If only you were able to think of just one reason........but yeah, it must be because of her gender.

You can't think of any reason why she would be a candidate for a head coaching role in the AFLW? Really, not one?

151 AFL games including winning a Premiership and playing State of Origin. Almost 20 years coaching experience at the elite level, including 7 years as head coach of North Melbourne.

If only you were able to think of just one reason........but yeah, it must be because of her gender.

Not what I'm saying - I'm saying there are very good reasons for her not to coach.
Be careful you might blow a fuse.

In regard to standards: Saints have Nick Dal Santo employed as AFLW coach despite his sexual predation of the Stkilda school girl.

Didn't know that but yeah I don't think he should be coaching at all then either.
Whataboutism when it comes to these types of crimes is loony bin territory reasons to give someone a coaching gig over young females.

But that's just my 2c - seems to be upsetting some ppl..

In all seriousness, hook the loose takes around Dani that feature on Twitter and FB into my veins (pleased to see a bit more balance here) - it is incredible the outraged / negative opinions that are generated by Laidley. Real click bait areas. Does it all come back to the RWNJs falling for the whole pizza shop thing because they just want to protect children? I'm sure most of them are the same sycophants that fawn over Duck on Twitter.

No-one cares about Voss king hitting some poor bloke in St Kilda (no conviction, same as what was recorded against Laidley), or Clarko going ballistic at a teenage umpire, or Ross the boss allegedly - so alleged that Carlton wouldn't consider him for their coaching job - doing and saying things at Freo that made staffers very uncomfortable and led to $$$ changing hands. There's probably a bunch of other AFL coaches that have done shithouse things. But it's made out like Laidley murdered someone, paraded their body around town and was then found not guilty on a technicality.

I 100% agree that there should be pause before appointing someone with Laidley's background. Her footballing resume is excellent, but West Coast would need to ensure they and their playing group (and their playing group's families) are comfortable with her more recent indiscretions as well as understanding her recovery process and whether this could be impacted by the stress of coaching.

I know a couple of blokes who were coached by Laidley at North.

He was an oldschool coach that believed in giving players a massive spray and tough love. That doesn't work with men's footy now, and I'm sure would be even less effective in women's football - She'd loose the playing list at the first game.

The games gone past Laidley, like Rocket Eade and Malthouse - players want their feelings heard, not a half time rant.
I think there's a role of Laidley wanted to get involved at club level again and AFLW would be an excellent forum for it but you don't hand head coaching jobs to people who have been out of the game ten years. As has been said on our board, we should be chasing people with runs on the board in the women's game.

In all seriousness, hook the loose takes around Dani that feature on Twitter and FB into my veins (pleased to see a bit more balance here) - it is incredible the outraged / negative opinions that are generated by Laidley. Real click bait areas. Does it all come back to the RWNJs falling for the whole pizza shop thing because they just want to protect children? I'm sure most of them are the same sycophants that fawn over Duck on Twitter.

No-one cares about Voss king hitting some poor bloke in St Kilda (no conviction, same as what was recorded against Laidley), or Clarko going ballistic at a teenage umpire, or Ross the boss allegedly - so alleged that Carlton wouldn't consider him for their coaching job - doing and saying things at Freo that made staffers very uncomfortable and led to $$$ changing hands. There's probably a bunch of other AFL coaches that have done shithouse things. But it's made out like Laidley murdered someone, paraded their body around town and was then found not guilty on a technicality.

I 100% agree that there should be pause before appointing someone with Laidley's background. Her footballing resume is excellent, but West Coast would need to ensure they and their playing group (and their playing group's families) are comfortable with her more recent indiscretions as well as understanding her recovery process and whether this could be impacted by the stress of coaching.

I love how you describe Voss, Clarko and Ross with such loaded language, but Laidley gets the "indescretions" treatment. You don't work in the media do you?

Laidley's "indescretions":

• Threatened to kill ex-partner by running them down in a car
  • Photographed ex-partner unknowingly in their home
  • Used a carriage service to menace and harass ex-partner (dozens of phone calls and texts)
  • Threatened ex-partner with suicide if they didn't respond
  • Arrested for stalking and harassing, found to be in posession of meth

I mean, c'mon...

Not sure if you know how forums work - but we can all read what you wrote. You can't pretend you didn't write it.

Ok allow me to state it a different way - is there a solid reason apart from wanting to look ultra progressive in a certain area - to overlook the very obviously bad reasons to not consider Laidley as coach.

And yes I am not caucasian. Being from a certain culture I am not as comfortable with the trans stuff as you may be. My point still stands though on the stalking and the meth. And the general media circus that West Coast of all clubs really doesn't need right now.

Last edited:
Call me crazy but if you can get better or more experienced coaching into the AFLW then surely that's a good thing.

Despite his previous charges, drug issues etc it seems he is over those issues and seems pretty stable so I think it would be a good appointment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back