Society/Culture Landlords - What is the point?

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone watching the market closely I reckon Perth prices have easily gone up at least 5% just from the start of this year.
I think it depends on the state/city. I hear a lot a people are moving to Brisbane and Perth so their house prices have been rising quickly. House prices in Melbourne on the other hand have been relatively stagnant.

You're half right - nuclear subs do provide far greater range and stealth because of their propulsion system and the ability to stay submerged for extremely long times compared to diesel subs. The reason that makes them preferable for us is because our country is ****ing massive and there's obviously a lot of water to cover with very few subs. China has built a massive navy and will outnumber our subs with something like a 10:1 ratio (would have to go look the numbers up again), and that's after we get all of them which is still to be seen...

So basically, if we aren't going to match their numbers, we need higher quality / greater capability to achieve the desired deterrence effect.
So you're expecting an attack from China on our shores then? Is that what's going to happen? Because I've heard before that the best defence of the Australian continent is the continent itself, as the northern third is so inhospitable and hard to keep supplying that any nation would be mad to try and invade. Wouldn't it make more sense to concentrate on the waters around populated areas?

Not to mention protecting shipping channels we rely upon. If there is to be a major conflict in the next decade, it is not an invasion that is likely to be how Australia suffers. It's being denied supply of things we need.
Think of this from China's perspective for a second. Aren't shipping channels equally important to them? So if they see a US ally "protecting" a shipping channel that both countries use, isn't that a risk to them of being denied supply of things they need? Make no mistake, if the US asks us to use the submarines they helped supply us with to cut off Chinese shipping lanes, Australia will do it.

E.g. at any point in time we only have about a month's worth of fuel for transportation. Imagine that supply being significantly disrupted. We'd be screwed.
Well, it was incredibly stupid of the last government to locate our strategic fuel reserve in the US then, wasn't it?

So you're expecting an attack from China on our shores then? Is that what's going to happen? Because I've heard before that the best defence of the Australian continent is the continent itself, as the northern third is so inhospitable and hard to keep supplying that any nation would be mad to try and invade. Wouldn't it make more sense to concentrate on the waters around populated areas?
If you're genuinely interested, download and have a read of the Defence Strategic Review. The unclassified public version contains a lot of info that explains the reasoning for our change in defence strategy.

Edit: Apologies, the document is call the National Defence Strategy. It was written as a result of the DSR.

If you're genuinely interested, download and have a read of the Defence Strategic Review. The unclassified public version contains a lot of info that explains the reasoning for our change in defence strategy.
I'm not genuinely interested. I just want money spent on public services and addressing poverty, and it's painful to watch governments perennially refuse to invest properly in building a better society, while happily giving the military countless billions.

I'm not genuinely interested. I just want money spent on public services and addressing poverty, and it's painful to watch governments perennially refuse to invest properly in building a better society, while happily giving the military countless billions.
Oh, I didn't realise you just wanted to ignorantly whine. Sorry for interrupting.

I doubt there's many that own have two investment properties let alone 253.

This post portrays that 'mum and dad investors' or investor who have one or two investment properties are not the norm. It gives the impression that ALL property investors are greedy aholes.

Well sorry, not sorry, I'm not a greedy ahole who has one investment property, I'm just tryna get ahead like everyone else, and whoever that purplepingers kvnt is can phuq off with their hyperbolic alluded accusation.

purplepingers is great, has brought attention to a space long ignored.

His latest vendetta is unoccupied properties, he got sent a press release directly by the Vic Government about their plan to tax vacant properties. So he's getting some traction.

purplepingers is great, has brought attention to a space long ignored.

His latest vendetta is unoccupied properties, he got sent a press release directly by the Vic Government about their plan to tax vacant properties. So he's getting some traction.
Yeah he's getting traction from easily influenced life's not fair morons with wa*ky views like that one I replied to.

Stirring up sh*t is what he's doing, broad brushing all investors as aholes is not the way to go about. If this dickhead has a problem with how property investment is structured, play the ball not the person.

I doubt there's many that own have two investment properties let alone 253.

This post portrays that 'mum and dad investors' or investor who have one or two investment properties are not the norm. It gives the impression that ALL property investors are greedy aholes.

Well sorry, not sorry, I'm not a greedy ahole who has one investment property, I'm just tryna get ahead like everyone else, and whoever that purplepingers kvnt is can phuq off with their hyperbolic alluded accusation.
Greed or no greed, the tax laws are stupid.

Why favour mum and dad investors over mum and dad taxpayers?

And what's the obsession with "getting ahead"? Get want you want, sure go for it and enjoy your life the best way you can. But just wanting to get ahead? What an insecure disposition to have on life. These tax laws are enabling this by keeping others down, more than anything.

So accept our tax money in one hand, but also accept the shit as well. If you can't hack it, gain some wealth by being productive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah he's getting traction from easily influenced life's not fair morons with wa*ky views like that one I replied to.

Stirring up sh*t is what he's doing, broad brushing all investors as aholes is not the way to go about. If this dickhead has a problem with how property investment is structured, play the ball not the person.

His point is the system is setup to incentivise residential home investment, at a time when we are experiencing massive issues with housing availability, housing affordability and rental prices skyrocketing.

All of which are very real and fair comments.

Broad brushing all investors as 'mom and pop just trying to get by' is a great cover for the wealthy and powerful setting up the system to benefit them.

No one is saying 'carringbush, **** you for trying to do the right thing by your family' here. If you think that, you've really missed the point.

The idea that you should be able to buy a house, risk-free, with a tenant paying it off, then freely walk away with the capital gain (at a discount if you use the system well) whilst being able to tax-deduct your tenant subsidised mortgage payments, when the tenant (you know, the one actually paying you money) can't tax deduct those payments, doesn't seem a little like a bad system to you?

It's like how Real Estate Agents work on behalf of the property owner, despite the tenant (once again) being the one paying the cash.

It's a bad system.

No renter should feel sympathy for a landlord, that doesn't mean all landlords are shit people.

Greed or no greed, the tax laws are stupid.

Why favour mum and dad investors over mum and dad taxpayers?

And what's the obsession with "getting ahead"? Get want you want, sure go for it and enjoy your life the best way you can. But just wanting to get ahead? What an insecure disposition to have on life. These tax laws are enabling this by keeping others down, more than anything.

So accept our tax money in one hand, but also accept the shit as well. If you can't hack it, gain some wealth by being productive.
I don't disagree that the tax laws around property investment are rather damaging for those that cannot obtain property.

Regardless, that does not equate, me a property investor, as a greedy ahole, I passionately reject that notion and I also passionately reject the notion that ALL investors are greedy aholes.

I'm just tryna get ahead to make a better life for myself, guess that makes me the anti christ, amirite?

Most are investing to make a better life for themselves, HOW DARE THEY?!?1?

They're just middle class mid life to elderly who are not billionaires just buying up properties as a hobby.

Like I said earlier, if one has a problem with the way property investment is structured, play the ball not the person.

I don't disagree that the tax laws around property investment are rather damaging for those that cannot obtain property.

Regardless, that does not equate, me a property investor, as a greedy ahole, I passionately reject that notion and I also passionately reject the notion that ALL investors are greedy aholes.

I'm just tryna get ahead to make a better life for myself, guess that makes me the anti christ, amirite?

They're just middle class mid life to elderly who are not billionaires just buying up properties as a hobby.

Like I said earlier, if one has a problem with the way property investment is structured, play the ball not the person.
If one invests in the stock market at least they provide capital for creating wealth. Neg geared (existing) property investing is basically just asking everyone else to cover your tax bill.

you're trying to get ahead by buying a house someone else would like to live in and making them pay the mortgage for you

you also get tax payer subsidies for this that owner occupiers and renters don't get

if you can afford more than one property I wouldn't think that you would actually be middle class

you might think you're a middle class battler, everyone does these days

you choose to be a landlord, you gotta deal with the reputation that comes with that

How many investment properties do you have?

The average person simply has no avenue to do this.

In Parliament, 227 Federal MPs own 510 properties. With 144 owning more than 1.

These are the people making the laws and managing the system.

They have no incentive to change it.

"Representative" Democracy at work.

something like 20% of landlords owned more than one property 2 years ago
and even at that time the number of new landlords wasn't growing as quickly

but more properties are investment properties than ever

if over 30% of dwellings are investment properties and less than 10% of the population are investors, what does that tell you about overall property ownership concentration?

nothing good thats for sure

His point is the system is setup to incentivise residential home investment, at a time when we are experiencing massive issues with housing availability, housing affordability and rental prices skyrocketing.
I don't disagree with his points, I'm just pointing out his allusion that property investors owning 253 homes is some sort of widespread norm is ludicrous and obviously aimed at property investors
No one is saying 'carringbush, **** you for trying to do the right thing by your family' here. If you think that, you've really missed the point.
No one? We're literally talking about that purple ph*qwit alluding exactly that. Many more like him and no doubt there are many in this thread who share the same ill directed anger.
It's a bad system.
No sh*t, but because I'm an investor I'm that anti christ right? Purple w*nker certainly seems to think I own 253 properties just to 'punch down' for amusement.
No renter should feel sympathy for a landlord, that doesn't mean all landlords are shit people.
No one ever, EVER has felt sympathy for a landlord, nor should they.

Yet w*nkers like purple who have an axe to grind are targeting in the wrong direction.

Play the ball not the person.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back