Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get excited about any of these latest signings. Fact of the matter is that they're fillers to use during training camp. Anything above that is a bonus.

Would be surprised if more than 1 undrafted rookie makes the 55 man roster this year as well. Given that there are likely to be no physical OTAs, coaches are going to be more inclined to sticking to who they know personnel wise.

Booker in an uninspiring signing. Another camp body to be used a lot in the pre-season because I don't expect Jacobs to see more than 1-2 drives.

As for the Aaron Rodgers to the Raiders rumours, I'm not going to put fuel on any fire there. One day the media will get it right and Gruden will replace Carr. Won't be any time soon though.

Don't get excited about any of these latest signings. Fact of the matter is that they're fillers to use during training camp. Anything above that is a bonus.

Would be surprised if more than 1 undrafted rookie makes the 55 man roster this year as well. Given that there are likely to be no physical OTAs, coaches are going to be more inclined to sticking to who they know personnel wise.

Booker in an uninspiring signing. Another camp body to be used a lot in the pre-season because I don't expect Jacobs to see more than 1-2 drives.

As for the Aaron Rodgers to the Raiders rumours, I'm not going to put fuel on any fire there. One day the media will get it right and Gruden will replace Carr. Won't be any time soon though.
Seems to be mostly deck chair shuffling at the moment. Booker is just like you said, a camp body/pre-season. Would have been interesting if we signed Gore as was reported though.

The Raiders, identified mostly with Oakland, plays their first ever regular season game in Las Vegas. That week two game has several features that almost seem tailored for football fans from Utah. For one thing, the game in on a Monday. So for fans averse to Sunday sporting events, a trip to Sin City — that also has a strong religious community — might be a little less sinful for Monday Night Football, in person or on TV

With God on our side we will win; he will defeat our enemies."

Our schedule is fair favourable. Only gripe I have with it is that we play the Chiefs at home with them coming off a bye (AGAIN!).

Otherwise, this schedule is solid. 4 primetime home games is awesome. Carolina early is good because I think they'll be better later in the year. Only two times do we play back to back road games, and one of those is in LA which is hardly a road trip. I personally hope they stay on the east coast when they play Atlanta and the Jets in back to back weeks, but anything is possible there considering the virus.

What I'm most interested in is that the NFL is pushing ahead as if fans are going to be in the stands come September. I absolutely love the optimism and the balls that the league has. And my money right now would be on having fans in the stands. The season is still 4 months away. Forget what the media are saying, the raw numbers of the covid USA cases shows that this virus over there is in severe decline. Won't be shocked one bit when the Death Star is fully operational on Monday Night Football in week 2.

Clemson’s John Simpson would like to toss his name in the hat as the top interior lineman.

Simpson had a dominant performance Saturday against one of the top defensive tackles in the nation as Clemson squared off against South Carolina. Pro Football Network NFL draft analyst Tony Pauline took notice during his live blog:

“While people will fawn over that touchdown pass from Trevor Lawrence, which was a terrific throw, I was more impressed with left guard John Simpson who used great body positioning, hand technique and strength to remove Javon Kinlaw from the play and keep the pocket clean,” Pauline wrote.

“Simpson presently ranks number one on my guard board and I expect him to end up in the second day of next year’s draft.”

Mariota in to start after the bye

If we need a new QB we can give up all next years picks for

The Clemson football program has seen its fair share of talented and special athletes over the course of the Dabo Swinney era, but the top may very well be Trevor Lawrence when it’s all said and done.

No organization has drafted more Clemson football players than the Raiders over the past couple of seasons and the franchise now garnering the nickname ‘Clemson West.’

Raiders, CB Prince Amukamara agree to terms

A former Giants first-round pick and standout with the Bears, cornerback Prince Amukamara and the Raiders have agreed to terms, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo and NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Tuesday.

Amukamara's 10th season will be the first in Las Vegas for the Raiders, as they're picking him up after the Bears released him.

Garafolo added there's still some work that needs to be done with final details, but Amukamara and the Raiders have agreed on overall terms.

Whether with the Giants or Bears, Amukamara has been a starter since his second season in 2012. Last year with the Bears -- his third in Chicago -- he started 15 games with 53 tackles and 10 passes defended.

While he left a sizable hole in the Bears secondary, he aids in filling a need for the Silver and Black.

appreciate what Amukamara brought to the Bears: Steady, clean press coverage, which isn’t exactly easy to find. Refs love to call ticky-tack penalties against cornerbacks, after all.

And yet: Amukamara was penalized only five times in 2019 — 42nd among all cornerbacks — but three of those were hands to the face flags, part of a bizarre early trend of officiating crews calling that foul against Bears players in the first four weeks of the season. Amukamara was only penalized once after Week 3 (his counterpart, Kyle Fuller, was flagged eight times in 2019).

Amukamara allowed a reception on one in every 14.5 coverage snaps in 2019, seventh among cornerbacks with 500 coverage snaps. He also wasn’t targeted much — only three cornerbacks with 500 or more coverage snaps were thrown at less than Amukamara (one target every nine coverage snaps), per PFF.

“I think it’s huge and he’s played consistent and he’s played well,” defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano said last year. “And he continues to do that. It’s a big part. … I think any time those (cornerbacks) can get up and mess with the timing of the offense and throw that off and take away the guy that may be the first read, may not be the first read, it’s going to help your rush and your defense. So that’s important.”
nbcsports.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amukamara is a sneaky good signing. Should be a plug and play corner from day 1 on the outside to pair opposite Mullen. Arnette will come on and I suspect he will play a bigger role down the stretch similar to how Mullen was introduced last year.

Good to have a vet corner in the room as well.

Our secondary has been completely revamped. I like the look of it on the whole. Mullen is a solid corner, and Randall is a good stopgap at the very least at safety. Im not convinced on Abram, he's a wildcard. Our backup safeties in Heath and Harris are perfect depth. And we actually have depth at corner this year.

Whilst this team is far from a star studded roster, the floor is pretty good. You can't really look at any one position on the roster and say "jeez this is a major upgrade," and quite frankly we have said that every year for the past decade even in 16 when we went 12-4.

Six best NFL offseasons of 2020

RANK
Las Vegas Raiders

Las Vegas Raiders

When the Raiders open the season, only four offensive starters (QB Derek Carr, LT Kolton Miller, OG Gabe Jackson and C Rodney Hudson) will likely be the same from the group that was on the field for Jon Gruden's first game back as head coach in Week 1 of the 2018 season. The dramatic reshaping of the roster continued this offseason with a slew of free agency acquisitions, including a needed upgrade at linebacker via the signings of Nick Kwiatkoski and Cory Littleton, the additions of Damarious Randall at safety and Carl Nassib on the edge, and a trio of ex-Cowboys (Jason Witten, Jeff Heath and Maliek Collins). The veterans should complement what the Raiders hope will be a productive draft class, led by a pair of first-rounders (receiver Henry Ruggs and cornerback Damon Arnette) who are expected to push for starting spotsimmediately. The most intriguing acquisition was quarterback Marcus Mariota. I could see him doing the same thing to Carr that Ryan Tannehill did to Mariota last season and taking the reins, should Gruden decide to make a change under center.

Hopefully the Panthers send Carr to bench for good in week 1. ;)

More likely he goes for 400 yards and 4 tds on our trash secondary though. :(

Carr is a dark horse for MVP according to nfl.com.

Super
I can live with him being the MVP. Means he has stopped crapping himself and chucking it away all the time. Has no excuses now to not hit some open guys more than 5 yards downfield with all of the new toys he has.

I can live with him being the MVP. Means he has stopped crapping himself and chucking it away all the time. Has no excuses now to not hit some open guys more than 5 yards downfield with all of the new toys he has.

Except for the most part, hitting the 5 yard short routes is exactly what Gruden wants.

Even when Gruden had Gannon as the QB, his scheme was dink and dunk. Carr averaged 7.9 yards per attempt last year, a career high. The scheme doesn't get a lot of air yards, but is designed to maximise yards after the catch. Perfect for guys like Ruggs to take advantage of.

That being said, I think you'll see Carr air it out a tiny bit more than he did last year. It will still be a conservative offense on the whole but I do expect a few more bombs called.

Of course, one of keys of this whole thing is Guenther, who has been the focus of disdain for many Raiders fans since he took over as defensive coordinator. This defense has more talent, and more depth than it has in years, and if he falters as DC, Marinelli is waiting in the wings.

From justblogbaby.com

Seems very harsh to me. Had a lot of holes in the D. Looking better now but still a lot of young guys.

Amukamara seems to be a Guenther fan

If there's one thing Amukamara doesn't lack, it's confidence. Dating back to when Guenther was the defensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals, Amukamara took notice of the way Guenther enabled his defensive to play with aggression. The Arizona native considers himself one of the best press corners in the league and believes he'll be able to thrive in his new scheme because of his aggressive instincts.
"With Paul's defense, I followed him when he was at Cincinnati and you can see the guys are aggressive, and he likes for his guys to press and I think that's where I flourish," he said. "I'm one of, if not the best, corners in press, man-to-man coverage in the league and I have the tape to show that, which is why I'm saying that so boldly.
"[Guenther] seems like he's the kind of guy that likes to attack, he doesn't sit back and wait for the game to come to him. You like that as a defensive player because you know you have a guy who's going to send pressure and who's going to take it, and put you in a position to make those plays."

Of course, one of keys of this whole thing is Guenther, who has been the focus of disdain for many Raiders fans since he took over as defensive coordinator. This defense has more talent, and more depth than it has in years, and if he falters as DC, Marinelli is waiting in the wings.

From justblogbaby.com

Seems very harsh to me. Had a lot of holes in the D. Looking better now but still a lot of young guys.

The problem with Guenther is that he hasn't exactly been one to adapt his scheme to cope with certain personnel deficiencies. A guy like Whitehead for instance should never be schemed to be covering a RB in space, but it was a common occurrence under PG.

Where my confidence in Guenther lies is that last off season their primary objective was to improve significantly against the run, and for the most psrt our run D was solid to say the least during the year.

We don't have the top end talent on D but we don't have a lot of scrubbers either. I dont see any position as a ridiculous weakness in terms of that being isolated and attacked each week as we saw last year with our linebackers. If 2 of our average to good players can make a leap this year to great (like Crosby and Mullen), then this defense will look a lot different going forward.

Its a young group who will be together for a while.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back