Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

It's getting weird

McCarthy’s college coach, Jim Harbaugh (now the head coach of the Los Angeles Chargers) said again Monday that he thinks McCarthy is the best quarterback in the draft and he said others in the league have told him that as well. Las Vegas Raiders coach Antonio Pierce said Monday he thinks McCarthy is a top-three quarterback in this class.

If McCarthy does, indeed, end up going No. 2 in Washington, it would surely affect the rest of the draft.

New England coach Jerod Mayo said Monday it is not certain the Patriots will take a quarterback at No. 3. The Arizona Cardinals own the No. 4 pick, but they are expected to listen to trade offers with teams such as Minnesota (No. 11), Denver (No. 12) and the Raiders (No. 13) are interested in trading up for a quarterback.

If the Patriots do take a quarterback, the race for the fourth quarterback picked could come down to Daniels or Maye. Last week, McCarthy’s ceiling appeared to be No. 4.

In the end, the Commanders interest in McCarthy doesn’t overly affect the Raiders. Their biggest question is getting in position to to draft a top quarterback regardless of what player is there.

NFL Draft Rumors: Insiders Rank Michael Penix Jr. Among Top 3 QBs Amid Raiders Buzz

I would bet a lot of money right now that the Raiders won't be able to trade up to the top 3. The teams at the top just have too big a QB need right now. I'm not even convinced Minnesota will be able to get up to pick 3 despite having picks 11 and 23 in this draft.

I am trying to get clarification, but I'm led to believe the QB the Raiders are targeting assuming they don't trade up, is Michael Penix. Anyone who isn't familiar with Penix should watch his game against Texas in the college football playoffs earlier this year. It was every bit as good as CJ Stroud's performance against Georgia the year prior.

Go to 14:55 of this clip (it's all Penix's runs and throws of the Texas game) - he throws it from the near hash of the -17 to the far hash of the +23. That's close to a 70 yard bomb and it's right on the money to his receiver. The only other two people in the world right now who would have the balls to make that throw, let alone actually completing it are Pat Mahomes and Josh Allen.

I've been all in on Penix for a while, and I don't understand why he's not getting more love from the media pundits, because he's got the most arm talent in the class, he is mobile, has had considerable success (led his team to the Natty and runner up in the Heisman), he is regarded as one of the best leaders coach DeBoer has been around, and has stayed injury free the last two seasons (and got glowing medical reviews at the Combine).

He should be in the conversation with the other top 3 QBs, but for some reason he isn't.

I just hope the Raiders take him at 13 if they believe he can be their franchise QB. Don't try to get cute by picking someone else at 13 with the intent of trading up and getting him later - odds are another team will undercut you and then you're left without your QB of the future for another 12 months - which would be nothing short of disastrous given the way this team is built to win in the immediate.

The reality is more like Penix will go inside the top 10, Jets a smokie (life after Aaron). Or any number of other trams around there, or another team with draft capital that could move.

Sad thing is, Broncos pick ahead of Raiders too, so even someone like Bo Nix, who I've always thought would be someone they might have to settle/reach for, could get taken by the Broncos thus forcing the Raiders to have to take some mediocre talent like Rattler instead in another round and then have to try to hype up that selection post-draft.

The reality is more like Penix will go inside the top 10, Jets a smokie (life after Aaron). Or any number of other trams around there, or another team with draft capital that could move.

Sad thing is, Broncos pick ahead of Raiders too, so even someone like Bo Nix, who I've always thought would be someone they might have to settle/reach for, could get taken by the Broncos thus forcing the Raiders to have to take some mediocre talent like Rattler instead in another round and then have to try to hype up that selection post-draft.

Would take something bonkers for Penix to go top 10. Broncos really like Nix from what I've heard.

After the top three the teams who could conceivably draft a QB before the Raiders at 13 are the Giants, Jets, Vikings and Broncos.

I highly doubt the Jets are going to take a QB given they're all in on Rodgers. The Giants may take a QB but they've also told Drew Lock he can compete form the starters job with Daniel Jones - so I doubt they take one either. I suspect the Vikings will trade up from 11 to get McCarthy. I still think Denver will wait until round 2 for a QB, but if they do it round 1 it'll be Nix. Which theoretically leaves Penix at 13 for the Raiders.

There are too many blue chip non QB talents.at the top of this draft to see all of 6 QBs taken in the first 12 picks.

Harrison, Nabers and Odunze all are elite receiving prospects. Brock Bowers will most likely go top 10. Then you've got a glutton of OL prospects - Alt, Fashanu, Fautanu, Fuaga etc. Jared Verse and Dallas Turner on the defensive edge, plus Arnold, Mitchell etc at corner.

Given Penix's injury history I don't see any team trading up to get him inside the top 10 either.

Would take something bonkers for Penix to go top 10. Broncos really like Nix from what I've heard.

After the top three the teams who could conceivably draft a QB before the Raiders at 13 are the Giants, Jets, Vikings and Broncos.

I highly doubt the Jets are going to take a QB given they're all in on Rodgers. The Giants may take a QB but they've also told Drew Lock he can compete form the starters job with Daniel Jones - so I doubt they take one either. I suspect the Vikings will trade up from 11 to get McCarthy. I still think Denver will wait until round 2 for a QB, but if they do it round 1 it'll be Nix. Which theoretically leaves Penix at 13 for the Raiders.

There are too many blue chip non QB talents.at the top of this draft to see all of 6 QBs taken in the first 12 picks.

Harrison, Nabers and Odunze all are elite receiving prospects. Brock Bowers will most likely go top 10. Then you've got a glutton of OL prospects - Alt, Fashanu, Fautanu, Fuaga etc. Jared Verse and Dallas Turner on the defensive edge, plus Arnold, Mitchell etc at corner.

Given Penix's injury history I don't see any team trading up to get him inside the top 10 either.
Agree there are a lot of blue chip non-qbs. The good teams and/or those who dont need a qb will reap the rewards of those

Teams are learning more than ever before that you cant win this league without a qb (brady and mahones eras)...and the modern league is set up more and more to to be offense-friendly, pass-happy.

So i reckon we'll see a new record for most QBs taken 1st round and most QBs taken in an entire draft too. So many qb-needy, teams, even those with qbs already, and 2023's year of the backup (injuries) will be another reason why.

Its a bit overkill but it wouldnt surprise me if all of Williams Daniels, Maye, McCarthy, Penix, Nix and Rattler went in the 1st...and theres a number of very good prospects/sleepers who'll go 3rd-5th imo (ive named them before in another thread), and let alone some other flyers taken in the 7th.

Bears, Commanders, Patriots, Broncos, Raiders, Vikings all need a QB....but so do imo teams like Jets, Giants, Saints, Buccaneers, Rams, Lions....despite having starters now. And other teams like Titans, Cowboys, Dolphins will have to draft QBs (just in case Levis flounders, in case Tua and also because no decent backups for dolphins either), and Dak maybe only one year left. Falcons even mid-late rnd QB in case Kirk.

Basically....if you dont have a young superstar QB like Allen, Burrow, Stroud, Richardson (), Mahomes, Herbert, Hurts (), Love (), Murray, Young ().....youre a team who has to draft a QB....just depends which round.

So teams like Giants and Jets you could envision waiting for a mid round for a QB...but you can make a case its almost a no-brainer they do take QB early as possible....Jones sucks and Rodgers is breaking down physically probably now

During the season I thought he'd be about a round three pick. Would do something very well then stuff something easy. Had some excellent teammates that saved him a fair few times. Odunze looks like a day one starter.

Caleb Williams had some great talent at USC helping in out. So did Jayden Daniels.

The supporting cast is irrelevant because it bears no weight once the ball is out of his hands in the air.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eric Edholm's top 100 prospects 2.0: Ranking the best players in the 2024 NFL Draft class​

Rank

JC Latham
Alabama · OT · Junior
I might have been a tad too harsh on Latham in the previous top 100. He's a thick-bodied mauler with decent movement skills, although he will succumb to quick-twitch rushers now and then.

Rank

Michael Penix Jr.
Washington · QB · Senior
Why the big move up? Well, his athletic testing numbers were better than expected, and his medical evaluation at the combine was positive. I think there's a good chance he ends up being the fifth QB taken in the first round. Penix can spin it as well as anyone in this class.

That would be good for us.

After fighting through a knee injury, Crosby is back to 100% and as optimistic as ever entering his first full year under head coach Antonio Pierce.
"Recovery and rehab has been incredible," Crosby said on Monday. "I just did my conditioning tests last week and smashed it. And I'm feeling better than I ever have, so it's been an incredible offseason so far."

Former Pro Bowl guard Cody Whitehair is following his old offensive coordinator Luke Getsy to the desert.

Whitehair, a Pro Bowl selection in 2018 for the Chicago Bears, agreed to a one-year contract with the Las Vegas Raiders on Monday, two months after Getsy, the Bears' offensive coordinator the previous two seasons, came to Southern Nevada.

Former Pro Bowl guard Cody Whitehair is following his old offensive coordinator Luke Getsy to the desert.

Whitehair, a Pro Bowl selection in 2018 for the Chicago Bears, agreed to a one-year contract with the Las Vegas Raiders on Monday, two months after Getsy, the Bears' offensive coordinator the previous two seasons, came to Southern Nevada.

Given Whitehair has played significant at left guard and Parham played RG at college and a few starts in the pros, I wonder if Parham moves to RG and Whitehair starts at LG this season?

Given Whitehair has played significant at left guard and Parham played RG at college and a few starts in the pros, I wonder if Parham moves to RG and Whitehair starts at LG this season?
That would give us Miller, Whitehair, James, Parham and Munford. Less need to draft a RG or RT first round, Maybe.
Go all in on a QB

Last edited:
Raiders All-Pro edge rusher Maxx Crosby has earned the right to have his voice heard and considered as the leader of the Silver and Black. As a captain, it will be important to Crosby who the team brings in next week.

"Yeah, I think at the end of the day, I look at the things that require zero talent," Crosby told reporters on Monday. "Everybody's talented in the NFL, everyone's got ability. The things that matter to me are dudes that are consistent and they've got relentless effort, dudes that are curious and continuously looking to find ways to improve. That's the dudes that I look at. I don't give a [expletive] if you went to Alaska State Technical Institute or Nebraska or LSU, none of that matters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back