Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
I first heard Jimmy Buffett's music in a drive-in movie in mid 70s called Rancho Deluxe. Livingston Saturday Night particularly caught my ear. So I started looking around for more. Got hooked of course, Volcano, Pencil Thin Mustache, Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw all favorites for a mid teen guy. I didn't get Margaritaville until I got to drinking age, but like millions of others we had our Margariitaville afternoons parties.
My favorite album was his live one You Had to Be There. Great early selection, even better band and arrangements.
RIP Captain

Last edited:
Yeah, I was really bummed out by his passing. Only got into his music in the last few years, just cruisy easy listening stuff.
Great guy and great businessman too, just seemed to have the right attitude to life.
Fins up!

Only just caught this thread now - it’s appropriate Jimmy got this recognition on the main music board.

Tributes had been made on the Country Music board (posts # 941-944) and it just so happened his life, career and contributions to music - including the “Gulf & Western” sub-genre he created - were featured (in brief) just a couple of months previous (see posts # 911-924 in the Country Music thread).

From the Age's "Odd Spot".
A newly discovered sea snail species found in the Florida Keys is helping to keep alive the memory of singer-songwriter Jimmy Buffett, who died last month. The bright yellow snail has been named Cayo margarita in recognition of Buffett's song Margaritaville. Biologist Rdiger Bieler, who describes himself as "a bit of a parrot head", as Buffett fans are known, first came upon the snail while diving. He said it was "rather charismatic".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back