AI in music

Remove this Banner Ad

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The progression of AI in music this year is starting to get scary and must be making everyone involved in the music industry a little nervous about what the future might hold.

For example people recording songs and then getting AI to do vocals that can sound like any vocalist dead or alive.

Makes you think what people will be able to do in 5 years time and if all music will eventually be created with AI with no need for humans to learn and play instruments anymore.

Discuss with me if you wish..

Yeah I think its a massive problem, because I think what you say will happen is right, but that will only be the start.
We got this s**t completely arse backwards.
Machines were supposed to take care of the drudgery humans would prefer not to do, not take over the arts FFS.
A.I will destroy music, completely and wholly.
And the kicker is , most people will not a give a single *.
They couldnt really care less where their music comes from or how it is made.
We started this slippery slope when music was wholly devalued in the early 2000's, via downloading and later streaming.
Now, no one believes music is something they should pay for, outside a of a few enthusiasts.
Welcome to the new world of music human shittiness and greed has created.
A.I is going to take it to the next step, and F*** the carcass.

generated music isn't new, per se. authechre's 'confield' album comes to mind - Confield - Wikipedia

purely as a thing to listen to, i guess there could be some issues with people passing it off as real. but in the end they can't gain a monopoly. they can only compete with real musicians, people will buy and listen to what they want, real or ai. people can't be made to like the music that gets created.

there will be plenty of people who consume what gets made by ai in the name of trying to sell loads of copies or make #1 hits or whatever. that won't change. but the musical world away from this, away from mainstream music where people pursue a craft, i would like to think remains largely untouched.
much like the physical arts, ai won't be able to replicate a live performance or a thing that lives outside the digital world.

i guess as someone who generally follows music not concerned with how many copies and more concerned with artistic vision, i say let it saturate the market. it won't affect the music i like, and some could even become music i like. my collection is based on what i like, not what i choose to exclude.
it's my responsibility to search out the music i prefer to listen to, whether that be stylistically or whether it uses real instruments. real instrument music will always exist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back