Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
David Bowie:

20220817_134703.jpg

Purple7x08_24

Director of Music
May 8, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle

I love all music genres, just hate generic or (common) music. This is why I love the complexity and ordered chaos like Life on Mars

I think everyone has their own set of criteria for determining the quality of music. I've only just been dipping into every possible genre I can think of. I'm really appreciating metal but I think for me, the most awesome songs have a careful balance between clean vocals, clean instrumentals and screamo with deep complexities throughout the track.

Here is an example of a couple of songs on my playlists with that careful balance.

Spearman

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Damn Biato comes up with some quality interviews.

In the Room with Nirvana and Soundgarden: The Krist Novoselic, Kim Thayil and Jack Endino Interview​

I really have a romantic view of organic music scenes. NY punk, Laurel Canyon, Chicago blues, etc. My favorite is London R&B from early 60s. Anyway the Seattle grunge scene: I just missed it as I moved abroad in 90. But I remember hearing about the bands that became grunge on the underage punk scene in the PacNW. I might have heard Soundgarden or Mudhoney at a music fest, but I wasn't into that thrashy punk. I would have preferred the more RnR type like the Ramones or Pistols. At that time I was into live blues at the clubs. Their scene was younger guys. The ironic thing was at the time I played a lot of open tuning guitar and harder versions of Stones like songs. I should have started a band. :grinv1:
It's fun to listen to these guys reminisce. That's the best things about a scene, the shared experiences.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Damn Biato comes up with some quality interviews.

In the Room with Nirvana and Soundgarden: The Krist Novoselic, Kim Thayil and Jack Endino Interview​

I really have a romantic view of organic music scenes. NY punk, Laurel Canyon, Chicago blues, etc. My favorite is London R&B from early 60s. Anyway the Seattle grunge scene: I just missed it as I moved abroad in 90. But I remember hearing about the bands that became grunge on the underage punk scene in the PacNW. I might have heard Soundgarden or Mudhoney at a music fest, but I wasn't into that thrashy punk. I would have preferred the more RnR type like the Ramones or Pistols. At that time I was into live blues at the clubs. Their scene was younger guys. The ironic thing was at the time I played a lot of open tuning guitar and harder versions of Stones like songs. I should have started a band. :grinv1:
It's fun to listen to these guys reminisce. That's the best things about a scene, the shared experiences.

Guys being influenced by other guys is easy to understand, but where does completely new playing and genres come from?

That's what amazes me

I was in a band from 16 to 21 and we evolved and changed a hell of a lot.

Makes me feel kinda bad, we didn't go further just to see what new stuff we could have come up with

Spearman

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Guys being influenced by other guys is easy to understand, but where does completely new playing and genres come from?

That's what amazes me

I was in a band from 16 to 21 and we evolved and changed a hell of a lot.

Makes me feel kinda bad, we didn't go further just to see what new stuff we could have come up with
It's a bit of a crapshoot; new, unique ideas come for an individual all the time(if they stay solo) but then get watered down or swallowed in a group, or a group mix of disparate ideas or styles mix to form something new.

Remove this Banner Ad