Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
David Bowie:

20220817_134703.jpg

May 8, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Eagles NFL, 76ers, Blue Jays

I love all music genres, just hate generic or (common) music. This is why I love the complexity and ordered chaos like Life on Mars

I think everyone has their own set of criteria for determining the quality of music. I've only just been dipping into every possible genre I can think of. I'm really appreciating metal but I think for me, the most awesome songs have a careful balance between clean vocals, clean instrumentals and screamo with deep complexities throughout the track.

Here is an example of a couple of songs on my playlists with that careful balance.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Damn Biato comes up with some quality interviews.

In the Room with Nirvana and Soundgarden: The Krist Novoselic, Kim Thayil and Jack Endino Interview​

I really have a romantic view of organic music scenes. NY punk, Laurel Canyon, Chicago blues, etc. My favorite is London R&B from early 60s. Anyway the Seattle grunge scene: I just missed it as I moved abroad in 90. But I remember hearing about the bands that became grunge on the underage punk scene in the PacNW. I might have heard Soundgarden or Mudhoney at a music fest, but I wasn't into that thrashy punk. I would have preferred the more RnR type like the Ramones or Pistols. At that time I was into live blues at the clubs. Their scene was younger guys. The ironic thing was at the time I played a lot of open tuning guitar and harder versions of Stones like songs. I should have started a band. :grinv1:
It's fun to listen to these guys reminisce. That's the best things about a scene, the shared experiences.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Damn Biato comes up with some quality interviews.

In the Room with Nirvana and Soundgarden: The Krist Novoselic, Kim Thayil and Jack Endino Interview​

I really have a romantic view of organic music scenes. NY punk, Laurel Canyon, Chicago blues, etc. My favorite is London R&B from early 60s. Anyway the Seattle grunge scene: I just missed it as I moved abroad in 90. But I remember hearing about the bands that became grunge on the underage punk scene in the PacNW. I might have heard Soundgarden or Mudhoney at a music fest, but I wasn't into that thrashy punk. I would have preferred the more RnR type like the Ramones or Pistols. At that time I was into live blues at the clubs. Their scene was younger guys. The ironic thing was at the time I played a lot of open tuning guitar and harder versions of Stones like songs. I should have started a band. :grinv1:
It's fun to listen to these guys reminisce. That's the best things about a scene, the shared experiences.

Guys being influenced by other guys is easy to understand, but where does completely new playing and genres come from?

That's what amazes me

I was in a band from 16 to 21 and we evolved and changed a hell of a lot.

Makes me feel kinda bad, we didn't go further just to see what new stuff we could have come up with

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Guys being influenced by other guys is easy to understand, but where does completely new playing and genres come from?

That's what amazes me

I was in a band from 16 to 21 and we evolved and changed a hell of a lot.

Makes me feel kinda bad, we didn't go further just to see what new stuff we could have come up with
It's a bit of a crapshoot; new, unique ideas come for an individual all the time(if they stay solo) but then get watered down or swallowed in a group, or a group mix of disparate ideas or styles mix to form something new.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Interesting question, love both bands. CCR definitely has aged well and wins Vietnam soundtrack awards hands down.

CCR was only 68~72, had 2~3 hits, or classic songs on each album. Amazing run.
Stones 68~72 was only one phase of their output; Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Get Your Yayas Out, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main Street. Often noted as their greatest era.

CCR was John Fogerty, easily one the greatest song writers of all time. He has a genius knack for the popular hook or catchy rhythm. CCR had a unique sound as well. But for me I can't differentiate between the albums, they could all fit sonically and stylistically on the same one.
That's why I would give it to the Stones, their songs have way more variance. They have as many hits or more on each record during that stretch of years. They got Mick Taylor in for a couple of those albums hugely changing the sound.
Individually I give the nod to Fogerty as a songwriter over either Jagger's or Richard's solo songs. The Stones also had Jimmy Miller producing through those years.

a little gospel head to head?

May 8, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Interesting question, love both bands. CCR definitely has aged well and wins Vietnam soundtrack awards hands down.

CCR was only 68~72, had 2~3 hits, or classic songs on each album. Amazing run.
Stones 68~72 was only one phase of their output; Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Get Your Yayas Out, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main Street. Often noted as their greatest era.

CCR was John Fogerty, easily one the greatest song writers of all time. He has a genius knack for the popular hook or catchy rhythm. CCR had a unique sound as well. But for me I can't differentiate between the albums, they could all fit sonically and stylistically on the same one.
That's why I would give it to the Stones, their songs have way more variance. They have as many hits or more on each record during that stretch of years. They got Mick Taylor in for a couple of those albums hugely changing the sound.
Individually I give the nod to Fogerty as a songwriter over either Jagger's or Richard's solo songs. The Stones also had Jimmy Miller producing through those years.

a little gospel head to head?

I look at CCRs best songs and I get a better feel for than Stones. Yesterday I skipped Paintit black, tears gone by but played right through Ever Seen The Rain, Fortunate Son and Lodi. This is why I rate CCR higher.

Im starting to develop a rolling playlist of my absolute best songs. Not sure if Ill have 10, 20 or 30 songs in the list but Ever Seen The Rain would be around 15-18 range RN.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
I look at CCRs best songs and I get a better feel for than Stones. Yesterday I skipped Paintit black, tears gone by but played right through Ever Seen The Rain, Fortunate Son and Lodi. This is why I rate CCR higher.

Im starting to develop a rolling playlist of my absolute best songs. Not sure if Ill have 10, 20 or 30 songs in the list but Ever Seen The Rain would be around 15-18 range RN.
Well you're comparing the Stones back in 66~67. Those were the pop years, between the early blues and the later Greatest Band in the World era. I don't rate them either as far as rock'n roll goes.
Try JJF, TD, Bitch, BS, CYHMK, HTW :grinv1: Totally different band from the 60s Stones.

TBH I love Lodi, Born on Bayou, Down On the Corner, WStR, and FS. I actually tried to put together a late 60s Vietnam list for my son's coffee shop. I initially had decided to limit any artist to no more than 3 tunes. Gave it up early as soon as CCR came up. :) I had 10 without thinking. lol
I love playing those opening riffs as well.

Really tough call, a bit of apples and oranges, want them both :thumbsu:

May 8, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Well you're comparing the Stones back in 66~67. Those were the pop years, between the early blues and the later Greatest Band in the World era. I don't rate them either as far as rock'n roll goes.
Try JJF, TD, Bitch, BS, CYHMK, HTW :grinv1: Totally different band from the 60s Stones.

TBH I love Lodi, Born on Bayou, Down On the Corner, WStR, and FS. I actually tried to put together a late 60s Vietnam list for my son's coffee shop. I initially had decided to limit any artist to no more than 3 tunes. Gave it up early as soon as CCR came up. :) I had 10 without thinking. lol
I love playing those opening riffs as well.

Really tough call, a bit of apples and oranges, want them both :thumbsu:

Still on the CCR Train though

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Both great bands but The Stones beat CCR due to longevity and their ability to try different styles of music, their peak was the Mick Taylor era imo.

CCR are a bit like Cream who should also be in the discussion for the greatest rock bands, their lifespan was even shorter than CCR, they were 66-68.

Some incredible musicians back then which you don't see as much of now, might be due to the internet and social media sucking up everyone's time.

Back in the 60s and 70s you didn't have that internet distraction so people would spend more time learning how to play instruments and playing music.

I know I did before the internet took over and distracted me, I was all set to form the next Stones, CCR or Cream, now I just talk about them here.

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
Some incredible musicians back then which you don't see as much of now, might be due to the internet and social media sucking up everyone's time.

Back in the 60s and 70s you didn't have that internet distraction so people would spend more time learning how to play instruments and playing music.

I know I did before the internet took over and distracted me, I was all set to form the next Stones, CCR or Cream, now I just talk about them here.
Rock just had one its strongest years in ages, but go off queen...

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Why aren't Creedence more highly regarded? Just the band The Dude listens to. Ramble Tamble is amazing
They had hit singles at the time and were the biggest selling single artists in the USA for a couple of years. Nothing wrong with that, but they didn't have that "cool" factor in their favour ( whatever that means) The Americans liked them, not sure they loved them or at least kept that admiraiton a secret as they lauded Iron Butterrly, Vanila Fudge, The Band, CSN&Y, Canned Heat, Allman Brothers, Jefferson Airplane and tried to work out exactly where the Doors stood in the mix of things.
CCR were also not as oragnised, if you look at their career, there were no properly scheduled USA tours, they played concerts alright, but it was all over the place, the problems set in very early in their successful career which had already been going some 10 years before their first hit record. In 1969 CCR were probably the biggest band in the world, but they don't get the recognition they deserve.
IMO there is little in common with the Rolling Stones who were different beast altogether who had just re launced themselves on stage again and had begun their second peak period, some say their best ?
John Lingan Author of the Bio bok "Wrote a Song For Everyone " states: John Fogerty had an unbelievable range as a singer, and as a songwriter and guitar player. I think of his range as a reflection of his influences, which were, foremost as a singer, black singers. I think he was really indebted to Little Richard and James Brown. That’s how he got the rasp and the howl that we think of. But he was also in thrall to his older brother who loved those vocal groups, doo wop groups.
The Rolling Stones influences are heavily indebted to the Blues artists of the 40s and 50s, Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Sonny Boy Williamson, Hound Dog Taylor, Elmore James, Jimmy Reed and a whole stack of others. The Stones were simply magical from 1964 and at least until Mick Taylor left in 1974.
Creedence Clearwater Revival could very well be America's greatest band, but you may get a lot of musical snobs argue against that. One of the saddest stories in rock music history, but what a band they were. John Fogerty is one of the greatest singer, songwriter, gutiar players of all time, just a lousy manager! The story is very difficult to read about without shaking your head in disbelief at virtually everything that went on...

Saw TOOL on their last tour.
If you were caught using your phone, you got kicked out! Great idea!
How it should be. Enjoy the music, don’t worry about showing off your footage on Facebook!!!
They allowed phones to be used during the last song to keep the kids happy.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Saw TOOL on their last tour.
If you were caught using your phone, you got kicked out! Great idea!
How it should be. Enjoy the music, don’t worry about showing off your footage on Facebook!!!
They allowed phones to be used during the last song to keep the kids happy.
Yeah, glad I am of an earlier generation. It seems nowadays, some people can't experience life except through a small screen. If your are dumb enough to go to any touristy spot, that is also all you see. This magnificent scenery and they never actually soak in it. They take a quick selfie with it in the background and off they go. :rolleyes:
To think of it though, I have enjoyed many a bootleg in and from the old days, from the big groups that rarely showed up. LZ, the Stones...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back