General Music Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Not sure what happened to this board, it used to be the best on Bigfooty, but there's just so few threads that get created and very limited discussion on the whole.

The General Metal thread gets a lot of traffic and has a lot of regular contributors, and as much as I have a number of metal bands that I like - Mastodon, Slayer, Baroness, Isis etc, it's not quite my wheelhouse and a lot of the technical aspects of the music get lost on me. It's closer to classic music than pop music stylistically; in most cases anyway.

Otherwise a huge amount of threads are just used to critique mainstream bands.

I consider myself more of music generalist, as much as that doesn't really suit the kinds of communities that the internet encourages, but I prefer appreciating a little bit of everything. Naturally I have my favourite artists - Elliott Smith, Modest Mouse, At The Drive In - but I'm not especially fanatical.

So what are you listening to? What band from the 70's have you just found? How many more decent albums did Jeff Buckley have in him?

I've just discovered T. Rex recently after years of assuming they were middle-of-the-road and love their sound and Bolan's lyrics.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Recently found Fair to Midland.. Really enjoying their album Fables from a Mayfly
There’s a band that’s been on my radar for a while and seems right up my alley.

From what I have heard they’re pretty to Deftones, who I slept on for way too long.

What are some of your favourite songs?

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
Good thread idea.

I had a really weird thing a few weeks ago (maybe more?) when I finally, apropos of nothing, got around to checking out some of Kate Bush's stuff. Loved 'Running Up That Hill' straight away. Was put on repeat. A week later I notice that she's trending on twitter etc and see that Stranger Things have used that exact song and now she's exploded back onto the charts. I've never watched the show, hadn't talked about it or her with anyone...

It was quite a... strange thing. (hahahahah)

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Good thread idea.

I had a really weird thing a few weeks ago (maybe more?) when I finally, apropos of nothing, got around to checking out some of Kate Bush's stuff. Loved 'Running Up That Hill' straight away. Was put on repeat. A week later I notice that she's trending on twitter etc and see that Stranger Things have used that exact song and now she's exploded back onto the charts. I've never watched the show, hadn't talked about it or her with anyone...

Yeh I started listening to Kate Bush last year. Had no idea what to expect, but her music sounds really modern. Can clearly hear the influence on singers like Regina Spector and Fiona Apple or even Grimes. Really love the big drum sounds.

I know Running Up That Hill has exploded again recently, but it’s interesting how many alternative artists have covered it. Placebo did a version on their covers album, think Car Seat Headrest do a live version. It’s a pretty malleable song.

I’ve been getting back into Regina Spector in a big way recently - speaking of.

Soviet Kitsch is such a good LP. Perfect end-to-end. Doesn’t go overboard with the eccentricities which she had a tendency to do on later albums, and Fiona Apple really overcooked on Fetch The Boltcutters. I know Begin To Hope was the album that got her really well known - a couple of those songs were used on the 500 Days of Summer soundtrack - but it’s aged pretty poorly IMO. Really weak singles, way too long, just a bit too refined. Really took a lot of those Death Cab For Cutie guitar tones and dialled it up.

She also has a new album which sounded pretty decent on first listen. Far is also great and probably my second favourite Regina Spektor album.

Recently found We Lost the Sea as well, band from Sydney. Giving them a run lately, they're playing at Northcote Social later in the year... will have a gander.

Their first two albums are more post-metal with a singer, but tragically he took his own life at quite a young age in 2013. After that the band transformed to writing instrumentals, playing a more atmospheric/melodic post-rock sound. I like both compositions of the band.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Recently found We Lost the Sea as well, band from Sydney. Giving them a run lately, they're playing at Northcote Social later in the year... will have a gander.

Their first two albums are more post-metal with a singer, but tragically he took his own life at quite a young age in 2013. After that the band transformed to writing instrumentals, playing a more atmospheric/melodic post-rock sound. I like both compositions of the band.
These guys are great.

Dunno if you’ve heard them but they are really similar to Pelican. Sit somewhere between post-rock and post-metal - really heavy at times.

The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw is a hard 10.

Red Sparowes are great too. IIRC they’re a couple of members of Pelican and a couple of members of Isis - another one of my all time favourites.

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
I have no interest in Splendour In The Grass as a festival, but been following the sh*tshow it has been this year mainly because I have a young cousin who went.

Whatever happened to music festivals held in cities, e.g. Big Day Out, Soundwave etc? They were never perfect but at least things like transport, access to facilities, basic shelter etc. weren't impossible.

Why do you need to get on a bus for hours to go to a paddock in the middle of winter to see a festival? I don't get it.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
I listen to a lot of music, around 2 albums almost every day. I like a really wide range of music, as long as it's good players and good singers. This site has informed me about lots of artists that I had never heard of before. My friends often ask me how I have heard of different albums I recommend or give to them. I just pay attention to what I hear. I've just watched the first series of Mystery Road and found Andy Golledge from Sydney. Never heard of him before watching Mystery Road.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good thread idea.

I love the fact that so many people have recently discovered Kate Bush, I was lucky enough to be introduced to her back in 1978 when my best friends older brother played her debut album in 1978. Not only did he introduce me to Kate, but he also introduced me to Devo, Blondie, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Heart, The Clash, The Jam, The Stranglers and many others, most are still amongst my favourite artists today.

I do hope that those who have discovered Kate through Stranger Things and the song Running Up That Hill take the time to listen to more of her music, she is such an amazing artist, who made some incredible albums.

Mar 19, 2014
Newcastle
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors, Dallas, Liverpool
I love the fact that so many people have recently discovered Kate Bush, I was lucky enough to be introduced to her back in 1978 when my best friends older brother played her debut album in 1978. Not only did he introduce me to Kate, but he also introduced me to Devo, Blondie, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Heart, The Clash, The Jam, The Stranglers and many others, most are still amongst my favourite artists today.

I do hope that those who have discovered Kate through Stranger Things and the song Running Up That Hill take the time to listen to more of her music, she is such an amazing artist, who made some incredible albums.
Running Up That Hill has been my favourite song since 2018. Since it's taken off recently I've been torn between-
A) feeling proud of it's cultural resurgence/happy that friends have discovered her.
B) petty annoyance that mates think I found her from Stranger Things/wishing it remained my somewhat hidden gem (wasn't around when hound of love was first released) and
C) the overriding rationale that I should be nonchalant about the whole thing.

How did posters react when their favourite musicians took off in popularity?

I have no interest in Splendour In The Grass as a festival, but been following the sh*tshow it has been this year mainly because I have a young cousin who went.

Whatever happened to music festivals held in cities, e.g. Big Day Out, Soundwave etc? They were never perfect but at least things like transport, access to facilities, basic shelter etc. weren't impossible.

Why do you need to get on a bus for hours to go to a paddock in the middle of winter to see a festival? I don't get it.
I'm guessing it comes down to how hard it would be to get permit approval from local councils to hold something close to a major city. Australians like to think we're anti-authoritarian and chill but we're actually a nation of NIMBYs that couldn't handle having a single weekend in a year of loud noise and drunk people in our neighborhood.

I'd like to see Melbourne and Sydney build some purpose built parklands for major festivals around the suburbs close to public transport. 51 weeks of the year they're for the local residents and public, 1 week they're for a festival. Build a few different parks and venues so the one spot doesn't have to deal with multiple festivals a year.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

If you're on enough MDMA these things aren't important.

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
I'm guessing it comes down to how hard it would be to get permit approval from local councils to hold something close to a major city. Australians like to think we're anti-authoritarian and chill but we're actually a nation of NIMBYs that couldn't handle having a single weekend in a year of loud noise and drunk people in our neighborhood.

I'd like to see Melbourne and Sydney build some purpose built parklands for major festivals around the suburbs close to public transport. 51 weeks of the year they're for the local residents and public, 1 week they're for a festival. Build a few different parks and venues so the one spot doesn't have to deal with multiple festivals a year.

Adelaide has a month-long city festival every year 🤷‍♂️

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
one tab of discogs open, check band. check band member, check one of their other bands, follow link to bandcamp. check another band, follow link to bandcamp. new music.

works pretty well for punk/post punk at the moment when i'm poking around online, people are in a dozen bands each.

Aug 19, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Montreal Canadiens, Golden State
Joni Mitchell back - not quite the 1968 version, but absolutely wonderful to see her back on stage after serious illness has plagued her for many years. One of the truly great musicians in history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back