Hot Topic Leadership - Footage to sum up Essendon 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

This is how we should play, right MarkG ?

b71670771d313c837d0249b3f67d1c58cf896a1b.jpg
I like your statue a lot, but what I was meaning by drawing a line in the sand is more like...

upload_2018-5-1_17-54-18.png

Happened on the centre square line. Hep was running parallel to it to setup on the other side as an option then went to defend the ball on the rebound.

Playing the game. Like he should be. Not getting caught on a scuffle accomplishing a complete fall down in structure and a fine.

This isnt the 90s there would be no square up. No flying the flag. Those acts arent in our game, and thus he did what he should have. Played his role in the structure.

I see your point but as captain surely Hepp should have gone over and at least pushed one of the Melbourne players over before getting into position, he has basically left a senior team mate to be kept out of position so in effect prevent that structure being properly set up.

Think it's pretty clear none of us want an nbl team or an eSports team. We want a mixed martial arts dojo
How about a rugby franchise?. We could cross-train and finally learn how to tackle and how to shrug tackles

Hep has made a choice here to continue playing the game for the immediate short-term sake of the team.

But I tend to agree that for the long-term sake of the team a little bit of old-school sticking up for your mates is required as a show of unity to drag your younger teammates along with you. Otherwise the message we are sending is that, as a youngster, you are merely a cog in the developing machine - stick to the structures at all costs. What needs to be shown is that the whole is more than just the sum of its parts. And each component part (player) is as meaningful as the whole. Ultimately that sense of meaning comes when your leaders get in there to protect and defend you because you are that Whole - a signature of the Team.

If I was Hepp, I would have gone in and said to Zacky, you go and get a cheap kick while I handle these dills instead we had ZMerrett taking himself out of the game to handle it.

How’s Oliver’s form, going the pinch?

I for one believe a return to the uber-violence and sickening thuggery of the 80’s would be merely taking a measured and conservative approach. But you do have to proceed slowly and logically. Start at the ground floor and work your way up. Hepp should be taken through the sequence, from taking issue to remonstrating, from remonstrating to wrestle, from wrestle to jumper-punch, from jumper-punch to fracas, fracas to melee, melee to brawl, etc. One step at a time.
In responding to Oliver, a Chinese burn would have been in order; for Jones a moonslap (take that baldy!); for the dwarfish Spargo, a wedgie (obviously). It’s only then you can proceed to sconners, dead-arms, dead-legs, fart-and-carries, and groin-flicks...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised anyone is surprised.
Outside McKenna's hangry outburst a few weeks back, we rarely see our players go up for anything at the tribunal.

Cotch walked a very fine line last year and selwood seems to be allowed to belt guys whenever he wants

There aren't many on our list who you'd think have that edge to them
Smith, merrett, Goddard. Maybe hooker.

Surprising, cos woosha could deal a mean but fair blow in his day.
Wwouldn't mind his captain ethos to take over his coaching one.
If we lose, it would be nice if the team who beat us felt it the next day

After the supplements saga and Jobe stepping aside to give the side a youthful kick, has Essendon ellected the right man for the job to lead our club forward?

At two weeks shy of 26 years old, Dyson Heppel seems a great guy, a fella you'd love to have a beer and a laugh with, but realistically are we gonna be stuck with him for the next five years to set the trend and for our young players to aspire to be like? There is no one else to fill the position, he's the best of a really, really bad bunch of leaders but surely we can't go on like this.

The capitulation for me was watching on as he walked passed Brendan Goddard, flog or not, fighting three Melbourne players on his own and our boy Dyson just strolled passed within 5 meters without even batting an eye lid.

I want a captain who cracks in hard, physically takes it to the opposition and can at least give some sort of inspiration to the players around him. If Heppel bought just a hint of this to his game Id turn a blind eye to his deplorable disposal.

Dev and Pidge seem the only two that attack the game with enough campaigner in them to set the trend but I don't think either will ever have the physical presence needed. Is it too unrealistic to think we should be looking to trade for a ready made, big bodied bull that can really make it clear to our current pea hearts that playing AFL isn't just an easy paycheck for 10 years of your life?

I'm not even fed up with the club, I'm just realistic at where we are at and the fact is that we are on par with St Kilda and Carlton. A lot needs to change and it's gotta start at the top.
Do like dev and his attitude.
Would support him as captain or VC behind merrett.

Had my inklings last year and ignored them but I'm 100% this year that I dont like heppell as captain.

It wont be a case of "If Hawthorn get physical" it will be "When Hawthorn get physical".

Unfortunately every team in the AFL will target Essendon in a similar fashion now. We have created a dilemma for ourselves and the more times we crumble under physical pressure, the worse things are going to get.

It is "Line in the sand".
It can work quite well, a la Lloyd restructuring sewells skull and the hawks team losing their minds over it.

One expendable player, runs through Mitchell at the first stoppage, and we take the game from there.

Leadership isn't about knocking people's blocks off anyway, do we even have a talisman any more? The guy that takes over when the game is on the line or the opponent is on a run?

Everyone has the guy, the Bont, Danger, Cripps, Pendles, Dusty... They don't even have to wear the C

But it seems all of our leaders are not game changers, they are compilers.

You'll never turn a game in an instant compiling, thats a death of a thousand cuts type of win.

Leadership isn't about knocking people's blocks off anyway, do we even have a talisman any more? The guy that takes over when the game is on the line or the opponent is on a run?

Everyone has the guy, the Bont, Danger, Cripps, Pendles, Dusty... They don't even have to wear the C

You'll never turn a game in an instant compiling, thats a death of a thousand cuts type of win.
probably should be Daniher.
Has the athleticism and skill and he is tall, mobile and a freak leap.

If he's injured, we need him fit
If he's out of form, we need him back in form.
And we need to sort out the errant shots on goal.

Could also be Stringer!

It can work quite well, a la Lloyd restructuring sewells skull and the hawks team losing their minds over it.

One expendable player, runs through Mitchell at the first stoppage, and we take the game from there.

We don’t need cheap shots. Just a bit of heart......just a tiny little bit.

This ties in with whats been in the back of my mind lately. Whether you identify one player or whether you look towards a whole team psychological trigger, something is lacking. There's lots of ways of describing that type of thing. Call it a thirst for the challenge, or call it aggression, or call it a winning mindset. There needs to be something that happens when the going gets really tough. Instead Essendon right now seem to have a mechanism that actually breaks when you apply enough heat. You could almost say the team hasn't found it's psychological mojo.
We should change captain to BJ and tell everyone that they need to match whatever intensity and aggression that BJ is showing :)

it should be JD - but I don't think it can be. This taslisman needs to be trusted - tell me how at ease you are when JD marks the ball in the 50? you are never quite sure if he will kick it or not, it creates an uneasy atmosphere. When you are on the charge or trying to stem an opposition onslaught the last thing you need is for the steadying goal to go OOF... its just a massive deflator for the crowd and the team, stops any momentum you have built and gets the other crowd up and about a bit more.

The closet thing we have at the minute is probably DEV - or Stringer if hes on.

This ties in with whats been in the back of my mind lately. Whether you identify one player or whether you look towards a whole team psychological trigger, something is lacking. There's lots of ways of describing that type of thing. Call it a thirst for the challenge, or call it aggression, or call it a winning mindset. There needs to be something that happens when the going gets really tough. Instead Essendon right now seem to have a mechanism that actually breaks when you apply enough heat. You could almost say the team hasn't found it's psychological mojo.
We should change captain to BJ and tell everyone that they need to match whatever intensity and aggression that BJ is showing :)

I think know the exact thing you mean!

it feels like we trade punches for a while, then all of a sudden the other team goes up a gear, instead of doing the same we insist on sticking to the exact same way were play - like its a rule or something. While they run harder and spread farther, going in 3s and 4s we are like traffic cones in formation.

Remember the days when we would concede 2 goals, Hird would take himself to the centre, and get the next 2 clearances - where is that? who is that person these days?

Well he was Captain in 2016 and I felt we had a lot more aggression and intensity that year with much more kids in the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back