Roast Leon Davis

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing I liked about Leon's game tonight is that, although he had a shocker, he kept presenting time and again. In the past he would have completely faded out of the game & we wouldn't have seen him after 1/4 time. Tonight he was in the game right throughout, even though he couldn't take a trick all night.

I'd advocate him getting dropped if it was a 'traditional shocker', but it wasn't.

His intensity was high, he chased, he harassed, he was a genuine nuisance to the Sydney defenders and played a part in our win. I've seen him play bad games where he looks disinterested, doesn't have repeat efforts when we don't have the ball and sulks. This was not one of those games.

He just doesn't seem to have his silky 'one touch' skills in congestion and fumbles a bit too much.

Does anyone know if he is training during the week? as his touch lookslike someone who spends all week in cotton wool and only comes out for game-day.

He is working hard, but the big concern for me is that he looks to have completely lost his pace.

He's slower than his defensive match-up almost every week, which makes life very hard as a forward pocket.

I'd prefer Medhurst in the team, tbh.

Agree with the above.

I'm more concerned with the fact that our two best small forwards (bar Didak), Medhurst and Davis, are struggling to find form.

We need these guys at their best come finals time.

With our next 2 games against lesser opposition, Davis will have no excuses and hopefully finds his touch.

I loved Leon's game tonight. It seemed to me he just had one of those nights where all the luck was sucked dry. But watch the game again. He ran, he chased, he zoned off, was in all the rights spots, fumbled a couple uncharacteristically and got unlucky with a couple of ump decisions but was generally doing the right thing for the team. Remember though that he plays a graveyard position. Liked him starting in the centre. Its unfortunate medhurst's form is off and dick is injured cause realistically he is played out of position most of the time.

In the first 5 minutes he looked up and about, chasing and tackling. I thought it was going to be his night, the intent was there, just things didn't go his way. He fumbled a few times and gave away a few free's when tackling.

We have to persist with him, he is really out of form, however we have a few easier games coming up, hopefully he can find form.

Anyone think he is still suffering from last years finals campaign?

I agree with what a number of people have said, and that is that he kept trying all night, harrassing the opposition defenders and applying pressure to keep the ball inside our forward 50. He is definitely lacking touch at the moment but I guess it is partly a confidence issue, he probably needs a blinder just to convince himself of how good he can be. He ain't reading the play all that well at the moment and looks slow off the mark, seems to be getting caught a lot as soon as he finds the ball.

Persist with him, I say, but if his next couple of matches aren't good enough then he probably needs a spell in the VFL.

There's no point playing him in the VFL.

I'd love to know how his body is, because despite good defensive pressure at times he looked a little restricted when running and he does look slower.

I've never seen such a messy game from him with the ball in his hands, but there's no need to send him to back to the VFL to get touch, let him find it in the seniors.

People forget three weeks ago he was in the best 3 players on the ground against the Dogs ...

Leon tried his heart out last night, but absolutely nothing went right for him.

It is truly starting to look that unless he has an injury problem, that consistency and Leon Davis won't be placed in the same sentence ever again.

He just seems to lack that explosive off the mark pace he had in the middle of last year, which places almost a hope that he is carrying some type of injury.

He is no "spring chicken" any more, but there is still a future for Leon, and with Dick struggling with his shoulder, Leon will get at least one more chance next week, and I would grant him that 1 more chance before either resting him or playing him in the VFL.

He is no "spring chicken" any more, but there is still a future for Leon, and with Dick struggling with his shoulder, Leon will get at least one more chance next week, and I would grant him that 1 more chance before either resting him or playing him in the VFL.

He has a Quite a Few Goes Now Leon but only had 1 Good game vs the Dogs all season

Re: Leon Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOELY
Played a shocker and is in bad form but if you're going to be labeling our players spuds take it to Bay 13. You also labeled Ben Reid a spud once upon a time so I don't think your judgment all that great anyway.

Maybe spud is a little too harsh. Its just so frustrating watching Leon play as I know what he is capable of and he is so out of form at the moment. He really should be playing VFL.

Leon has had more than enough chances. He's totally out of form and I think he is an embarresment to himself considering what he is capable of. Off to the VFL until he gets some form back. It's pointless persisting with him until he stops fumbling the ball, missing easy marks, acting for free kicks, turning over the ball.
On last nights performance I would give him a score of 1 out of 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This site frustrates me at times. I'm sure you are all passionate Pies supporters, Go to every Pies match and understand this game. However, we are wasting our time posting on this ridiculous thread and reading some idiot calling Leon a 'Spud'... Am I giving us Pies supporters too much credit saying that we all understand the game... Leon did have an average game but we all know how good he can be! He still had excellent defensive pressure and in the top 6 players in tackles for the night. He doesn't look right but VFL wont help him.. Either rest him or keep playing him at senior level if the coaches and match committee deem he is right to play. He will turn it around but to call him a 'spud', well we have some disappointing supporters amongst us!

I know, I know here we go again but I dont understand why Mick is persisting with this spud. It would be better for the team if we dropped him and only had 21 players on the field. He is just absolutely useless.
he's just down on confidence. cant write him off yet. we all know he is a star. will come good by september

First 5 minutes of the Sydney game he had a few touches, but after his horrific drop when hand-balled the ball from Dick less then 20 metres out his confidence and game just wen't downhill. Rest of the game was was 'ok', he did have a lot of bad luck but also he was quite poor and didn't read the ball movement or his fellow players that great. On one occasion in the game I saw him around the ball, where a few mids were handballing to each-other with lots of space and Davis just dropped to our left wing and backed off. He had many chances of getting more attempts at the ball but he just seemed out of it.

He should go to the VFL for a week to get his feet back and get his confidence rejuvenated, however with the chance of Dick out and Collingwood having a few weeks of very winnable games, I think he will be kept in the AFL squad and hopefully he can get his performance back, cause we really need him to fire in September.

I know people, including myself, say he is a star and has had a few good game this year, like the bulldogs game, but he isn't playing to his best, and for the majority of the Collingwood faithful we just want to see him kicking his magical goals and wagging his fingers in the air once again.

Go Neon Leon. :)

Seems to have lost his 1 touch ability.

The guy is a perennial big game choker. What's the point in persisting with him? He's only going to get worse from here I mean he's almost 30 years old. May as well trade him for what you can get after (if he isn't dropped) he costs you another crack at a flag

Too many Pie fans listened to Walls and the great Pie hater Tim Lane.

It seemed they like Dermie so often had Leon in the cross hairs all night.

I thought Davis was one of the many who kept frontal pressure up, and it was a fair performance.

If injured, Davis could benefit from a rest.
If fit, this week against the Eagles, he should be let off the chain to spend some time getting cheap goals and kicks across half back.

Best having him fit and ready for the finals though.

He has a Quite a Few Goes Now Leon but only had 1 Good game vs the Dogs all season

He was also good in Round 1 vs the Dogs, and he was leading the competition for inside 50 tackles before he was injured.

Geelong game was hardly his fault, we kicked it to him as if he was Aaron Sandilands all night!

Surprised Wallsy didn't ask for him to have a run in the ruck during the commentary

I thought Davis was one of the many who kept frontal pressure up, and it was a fair performance.

If injured, Davis could benefit from a rest.
If fit, this week against the Eagles, he should be let off the chain to spend some time getting cheap goals and kicks across half back.

Best having him fit and ready for the finals though.

Have to disagree with you. It was a poor performance by any standards.
His confidence must be shot. And his performance in the finals last year was'nt much better. On recent form he does'nt deserve a place in the side against the Weagles. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back