• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Good folk of Sweet, I'm here today to discuss the elephant in the room. As we sit, from what I understand we're currently less than a week away from match threads starting with round 1 matches to be posted Sunday 22nd January. Although there has been no official word on the exact start day of the competition. Along with that there had been no thread started by our glorious and super organised leader Kennedy Parker for teams to list their office squads for season 35. Even as a simmer for S35 I haven't been given a solid time frame. There's been no mention of how many games will be played this season or how long the break will be between season 35 & 36.

Still, this is not the reason I am writing this thread, no, there is a bigger elephant, there he is, sitting in the sand pit with his head out of sight. The elephant I refer to is the current state and health of the league. Through numerous sources I have found some very concerning information. Firstly let's shine some light on the Dragons list, which only a week ago was sitting UNDER the minimum list numbers. It has been confirmed by multiple sources that the only way they have been able to gain the extra poster required to bring them back up to the minimum is with out side assistance. Someone who has been generous enough to recruit for a club they don't enemy play for. This is incredibly concerning. What will happen should the Dragons face a similar situation next off season? Will this same poster be kind enough to render the same assistance? Now today it has come to light that the poster who has agreed to join the Dragons purely to keep them afloat has just been BANNED. It is unknown at this stage if the ban is permanent or temporary, but even still, this puts the Dragons back into a precarious position of not making the minimum list numbers before the season starts.

It is clear to me that expansion has let some clubs in a very bad position. The second example I have today is the Fighting Furies who have been left in a seriously bad position when Tigerturbulance and co. All up and left for their expansion team. Where are the furies at? Well they lost their best chance at rebuilding at the end of the last season kananooks and to rub salt in their wounds he left for the exact club that caused this mess, the Opidian Old Boys. Losing Dominic03 mid season was another shot in the foot for the furies and losing myself also didnt help their cause. Now it has been confirmed to me by one of their leader ship group members just last night that they have "no idea" if the club has picked up any new recruits because " Pickitt is ******* useless at communicating" not good at all. So the state the furies are in is currently unknown.

Now last season their certainly was a 14th bid for expansion in the works. The team consisted of 7 of the most experienced and highly regarded leaders and posters within the league, of which I was a part. Now why would such a great team of individuals not formally announce any sort of bid confirmation you ask? The answer is simple. Should a 14th team be anointed it will be detrimental to the league. I can guarantee you that we will have more clubs in crisis just like the 2 examples I have already given you.

Today I am hearing a new prominent poster has decided to run their own 14th bid. Good luck to them. I certainly don't think now is the time. Infact after 1 full season, I believe most would agree that odd number of teams just doesn't work in the sfa. So why would I be advocating against expansion if I so desperately want an even number of teams in the competition? Well I believe the time has come where a discussion needs to be had and a decision needs to be made.

Ladies and gentlemen, the time has come for the hard decisions to be made. I believe one for the following two outcomes must happen for the league to remain healthy.

FOLD or MERGER

that's right, either we fold one of the Furies or Dragons, or we Merge them together. Personally I am in favour of a merger because both teams hold a rich history and neither team deserves the dishonour of being folded. Merging these teams means they absorbe the best players from both teams into one. T2B_ , serial_thrilla, NaturalDisaster & omgfridge all playing on the one team. Now I don't say this light heartedly and I certainly don't say it to offend or upset anyone from either of those teams, I have a lot of greats friends that play for both but something must be done.

This brings an added bonus to the rest of the league as players will certainly need to be cut. This leaves an abundance of players on the open market to be wooed by the remaining clubs. A much needed breath of fresh air as recruitment is certainly lacklustre at best by most clubs and there are far more players considering retirement than rookies being recruited to sustain the league.

I dont believe either team should have a say in the decision, for obvious reasons and both clubs will refuse either option. Certainly both clubs should have their say but ultimately this is a decision that should be made by the committee. This is the exact reason the committee exists. This is not food for thought, action must be taken now to protect the league and the clubs from themselves.

So to recap,

Timeframe on season start
How many rounds will the season consist of
How long will the off season be
Will Dragons and Furies meet the minimum
14th bid is live and in planning
FOLD or MERGE

i have faith in the furies ability to eventually bounce back.. The Filth Wizard gave a brilliant speech on this topic.

clubs should be allowed the time to rebuild. and it should be up to the members of the club to speak up if they believe things can be run better.

otherwise id say its the committee's responsibility to call out clubs that arnt being managed properly and to begin a process to allow people with drive and hunger to take the reigns of a club..

i have faith in the furies ability to eventually bounce back.. The Filth Wizard gave a brilliant speech on this topic.

clubs should be allowed the time to rebuild. and it should be up to the members of the club to speak up if they believe things can be run better.

otherwise id say its the committee's responsibility to call out clubs that arnt being managed properly and to begin a process to allow people with drive and hunger to take the reigns of a club..
This is exactly what I'm saying should happen.

Moz - I dont believe either team should have a say in the decision, for obvious reasons and both clubs will refuse either option.

Certainly both clubs should have their say but ultimately this is a decision that should be made by the committee.

confused gordon ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen

Moz - I dont believe either team should have a say in the decision, for obvious reasons and both clubs will refuse either option.

Certainly both clubs should have their say but ultimately this is a decision that should be made by the committee.

confused gordon ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen's Kitchen
Calm down Rambo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you read it?

Yeah— I did. I made the decision to make a joke at you talking about Team 14 rather than highlighting your hypocrisy.

You complain that Tigerturbulance left the Furies in a bad way, yet you’ve left the Furies more recently than Turbo. Why didn’t you stay to help the club navigate this difficult time if it’s a bad as you claim.

Yeah— I did. I made the decision to make a joke at you talking about Team 14 rather than highlighting your hypocrisy.

You complain that Tigerturbulance left the Furies in a bad way, yet you’ve left the Furies more recently than Turbo. Why didn’t you stay to help the club navigate this difficult time if it’s a bad as you claim.
I only ever offered them half a season of service. I had other plans arranged at the the time I believed they were on the right path with kananooks to help lead their resurgence. Nooks decided to leave and that put them in a much worse position than loosing a player who was never committed to staying.

Cadsky didn't start an expansion bid with half their LG though...

Nice riff from my early post about the Swampies and Royals Cadsky Both Clubs are making good strides

It is disappointing you opted to leave the Furies and kananooks moved. That has not helped. Personally I think James Colorado is an impressive leader.but he has to bear the weight of Pickitt If I were at the Furies he would be out of the LG before he could dribble on his bib. On the bright side they have picked up Bovo who is a quality poster. I am optimistic they will make it.

Ditto the Drags who are pretty stable and possess a good leadership crew.

Hopefully Kennedy Parker and the Central Committee get their act together. People tend to respond positively to certainty even when they they don’t agree with silly decisions. The present shilly-shallying is harmful. Get on with it!

Cadsky didn't start an expansion bid with half their LG though...

The Furies had quite a generational divide when the Furies LG split. I think the Furies/Old Boys split is good for the Furies long term & the league as a whole.

The S33 Furies were one of the most creative groups of posters the league has ever seen, pushed by a younger cohort of posters. It’s a shame that some posters got nuked for poor behaviour privately, because they added something different to the league.

I think Pickitt , James Colorado & Co will be able to rebuild that image over the next season or two with the assistance of Dumbarse

Eh to be honest, should only be a discussion for when the teams have had a few bad seasons. Dragons leadership group is one of the more experienced (two 500xgamers, 1x300 gamer and 1x200 gamer), and while admittedly we should have started recruiting a bit earlier, I'm not too worried. We've lost the one player, not an exodus, and have a good group.

Would I have liked a few more things to click over the off-season? Of course. Am I concerned about the future of the Dragons? Absolutely not. Every team has these seasons from time to time. We'll bounce back.

Back