Let's talk Ports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. Very much hoping that Jasper can become our flying doormat.
I'm sure he hopes so too - if a female spectator at the grand final decides to bare all in close proximity to him, I'm sure he'll be smiling like a Cheshire cat :)

Was fortunate enough to attend the AFL Season Launch at Etihad this morning and get a photo with our representative for the day.

11081768_759082397540634_1040346465_n.jpg

Bruce Doull made the AFL team of the century. Jasper isnt in that league was the point I was getting at. I like Jasper taking on the game, even though he frustrates me with some of his clangers. I hope Jasper is a cult player for his positive impact on the team - not his clangers. There are still too many FFS Jasper moments at the footy and you hear her the crowd saying pretty much those 4 words.

As Hinkley said in that filmed pre game chat to several players before a game - think Brisbane last year that Fox Footy showed - "if you are defending well - I can put up with the other stuff." Remember, Jasper's principle role is to defend.

I reckon Jasper is a good defender and thought he did a good job on Walters in the 3rd and 4th quarters in the semi last year.Watched his defensive work at the semi final last year and I was impressed and it is never discussed anywhere,due to his clanger or 2 a game.

Has there really been a discussion about Pittard v Doull just because someone made an off the cuff comment about hairstyles?

Will this off-season ever end?

Was fortunate enough to attend the AFL Season Launch at Etihad this morning and get a photo with our representative for the day.

What was it like to get your photo taken with prime David Hutton, Brad?

Solid pick up there Tribey

Also didn't know he was Deane Hutton's son. Curiosity Show was legendary. What was the other dude's name with the weird beard?

Wasn't sure where to put this so I just decided on this thread. Is Dean Brogan the only Australian athlete to win a national championship/premiership in two separate sports? The only other person I can think of is Tadgh Kennelly winning an AFL premiership with Sydney in 2005 and a GAA championship with Kerry in 2009 but obviously Kennelly was Irish. Israel Folau did win the Super Rugby championship last year and was a part of the Melbourne Storm team that won the 2007 NRL premiership but that was later stripped so I don't know if that counts. There probably has been other league/union players that have won national titles in the two forms of rugby but the games are so similar that it's not as impressive as Brogan's feat of basketball and Aussie rules. Back in the day I'm sure players won titles in football and cricket but let's try to keep this to the professional era where you focus all your attention on one sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't sure where to put this so I just decided on this thread. Is Dean Brogan the only Australian athlete to win a national championship/premiership in two separate sports? The only other person I can think of is Tadgh Kennelly winning an AFL premiership with Sydney in 2005 and a GAA championship with Kerry in 2009 but obviously Kennelly was Irish. Israel Folau did win the Super Rugby championship last year and was a part of the Melbourne Storm team that won the 2007 NRL premiership but that was later stripped so I don't know if that counts. There probably has been other league/union players that have won national titles in the two forms of rugby but the games are so similar that it's not as impressive as Brogan's feat of basketball and Aussie rules. Back in the day I'm sure players won titles in football and cricket but let's try to keep this to the professional era where you focus all your attention on one sport.
Tbere was a similar question to this on the main board within the last 12 months asking about someone world wide doing this to any 2 sports. I cant recall any other AFL player winning a national title. I knew a Canadian who won an NHL Stanely Cup and also a Canadian Football League national championship. Dug around and found another one but that was a long time ago. Will dig up the thread.

Tbere was a similar question to this on the main board within the last 12 months asking about someone world wide doing this to any 2 sports. I cant recall any other AFL player winning a national title. I knew a Canadian who won an NHL Stanely Cup and also a Canadian Football League national championship. Dug around and found another one but that was a long time ago. Will dig up the thread.
Cheers mate. Tag me when you find it.

There might have been some old timers who have won Sheffield Shields and state league footy/rugby union/rugby league/petanque championships as well.

There might have been some old timers who have won Sheffield Shields and state league footy/rugby union/rugby league/petanque championships as well.

Near the back of every year's AFL Record Season Guide there is a couple of pages devoted to V/AFL footballers who have played other sports, gone to the Olympics etc. I will look it up tonight. Brogan as far as I know is the only one since say 1987 and 1988 when the 2 big football codes went national. Cricketers who have played football - only Australian football, at the various levels and splits them into 4 categories, see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_rules_footballers_and_cricketers

1 International cricketers who played interstate football
2 International cricketers who played league football
3 State cricketers who played interstate football
4 First-class cricketers who played league football

and here is the list of Sheffield shield winners
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Shield#Competition_placings

Last edited:
I have won the Stanley Cup, Ashes, AFL Premiership, Superbowl, Champions Leauge, NBA Championship and an EPL Title. All thanks to my trusty Playstation and Laptop.

I'm awesome

Cheers mate. Tag me when you find it.

This is the thread - its about AFL footballers and basketballers.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/afl-players-with-basketball-backgrounds.1081380/

Then a question was asked about dual sports national champions in any sports, actually it was Port board member _VXV who made a statement/aked -
"I'm willing to be wrong on this, but is Brogan the only male to have won national championships in two sports in the world? Sure I remember reading this back in 2004?" and here is my post about the 2 Canadians who both won the CFL's Grey Cup in the 1920's - different years and different teams, and then both won NHL's Stanley Cup in the 1930's once again different years and different teams.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...ball-backgrounds.1081380/page-3#post-36014810

Also as I posted in that thread - I reckon there might be an Irishman or two who might have won an All Ireland Gaelic Football title as well as an All Ireland Hurling title.

This is the thread - its about AFL footballers and basketballers.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/afl-players-with-basketball-backgrounds.1081380/

Then a question was asked about dual sports national champions in any sports, actually it was Port board member _VXV who made a statement/aked -
"I'm willing to be wrong on this, but is Brogan the only male to have won national championships in two sports in the world? Sure I remember reading this back in 2004?" and here is my post about the 2 Canadians who both won the CFL's Grey Cup in the 1920's - different years and different teams, and then both won NHL's Stanley Cup in the 1930's once again different years and different teams.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...ball-backgrounds.1081380/page-3#post-36014810

Also as I posted in that thread - I reckon there might be an Irishman or two who might have won an All Ireland Gaelic Football title as well as an All Ireland Hurling title.
You would think the transition between Hurling and Gaelic Football wouldn't be that uncommon given it all falls under the banner of the GAA games and the exact same clubs compete in the two leagues. I think there have also been some Gaelic Footballers to convert to soccer and rugby so that's another possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back