Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Drafted with pick number 28 in the 2013 National Draft

293197-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Height: 173 cms
Club: Geelong Falcons

Posted in the draft thread as well but this article by Emma Quayle is worth a read - it says a lot about the character of the guy. Its hard to see he wont jump at this chance and grab it with both hands.

Welcome aboard Lewis. Its bloody great to have you here. Good luck... you're at a club where hard work will be rewarded and respect from players and supporters alike given genuinely.

Go get em mate.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/with-a-little-help-from-his-friends-20131118-2xr7f.html

Despite dark times, Lewis Taylor never lost his way
19 November 2013
Emma Quayle

The trip took a little under two hours, and Lewis Taylor made it two or three times each week. Every Tuesday he would finish work on the farm just after lunch, jump in his car and take off: past Camperdown, through Colac and the Winchelsea roadworks into the Geelong suburbs, just in time to get changed, train, eat, turn around and head home in the dark to Mortlake.

On Thursday afternoons he would catch the team bus and on game day he would fill the car with petrol and do it all again. Either way he saw a lot of that road last season. ''Bloody oath I did,'' he said, smiling. ''I hated that road by the end of it. But that's all right. If that's what you've gotta do, that's what you've gotta do.''

People use words like fast, frantic and frenzied to describe the way Taylor plays football. He gives his team energy and fits into any group of people easily, and enthusiastically. He's the same way between games too, but when they're talking about what he's like off the field, people prefer to use different terms.

''He's independent and he's a resilient sort of kid,'' said Mick Turner, manager of Taylor's Geelong Falcons team. ''He's self-motivated, Lewy. He looks after himself. ''He's done that for a while. Taylor has lived in Mortlake for five or six years now, since he was finishing primary school. But before then it felt like he was moving, all the time: he and his younger brother have spent time in Hamilton, Timboon, Casterton, Mt Gambier and ''at least two more places, maybe three. So it was hard. But then again it got me used to meeting people and making friends. I can't really complain.''

''Talking to some of the recruiters, they've asked how I'd handle moving away from home, and that's no problem. It wouldn't worry me as much as some other kids, and I reckon I'm ready fo it.''
Dan-20131118185958385954-620x349.jpg

Bloody interesting read and insight into a young man that has been through the ringer, yet with hard work has made the AFL and unlike the sooks that ran back home, seems like a bloody resilient kid. Well done Lewis and welcome to the pride!

Sounds very much like the atypical zone Lions recruit from the old Fitzroy zone.

Do you know much about this young lad western royboy?

Geelong Falcon's drafting a steal for Brisbane Lions
November 21, 2013
Michael Auciello

“Lewy was probably one we probably didn’t plan for, we didn’t expect him to be there, you don’t expect a player that talented to be sitting around that late in the draft so we really snaffled him up, so that was a great surprise for us.”

Taylor, who was at the Gold Coast Convention Centre for the draft, said he was nervous at the wait for his name to be called out was delayed.

“There was a bit of nerves there, I was nervous the whole day but I’ve always said there are no guarantees so I was just taking it as it comes and to hear my name out was great,” Taylor said.

“Obviously I’m grateful for the opportunity they’ve given me so it’s time to put my head down and bum up and work hard get to know the boys and that sort of thing.

“Obviously having Darcy up there makes it that much easier so I was just stoked.

820106-lewis-taylor.jpg

Knightmare's phantom draft
#17 Fremantle – Lewis Taylor (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 173cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 17/02/1995
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Style: Brent Harvey
Player comparison:
Range: 11-25
Profile: Taylor is a small midfielder with crazy explosive pace and the ability to break away from contests, break the lines and use his agility to sidestep around opponents effortlessly. He captained Vic Country through the u18 champs. Athletically Taylor has a real burst of speed and even better agility and evasiveness as someone who will just run around you and never get caught with the footy. He can win his own footy as well as find plenty of it outside the contest and in the u18s is a big time accumulator. Excellent user of the footy on both sides and has the ability to do damage both through the midfield and up forward with his footskills finding targets with his vision and decision making excellent but also finishing around goal. Just a shame he isn’t 10cm taller. The only issue I have with Taylor’s height is in his tackling game, he doesn’t provide enough tackling pressure and when he does he’s not strong enough to make those tackles stick.

Quigley's phantom draft
42 Western Bulldogs

Okay time to let Taylor out of the naughty corner. Yes he is going to be gone well before here but I don’t like him at all and think his weaknesses are being blindly overlooked by many. Still the Bulldogs have built a very strong inside unit and if Taylor could be taught to play to his strengths and minimise his weaknesses he would complement the current group very nicely.

Lewis Taylor
DOB 17/2/95 Ht 175 Wt 73

Anyone who has been reading along has probably assumed that I forgot about Taylor. No I have not forgotten about him it’s just that I do not rate him at all and, if they are reading this, Lewis and his family probably do not want to read any further on this one. Every year there are one or two high ranking guys who I am more than happy for other teams to take in the first round. This year Taylor is that man and my dislike is more than anyone I can remember. Personally I would be disappointed if the Lions took him anywhere in this draft.

Let's to the good first. He has excellent speed and has the endurance to use that speed often. He is capable of hitting packs and exploding out the other side. His speed is a weapon that he likes to use...entirely too much really but more on that later. To go with excellent speed he also has very good agility and he can be very difficult to tackle when he has some room to work in. He can occasionally not be as elusive as he thinks he is but on the whole even I have to conclude that his evasiveness is very good.

The other thing I give him credit for is his ability to find the ball. He is probably the biggest ball magnet in this draft. He spreads really well and gets to space and demands to be used. He is a predominately an outside player and receiver at contests but when push comes to shove he can go in and get it himself. His inside work is not at the same standard as the better inside players available but he is capable of winning his own ball.

Okay my problems with him. First up his running drives me insane. As a Brisbane supporter I think he is a clone of Justin Sherman the way he runs himself trouble time after time after time. He takes off at full pace and has very poor awareness of what is around him and when he should get rid of it. He constantly holds the ball too long and ends up panicking. He has a frenetic style (like a chicken with his head cut off as I described his style in my notes) where he tries to do too much and gets himself into trouble. As mentioned above he spreads very well and runs to space but often he does not run to the best spots and he demands and receives the ball in places where trouble is going to come his way.

At the Champs he was corralled, tackled and scragged constantly when he ran himself into trouble. With the increased size, strength, pace and smarts at AFL level he is going to get smashed unless he learns where to run and I am not sure he has the instincts and that has to be a big concerns. He is a very elusive character and avoids tackles well when he is cornered but at AFL level they will not miss these tackles and there are going to be quite a few people as quick as he is. Another thing which is going to frustrate the supporters of the team who picks him is the suicide handballs he delivers when it looks like he is cornered. He gets himself into trouble and then gets rid of the ball to players who are flat footed and have an opposition player sitting in their back pocket. Again the panic seems pretty ingrained and it will be a difficult for his coaches to break.

He has a reputation for being an excellent kick and again I just do not see it. He has pretty good style off either foot but he misses too many targets and often not by small margins. That is particularly the case off his non-preferred left. His kicking looks good and he will deliver some good kicks during games but he will give 3 or 4 clangers per game and quite a few others that result in turnovers. He particularly struggles under pressure whether physical or situational. He is decent around goal but is poor in his delivery into 50.

Defensively he has the speed and endurance to impact games but at the moment he does not have the application. This is not such an unusual thing at under 18 level but for a small kid who is looking to break into the AFL I would expect better. When he does make a tackle his technique leaves a lot to be desired and he lacks strength to effect big hits. He also has the shortest arms of anyone measured at camp which does not help him wrap up opposition players.

When I have seen him look good it is often when he takes the first option or uses the ball when in space. It is going to need to be drummed into him that he needs to use the first and best option and he is not going to be able to run the length of the field and kick the goal. There is hope but there is going to be a lot of pain along the way to overcome engrained habits. I think the defensive work should be the easiest to acquire given it is largely about desire and I see him starting his career up forward. He is okay around goals and he should be able to provide good pressure.

Taylor was Shifter's TAC player of the year and he did well in that competition. The standard in the TAC was fairly poor this year and playing against inferior athletes his deficiencies were not evident but they were well and truly shown up at the Champs and I think they will be stark at AFL level. He will be quicker than most but he will not have the same level of advantage as he enjoyed at TAC level and the size, endurance and discipline of AFL players are going to see him struggle I think.

Chris25's phantom draft
19. St Kilda - Lewis Taylor (173cm, 73kg midfielder - Geelong)

It seems that every year now, there is one player under the 175cm mark who is pushing for top top selection. And generally, it's said that the only reason they aren't a top three selection is because of their height. We've seen Prestia and Smith, and this year that player is Lewis Taylor. Taylor shares quite a few traits with both of those players. Athletically, he is very good - both in terms of speed and agility. Maybe he wont test in the absolutely top bracket, but he seems to play quicker - and a large reason for that, is because he knows where to run and can hit the holes. As I've said elsewhere, I consider him a mix of Brent Harvey's outside run and Dion Prestia's inside wrecking ball style of player. Taylor will consistently win 25+ disposals, and is solid with his use of the ball. I could see him starting his career across half forward before making the permanent move into the midfield, because while he isn't the most natural crumber he can bob up for goals and should provide good defensive pressure. It seems as though supporters don't like the prospect of drafting such a small player in the first round, but they'll quickly change their opinion once he starts playing.

Footy Tragic's power rankings
#42 – LEWIS TAYLOR
Height: 175cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 17/2/1995
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons

This one will probably raise a few eyebrows as well, but I just can’t buy in.

I don’t have a vendetta against small players but very rarely are they successful unless they are absolutely outstanding in a few key areas. You’ll see I don’t really rate Billy Hartung either and I’ve continually scratched my head at both of these players being compared to Brent Harvey all season. Why? Just because they’re small and quick? Brent Harvey is a once in a generation player who has outstanding football IQ, has amazing goal sense and runs to the right spots. I see nothing in the comparisons and they’re almost an insult to Boomer because it’s pretty much saying he’s just ‘small and quick’.

Now you watch Lewis Taylor play 400 AFL games (I hope he does).

In terms of his playing ability, there is no doubting Taylor’s ball-winning ability. He runs really hard to receive the ball and often gets the one-twos to boost the stats but it is good reward for running. Most of his possessions come from handball receives; he averaged 17.1 a game for the Falcons. My problem is how else he will get the ball given his size and getting more attention in the AFL.

His speed is really electric and combining that with good endurance makes for a good mix.

Now for the bad.

To be totally honest I didn’t see anyone go near Taylor all season. He had things his own way and every time he touched the ball there’d be at least another handball in that chain. He stands behind the contest a lot and will always get the outlet handball or kick. Am I saying he gets cheap disposals? Yes. Lots of AFL players do, I’m cool with it, but let’s not just judge Taylor on his possession counts because he got away with a lot both this season and last season.

When he gets the ball it reminds me a lot of when David Rodan gets it. The ball goes in swings and round abouts for about 15 seconds but actually gains nothing. If you really pressure Taylor he will give it up and he’ll get a lot of that in the AFL. He also has this habit of calling for the ball at ALL TIMES. It would not matter if Ryan Crowley is tagging his jumper, he would still run around for the handball receive. He just creates trouble sometimes and it drives me insane.

I also think his disposal is overrated for the reason that a lot of them are out the back and I also have trouble trusting junior and state league efficiency stats. I don’t see anything damaging with his kicking and it seems like it takes a bit of effort for him to really give it a roost, which is understandable given his size, but it doesn’t help his AFL prospects. His short kicking game looks fine but he can shank it like the best of them sometimes, especially under pressure.

If you’re that tiny you have to be able to have some ability to play forward. Taylor hasn’t given any indication that he’ll be a dangerous forward at the top level, kicking just three goals for the season (TAC and Champs combined).

I know I’m really drumming it in, but it’s the last one I promise. His defensive work leaves a lot to be desired and you don’t see a lot of small players in the AFL that don’t have a defensive game or at least the capability or desire to lay a tackle. Taylor’s tackling technique is awkward. This may sound ridiculous but he had the shortest arms at the Combine by a fair margin and you can tell. He struggles to wrap an opponent. You can sort of accept that, but at least show some desire to harass and corral. I question the desire and it is frustrating to watch because there is no chance in hell that he will make it in the AFL playing the way he does.

Snoop Dog's phantom draft
# 16 Geelong
Lewis Taylor - Geelong Falcons / 174cm / 73kg / ’95
One of my real favourites from the talent pool and has genuine x factor. Been compared by everyone that has seen him to Harvey from the Roos and it is a perfect comparison. Explosive speed and can play in the middle or fwd or back. Suspect he will start as a small fwd and then as his motor improves will push up into the middle. Has been an elite performer at every level to date and I cant see it changing. Has all the tools, agility, lateral movement speed, is a great decision maker, elite ball user and a really competitive kid. Clubs will think about the height but I think every club would have spent a RD 1 pick on Harvey with the benefit of hindsight and this kid is every bit as good.

Why and who else: Look someone from the above is probably going to fall and Cats would be happy with any of them and I think there is a massive chance it will be Taylor Unbelievable given on talent he is top 10. I could see Acres, Jones, Gardiner, Dumont, Cripps etc all being types they like rate but I think Taylor will get to here.

Offsider's phantom draft
Pick 18: Saint Kilda – Lewis Taylor
Height: 174cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 12/02/1995
Club: Geelong Falcons (Vic Country)

Saint Kilda could use a taller inside mid but they should not risk giving up on better talent. Lewis Taylor gives the Saints another classy young midfielder, he has a fair bit of talent and resembles a shorter Jack Stevens with his speed and ability to find the ball. His form this year has been excellent both at TAC cup level and in the U18 champs he was duly rewarded for his excellent play with All Australian selection. Although he is short I think that Lewis Taylor has a ton of talent and will make a decent AFL player with his skill set. He will probably start as a crumbing forward (although I do have doubts here) with stints in the midfield whilst he builds his fitness and endurance but he should move into the midfield pretty quickly.

Strengths
  • Athleticism – Lewis Taylor is quick, but not elite, he is excellent not only over the first 5m but seems to have the ability to sustain this pace. This allows him to run with the ball well and break lines. With his initial speed, as well as excellent agility Taylor is good at bursting through stoppages and is really damaging. Endurance wise I would say that he is well above average as he runs the lines well and consistently gets to contests.
  • X-Factor – Lewis has some excellent tricks and has some serious excitement to his game. He plays with a high energy and can really break lines.
  • Footy Smarts – Lewis has excellent footy smarts and just knows where to find the ball and how to use it effectively. At the Champs he averaged over 24 disposals, and at TAC cup level this year he has averaged over 31 disposals which is a testament to his ball winning ability and consistency. His decision making is also excellent and is evident is his great ball use.
  • Inside/outside ability – Lewis has a very well rounded game, he is pretty good with his clearance work and great at bursting through stoppages and packs. I do have concerns over how this will translate to AFL level given his size, or lack there of. On the outside Lewis runs to space very well and can break the lines with his speed and ability to have multiple possessions in a chain.
Weaknesses/Areas of Improvement
  • Height/Size – it is obvious, but it is still a concern given that he is 174cm and he can occasionally get pushed around on the inside. I think the key will be to develop a strong body, and as he will be more an outside runner/half forward type this is not a huge concern for me.
  • Goal Kicking – His goal kicking has been down a little this year, mainly as he has been playing higher up the ground. Lewis showed last year that he can be dangerous around goals and is constant threat with his ability to crumb and find space. It would make him an even more dangerous prospect if he can consistently push forward as he did last year and regain his goal kicking form again.
  • Skill – He has a solid skill level and is probably an above average kick, but he just makes poor decisions on occasions, and can stuff up simple passes. I would call his kicking neat, he is not a huge powerful kick seems to have the ability to be a good kick, he just needs to pay more attention and execute better. Additionally Taylor is good by hand, and uses it effectively with the 1-2’s.
  • Marking – At his height Taylor’s marking is pretty average, don’t bomb it high to him! Pretty self-explanatory.
  • Tackling/defensive pressure – Lewis is not the best defensive player and can be caught out with his defensive pressure and his two way running.

So having read those mocks, it begs the question; is he more Shaun Hart or Steve Kenna?

I was quite excited about Leiws prior to reading those mock descriptions, now I am a little concerned.

I suspect Quigley may not be overly happy with how the Lions drafted.

Pick 28: Lewis Taylor

SummaryPowerful and quick, Taylor elevated himself into high-end draft contention with a superb NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. The Vic Country captain averaged 25 disposals while operating at 78 per cent disposal efficiency rate throughout the Championships; an effort which saw him claim All Australian honours. At only 173cm, he has drawn comparisons with Roo Brent Harvey with his ability to cut sides up throughout the middle of the ground with his pace and elite endurance. Missed the Geelong Falcons' finals campaign and the NAB AFL Draft Combine with a stress fracture in his foot, but many predict he has already done enough to see him selected inside the top 10.

2013 stats• Played 3 games and kicked 1 goal for VIC Country (U18 Championships)
- averaged 13 kicks, 12 handballs and 3 marks

• Played 10 games and kicked 2 goals for Geelong Falcons (TAC Cup)
- averaged 18 kicks, 14 handballs and 6 marks

Player comparisonJack Steen (StK)

I assume they meant Jack Steven, because I have no clue who Jack Steen is.

Posted in the draft thread as well but this article by Emma Quayle is worth a read - it says a lot about the character of the guy. Its hard to see he wont jump at this chance and grab it with both hands.

Welcome aboard Lewis. Its bloody great to have you here. Good luck... you're at a club where hard work will be rewarded and respect from players and supporters alike given genuinely.

Go get em mate.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/with-a-little-help-from-his-friends-20131118-2xr7f.html

Geez, Emma Quayle is a special journalist isn't she? You really get a sense of Taylor's personality in that article.

I think there is a fair chance if he remains injury free and has a good pre season that he will play quite a few games next year. I predict he will play the most out of all of our 2013 draftees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few phantoms had him sticking around until Fremantle's first pick, and despite us constantly going for a 6'3" engine room, I wouldn't have minded grabbing this guy.

I think you've done well. I can't see him leaving the Lions. That article about him just made me like the kid a lot, really independent and really strong. It sounds like he's had a pretty tough life so I do feel sorry for him, but he's about to live his dream and he looks like a footballer you just can't hate: hard at it, skilled, a football brain... your footballer's footballer.

Loved the bit in his article about getting Foxtel installed especially for the draft. That and the innocuous "nothing like this [getting drafted] has happened in our family before, so I'll be pretty proud" just carried something that made me like him.

Looking forward to watching the young punk have a kick. Reckon you've got yourself a 200 gamer.

Can't help but think of Ballantyne when I look at him.

The obvious comparison.

Despite Ballantyne's "annoying little s**t" tag, he's the sort of player you hate as an opponent but adore if he's on your side.

If LT is nearly as good as Ballantyne but only half as annoying, I'll be happy with this selection.

Actually, I really want this guy to succeed.

GO LT!!:thumbsu:

the kids got pig in him! we so need that !! welcome lewis , come on quigley black will give him some silk

got a feeling this boy will get you round to changing your opinion

Despite dark times, Lewis Taylor never lost his way
19 November 2013
Emma Quayle

Bloody interesting read and insight into a young man that has been through the ringer, yet with hard work has made the AFL and unlike the sooks that ran back home, seems like a bloody resilient kid. Well done Lewis and welcome to the pride!

Sounds very much like the atypical zone Lions recruit from the old Fitzroy zone.

Do you know much about this young lad western royboy?

It's word for word what Emma wrote - I actually e-mailed her to congratulate her on the article it captured everything.

As I posted earlier - this kid has beaten the odds to get where he is and he will not stop there. Blokes have tried belting him and he keeps on getting up - he's very quick between the ears on the footy field.

I am super pumped that we have got him - he's definately a country lad and by JB hanging on a year will be of immense assistance to him.

Really excited.

Pick 2: Lewis Taylor

Player comparison
Jack Steven (StK)

What they say
“He's independent and he's a resilient sort of kid. He's self-motivated, Lewy. He looks after himself.” – Geelong Falcons Manager, Michael Turner.

“Talking to some of the recruiters, they've asked how I'd handle moving away from home, and that's no problem. It wouldn't worry me as much as some other kids, and I reckon I'm ready for it.” – Lewis Taylor

“Forget about Taylor's size and look at the things he can do, like control a game on his terms. One of the best-performed midfielders in the pool and a combative, competitive footballer.” – AFL.com.au draft expert, Callum Twomey.

So he's from Mortlake then?

He and Browny can have long discussions about whether the Hamilton Highway is better than the Princes Highway.

Hamilton wins everytime - prior to the installation of the ring roads I had a patented "back roads" map that ensured no traffic lights between Warrnambool and Melbourne

As someone who has not seen him play, I'm having great difficulty reconciling Quigley's observation that "the standard in the TAC was fairly poor this year and playing against inferior athletes his deficiencies were not evident but they were well and truly shown up at the Champs" with his average at the Championships of 25 possessions at 78% efficiency which several other observers have described as a superb effort. Also, the stats say nothing about the man and from what I have read, admittedly mainly over the last 24 to 48 hours, he has many admirable qualities that I would have thought we would be glad to have at the Lions given the calibre of recent departees.

As someone who has not seen him play, I'm having great difficulty reconciling Quigley's observation that "the standard in the TAC was fairly poor this year and playing against inferior athletes his deficiencies were not evident but they were well and truly shown up at the Champs" with his average at the Championships of 25 possessions at 78% efficiency which several other observers have described as a superb effort. Also, the stats say nothing about the man and from what I have read, admittedly mainly over the last 24 to 48 hours, he has many admirable qualities that I would have thought we would be glad to have at the Lions given the calibre of recent departees.

The Country MVP each averaged about 7 or 8 disposals per game less than he did and it wasn't because they were superb users of the ball (they certainly weren't) it was because of the problems Lewis created. I really do hope I am being overly harsh with him but it is important to recognise that there are some very real issues with his game that need to be addressed.

From Quigley's Phantom Draft:

"As a Brisbane supporter I think he is a clone of Justin Sherman the way he runs himself into trouble time after time after time"

I can understand his concern, but surely the Lions have developed a vaccine for this after suffering Shermo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back