Player Watch Liam McMahon (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

He was one of ten players drafted in 2020 ( including the 2021 midseason draft) . That’s almost a quarter of our list turned over due to our salary cap debacle.

That’s an lot of darts to throw at the dartboard. Some are going to miss, especially as it was a blind draft to some extent with no junior football in 2020.

That said I’m surprised they have moved him on after only two years, one of them vfl restricted….at a time when we are lacking talls. Club knows best of course but it seems harsh.

Especially since they effectively traded away pick 2 2021 for McMahon and Poulter... I think Poulter will be gone in the next 12 months. I reckon Finn Callahan will be starting to cement role in the GWS team next year.

Especially since they effectively traded away pick 2 2021 for McMahon and Poulter... I think Poulter will be gone in the next 12 months. I reckon Finn Callahan will be starting to cement role in the GWS team next year.

Can’t get them all right…..weight of numbers at that draft is what we needed. It’s not as if pick 2 was ever going to be used at the draft, or i that we knew we,d drop to 17th in what clearly was a anomaly year. Poulter May well be used in a trade for Frampton in which case his trade value will mitigate the loss.

We’ve still potentially reaped a goldmine from that draft with Ginnivan mccreery and Johnson, with macrae and henry banging the door down , McInnes ( arguably the most hyped of the lot at the time) back next year after injury and Begg developing well.

Can’t get them all right…..weight of numbers at that draft is what we needed. It’s not as if pick 2 was ever going to be used at the draft, or i that we knew we,d drop to 17th in what clearly was a anomaly year. Poulter May well be used in a trade for Frampton in which case his trade value will mitigate the loss.

We’ve still potentially reaped a goldmine from that draft with Ginnivan mccreery and Johnson, with macrae and henry banging the door down , McInnes ( arguably the most hyped of the lot at the time) back next year after injury and Begg developing well.

Yep, you can't get them all right, but you need to get as many right in the first round as possible to build success. Our recent history with first round picks has been atrocious (including those that we traded away), and it is almost never the right move to trade away a first rounder for two mid level picks, regardless of whether it was pick 2 or pick 10.

I think we all saw that that was a horrible trade as soon as it was done. I don't agree that we needed weight of numbers - what we needed (and still do) is quality, and we shouldn't be trading quality for quantity as we just end up throwing the quantity in the bin (e.g. McMahon, maybe Poulter).

Yep, you can't get them all right, but you need to get as many right in the first round as possible to build success. Our recent history with first round picks has been atrocious (including those that we traded away), and it is almost never the right move to trade away a first rounder for two mid level picks, regardless of whether it was pick 2 or pick 10.

I think we all saw that that was a horrible trade as soon as it was done. I don't agree that we needed weight of numbers - what we needed (and still do) is quality, and we shouldn't be trading quality for quantity as we just end up throwing the quantity in the bin (e.g. McMahon, maybe Poulter).
I'd be really interested to see the recent history of when a team traded away a top ten pick, and what was the return. I would be pretty confident that it would be higher than the picks we got that we used on McMahon and Poulter.

I dunno about goldmines but what gives me cause for optimism on McIness is that he was part of our NGA. We would have had a lot to do with him before drafting, and gone into that draft and subsequent bid matching process with eyes wide open, much like with Quaynor which panned out well.

Given the clean out we had, I think throwing as many darts at the board as possible was the right move..

I have no issues with trading a pick that would have been burned on Daicos points anyway to help fast track the mini rebuild that was forced on us by the salary cap debacle.

The best pick from that draft was a rookie pick anyway. So you never know where your talent is going to come from. Along with Ginni and mccreery there’s still high hopes for early picks henry, McInnes and macrae. That’s a good haul and a 50 percent success rate if they all come on….we have only just finished year two.

I'd be really interested to see the recent history of when a team traded away a top ten pick, and what was the return. I would be pretty confident that it would be higher than the picks we got that we used on McMahon and Poulter.

It’s generally accepted that the trade period was a disaster/ fire sale. Doesn't mean that conceptually at least it wasn’t the right move. Nobody forecast us to finish 17th the next year and five picks in the top 31 was a satisfactory outcome out of that s**t show.

With list reduced list sizes weight of numbers isn’t the way to go anymore.

I said at the time.

It was a unique situation as we had to clear out a lot of salary overheads in a hurry. It wasnt just Treloar. It was Beams Broomhead Dunn Langdon Phillips Reid Scharenberg Stephenson Treloar Varcoe and Wills who were all replaced by players on base wages. Even after all that we are carrying residual cap issues to this day.

And with no vfl or nab cup to base assessments on , and no first round picks, the only saving grace was to have a lot of picks with the hope of getting some right. We are on target for 50 percent which is not a baD outcome given the circumstances.

Still blows my mind how we didn't give McMahon another year. I watched most of the VFL this year and he out played Kelly most of the time. Callum Brown was given 6 years and Wilson has been on our list for 3 or 4. Not only was he tall but he was athletic and used to rebound out of our defensive 50. SDK did not play that well in the VFL last year especially as he was being played as a ruck/fwd. Why wouldn't you give McMahon one more preseason and see how he goes at either end. I hope he at least gets to train with the group this preseason.

Edit: McMahon was also surprisingly tough and used to show genuine disappointment when he lost one on ones, which I never really saw for Wilson and Kelly. But also there are other reasons to be delisted as well, looking at Liam Stocker.

Last edited:
Edit: McMahon was also surprisingly tough and used to show genuine disappointment when he lost one on ones, which I never really saw for Wilson and Kelly.

I agree and would be very surprised if it is anything attitude based. I have some knowledge of Liam (family friend of his other half) and from my experience he's a great kid . I think there's been plenty of anxiety around this exact scenario playing out and after COVID etc....affecting the landscape it's a tough call.

I can explain it away given who we have coming in...........they possibly need the list space and can't afford a project player who still needs plenty of bulking up. The only thing that doesn't explain is what Fly sees in Kelly other than perhaps he IS turning into a big unit and has also had a lot go against him with injury/COVID.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree and would be very surprised if it is anything attitude based. I have some knowledge of Liam (family friend of his other half) and from my experience he's a great kid . I think there's been plenty of anxiety around this exact scenario playing out and after COVID etc....affecting the landscape it's a tough call.

I can explain it away given who we have coming in...........they possibly need the list space and can't afford a project player who still needs plenty of bulking up. The only thing that doesn't explain is what Fly sees in Kelly other than perhaps he IS turning into a big unit and has also had a lot go against him with injury/COVID.

Agree with this… but for mine you cut madgen before cutting Kelly or McMahon

… especially considering they aren’t even playing madgen back anymore and have mature age KPP replacements in mcstay and Frampton about to arrive

For mine the arrival of those two buys Kelly and especially McMahon some further time to develop 🤷‍♂️

Agree with this… but for mine you cut madgen before cutting Kelly or McMahon

… especially considering they aren’t even playing madgen back anymore and have mature age KPP replacements in mcstay and Frampton about to arrive

For mine the arrival of those two buys Kelly and especially McMahon some further time to develop 🤷‍♂️
Couldn't agree more, looked an absolute piece

I said at the time.

It was a unique situation as we had to clear out a lot of salary overheads in a hurry. It wasnt just Treloar. It was Beams Broomhead Dunn Langdon Phillips Reid Scharenberg Stephenson Treloar Varcoe and Wills who were all replaced by players on base wages. Even after all that we are carrying residual cap issues to this day.

And with no vfl or nab cup to base assessments on , and no first round picks, the only saving grace was to have a lot of picks with the hope of getting some right. We are on target for 50 percent which is not a baD outcome given the circumstances.
I’m fairly at the time the list sizes were already that small or at least clubs knew they were going to get smaller.

It was also a unique situation because our football department over extending and we’re on the last legs, that was just their desperate attempt to save their arses.

Your last paragraph is exactly why we shouldn’t have overcommitted to that draft.

I’m fairly at the time the list sizes were already that small or at least clubs knew they were going to get smaller.

It was also a unique situation because our football department over extending and we’re on the last legs, that was just their desperate attempt to save their arses.

Your last paragraph is exactly why we shouldn’t have overcommitted to that draft.

We still went into the 2021 season draft with two vacancies, allowing two live picks in the MSD.

In hindsight we could have kept our 2021 future pick (to trade later) and instead drafted two players with picks in the 70,s rather than poulter and McMahon. But it’s nothing to stress over too much.

We still went into the 2021 season draft with two vacancies, allowing two live picks in the MSD.

In hindsight we could have kept our 2021 future pick (to trade later) and instead drafted two players with picks in the 70,s rather than poulter and McMahon. But it’s nothing to stress over too much.
Could have taken taken Ginnivan and Chugg in the National draft instead of the rookie and taken advantage of the pre season supplement selection period allowing us to asses players before adding them on the list.

We lost pick 2 for two players were going to get rid of after their first contract. It’s a pretty poor result. What done is done so you have to accept that result but it’s definitely worth stressing about.

Could have taken taken Ginnivan and Chugg in the National draft instead of the rookie and taken advantage of the pre season supplement selection period allowing us to asses players before adding them on the list.

We lost pick 2 for two players were going to get rid of after their first contract. It’s a pretty poor result. What done is done so you have to accept that result but it’s definitely worth stressing about.

Weve just delisted Chugg so don’t understand the coulda shoulda put him on th3 senior list argument..….at least we were only paying him rookie wages.

Have you actually looked at the players taken in that selection period? Who exactly have we missed out on? They are all nobodies with the exception of mccartin who has his own unique story. We smartly waited for the mid season draft.

Weve just delisted Chugg so don’t understand the coulda shoulda put him on th3 senior list argument..….at least we were only paying him rookie wages.

Have you actually looked at the players taken in that selection period? Who exactly have we missed out on? They are all nobodies with the exception of mccartin who has his own unique story. We smartly waited for the mid season draft.
Chugg would have be delisted anyways but atleast we’re not giving up pick two for him like McMahon so still a better result.

Never claimed that we missed out on anyone from that period the main plus to picking up someone from there is you don’t have to give them a 2 year contract.

Chugg would have be delisted anyways but atleast we’re not giving up pick two for him like McMahon so still a better result.

Never claimed that we missed out on anyone from that period the main plus to picking up someone from there is you don’t have to give them a 2 year contract.

Then if we haven’t missed out on any opportunities from the path we took then I don’t see your point.

Pick 2 was always going to be moved on as it would have been used up on Daicos. We could only trade it for picks as salary cap precluded us trading for players of top ten calibre. We didn’t know it was pick two at the time anyway. Maybe if we’d waited a year we could have got better value trading it last season… but it likely still would have been for lower picks.

Very similar to the Mclarty draft. Pick a KPP that’s not a F/S and delist him just as he’s showing some level of competency.

McLarty was just a bad choice…. Period. McMahon is very stiff but the club rightly or wrongly sees him behind others either at the club ( Begg Kelly Dean) or about to join ( mcstay frampton).

Then if we haven’t missed out on any opportunities from the path we took then I don’t see your point.

Pick 2 was always going to be moved on as it would have been used up on Daicos. We could only trade it for picks as salary cap precluded us trading for players of top ten calibre. We didn’t know it was pick two at the time anyway. Maybe if we’d waited a year we could have got better value trading it last season… but it likely still would have been for lower picks.
Point is we didn’t capitalise on the currency we had in pick 2.

Trading it’s for future picks and shorting up points for Daicos would have been a much better result.

Given how crap our off season was losing three best 22 players and not replacing it wasn’t hard to predict a fall off the ladder.

Point is we didn’t capitalise on the currency we had in pick 2.

Trading it’s for future picks and shorting up points for Daicos would have been a much better result.

Given how crap our off season was losing three best 22 players and not replacing it wasn’t hard to predict a fall off the ladder.

We didn’t know it was pick 2 though as much as you with the benefit of hindsight think it was obvious.

I’d also question whether any of Treloar Stephenson of Phillips were such great losses that would send us so rapidly to second bottom.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back