Free Agency Liam Stocker - signed by St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

At just 20yo that season as well. They were draft eligible a year earlier back then.

Here is their stat comparison at 21yo:

View attachment 1315610
Brownlow votes:
Hodge: 15
Stocker: 0

B&F finishes:
Hodge: 1st
Stocker: 11 or lower
Hodge's age coming into the AFL could certainly account for his slow start, but comparing these two at 21yo is also a little disingenuous.
At the start of 2005, Hodge was starting his 4th season in the AFL system and already had 30 games under his belt.
At the start of 2021, Stocker was starting his 3rd year, but had virtually taken all of 2020 off due to mental health and had no VFL to play in either. He started the year with 5 games under his belt.

Happy to be corrected if wrong, but I believe Hodge was playing as a mid back then too, which would account for such a large discrepancy in disposals.
I think that's enough of the Hodge comparisons anyway, as the original comment was clearly taken out of context.

I liken him to a much better version of Ben Lennon.

I like to think him as a less shitscared Corey Ellis.

Why don’t Carlton try and play Stocker in the midfield? He certainly has the skills. Not sure what his endurance levels are like?
I think the club were waiting on him to build his tank, that being said he's been a mighty good back pocket for us regardless. The addition of Cerra/Hewett probably doesn't help his case either but he's definitely the type of kid that doesn't care about where he plays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't see Stocker Making our best 22. I think we're over rating him a bit. Who would we take out to let him in? No Walsh, Curnow or even Kemp on Thursday night. He's not straight into our best as we finally have a bit of depth.
would probably be better off going elsewhere imo

I can't see Stocker Making our best 22. I think we're over rating him a bit. Who would we take out to let him in? No Walsh, Curnow or even Kemp on Thursday night. He's not straight into our best as we finally have a bit of depth.
Stocker is a straight swap for Newman. Walsh comes in for one of Setterfield/LOB, Ed Curnow is not best 22 and Kemp still needs to prove himself (can come in for one of Pitto/TDK as a tall utility around the ground).

Edit: Great minds Kreuuuzeurns, posted at the exact same time haha

Our mid field looked pretty solid last night, unless he can cement a role as a half bank flanker, he may want to look elsewhere for more opportunities, although I read somewhere last week that his re-signing was imminent.
I agree Elmer - we have now 5 good onballers so that's all we need. None will ever get injured so therefore we should get every other player to look elsewhere. We don't need depth or players who can play midfield/defence and are developing really well.

Come on mate. Think it through. Bloke looks like he'll be a really good tough player. Can't have too many of them no matter what spot that they hold.

The problem is, we don't know how good Stocker will be as a pure on-baller yet.
Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy, Stocker is a decent set up if Stocker becomes the player we hope/think he will.
Moves Cerra and Walsh out to the wings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back