Life

Remove this Banner Ad

I have 3 grand children, 2 of them aged 8 and 11 are voracious readers, the 13 year old not so much.

They are not allowed on devices on weekdays before and after school which includes television, they are fine with it, it's just what you get used to. They started off on Little golden books, this is the latest they are devouring.

View attachment 635223

Teenager is not fine with it.

Our baby sleeps like, six hours a day on a good one, sometimes the only way to settle her is bounce her in front of the telly. Toys, musical toys, us being clowns, nothing else will do it.

Our baby sleeps like, six hours a day on a good one, sometimes the only way to settle her is bounce her in front of the telly. Toys, musical toys, us being clowns, nothing else will do it.
Do what you have to do. I restrict Mary's screen time because I have to give him an iPad with the Wiggles on in the car. Ever since he was born he screams hysterically in the car, this is the only thing that quietens him down so I can drive safely.

Teenager is not fine with it.
The 13 year old (14 next month) is in high school and part of the class requirements is he has to have an ipad, he's still not allowed to watch TV though, he does read but nowhere near as much as the younger 2.

The younger boy starts High School next year so it'll be interesting to see what happens then.

Do what you have to do. I restrict Mary's screen time because I have to give him an iPad with the Wiggles on in the car. Ever since he was born he screams hysterically in the car, this is the only thing that quietens him down so I can drive safely.
Shopping is the other one where my mates say the devices are life savers. Plonk them in the trolley with the ABC kids app.

Shopping is the other one where my mates say the devices are life savers. Plonk them in the trolley with the ABC kids app.
I'm lucky that Mary is a little piggy and I just give him an apple and he's content to munch on that while I stroll the aisles. Some of my friends are not so lucky and they pull the phones out in the shops so everyone can enjoy some peace and quiet.

The 13 year old (14 next month) is in high school and part of the class requirements is he has to have an ipad, he's still not allowed to watch TV though, he does read but nowhere near as much as the younger 2.

The younger boy starts High School next year so it'll be interesting to see what happens then.

If he told you "It's fine" it's because he knows that's what you want to hear. If you don't lighten up, at 16 he'll be smoking dope at Joel's house out of boredom and resentment.

If he told you "It's fine" it's because he knows that's what you want to hear. If you don't lighten up, at 16 he'll be smoking dope at Joel's house out of boredom and resentment.
LOL, not up to me I'm the grand father although I do look after them after school till mum and dad get home from work 2-3 times a week.

Nothing wrong with dope btw*, I'm all for legalization.

*Not for teenagers though.

No TV at all? That can be crippling for social development. Kids need to be able to chat about how many nips they saw on late night SBS or whatever. You don't want him becoming that weird kid in the back of the classroom who's allergic to sunlight or something.

LOL, not up to me I'm the grand father although I do look after them after school till mum and dad get home from work 2-3 times a week.

Nothing wrong with dope btw*, I'm all for legalization.

*Not for teenagers though.
*except for when I was one

No TV at all? That can be crippling for social development. Kids need to be able to chat about how many nips they saw on late night SBS or whatever. You don't want him becoming that weird kid in the back of the classroom who's allergic to sunlight or something.
They watch TV on the weekends/school holidays just not before and after school.

Before school is a no brainer, there's only a couple of hours to fill in and they're getting ready for school, eating breakfast or reading.

After school they have training, 2 of them play soccer and 1 Aussie Rules or they're running around the back yard, playing leggo, doing homework etc.

I'm very proud of the way my son and daughter in law are bringing up their children.

Do these kids still play video games?

I can't work out if gaming has finally crossed in to mainsteam, I know some have ie Fortnite, or by and large it is still a dominion of nerds?

B9MZP28IAAIjUD9.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gaming is still very popular. Never got into PC gaming growing up but enjoyed console games.

I can't really relate to today's multiplayer games though. Kids wearing headsets and all playing with/against each other (or anyone else in the world online) without leaving their own houses. To me multiplayer means 4 kids sat around a CRT TV playing Goldeneye 64 with the risk of placing one too many proximity mines being that your mate will punch you. Also don't get the endless downloadable content. I don't want to pay $80 for a video game then have to wait for a system update, then start playing it and have to register an account and pay $20 once I get to a certain point. * that.

Gaming is still very popular. Never got into PC gaming growing up but enjoyed console games.

I can't really relate to today's multiplayer games though. Kids wearing headsets and all playing with/against each other (or anyone else in the world online) without leaving their own houses. To me multiplayer means 4 kids sat around a CRT TV playing Goldeneye 64 with the risk of placing one too many proximity mines being that your mate will punch you. Also don't get the endless downloadable content. I don't want to pay $80 for a video game then have to wait for a system update, then start playing it and have to register an account and pay $20 once I get to a certain point. **** that.

Modern shooter games are very hard to splitscreen, unlike Goldeneye. Racing games are still very doable, but most of the time when I play with mates we take laptops over one anothers house and play something like Age of Empires. Sometimes we will bring Xbox's over to play online but still with company. It is better than just staying at each other's house but a bit more effort.

I can't really relate to today's multiplayer games though. Kids wearing headsets and all playing with/against each other (or anyone else in the world online) without leaving their own houses. To me multiplayer means 4 kids sat around a CRT TV playing Goldeneye 64 with the risk of placing one too many proximity mines being that your mate will punch you. Also don't get the endless downloadable content. I don't want to pay $80 for a video game then have to wait for a system update, then start playing it and have to register an account and pay $20 once I get to a certain point. **** that.
Wasn't it great buying a game and actually owning it, not having to pay for updates or skins or other garbage. Modern gaming is very much starting to resemble gambling; hook the punter and reel them in.

Wasn't it great buying a game and actually owning it, not having to pay for updates or skins or other garbage. Modern gaming is very much starting to resemble gambling; hook the punter and reel them in.

The rise of online gaming pretty much coincided with me becoming an adult. Or at least getting older and being less interested in video games. I think my only online purchase to date has been Mario Kart 64 on the Wii-shop thing for $10. Pretty sure XBOX/PS4 already offer subscriptions for updating games etc. Would not be surprised to see games go the way of Netflix, Spotify etc.

Gaming also has a cross over between technology and imagination. Side scrollers like Mario Bros were revolutionary and at the limit of 1980s technology. Mario 64 was the first 3D version in 1996. Over the years the graphics have improved and there are new characters, items etc. but the basic structure of the games hasn't really changed. I played Gran Turismo 5 I think it was in Myer and the graphics were outstanding but after 5 minutes I was over it. Impressive as it was I've played 50 other racing car games before.

It's a constant battle by developers to come up with something new to pique people's interest. Nintendo hit a winner in the 2000s with the Wii gameplay with motion sensors and acceleromoters but that novelty wore off and now everyone has that tech in their stable. Wii was a hit, Wii-U not so much. Their latest point of difference with the Switch is having a console that is both portable and can be connected to a TV.

It says: "As an Xbox Game Pass member, you can save up to 20% on Xbox One game purchases from the existing Xbox Game Pass catalogue, plus save up to 10% off related game add-ons and consumables.*".

I'm more thinking it'll go down the path of Office365. You pay your $20 a month or whatever it is and can play any of the games in the library.

It says: "As an Xbox Game Pass member, you can save up to 20% on Xbox One game purchases from the existing Xbox Game Pass catalogue, plus save up to 10% off related game add-ons and consumables.*".

I'm more thinking it'll go down the path of Office365. You pay your $20 a month or whatever it is and can play any of the games in the library.

You're right. Origin Access for PC is more similar to 365 - a while ago I subscribed for a month to try Battlefront 2. Beat the campaign and a bit of multiplayer, then cancelled the subscription.

Do these kids still play video games?

I can't work out if gaming has finally crossed in to mainsteam, I know some have ie Fortnite, or by and large it is still a dominion of nerds?
I don't think nerd culture really exists anymore, does it? Playing video games is considered cool, superheroes/comic books are mainstream, and it's fashionable to dress like a geek.

I don't think nerd culture really exists anymore, does it? Playing video games is considered cool, superheroes/comic books are mainstream, and it's fashionable to dress like a geek.

Oh I'm sure 100 hour RPG's, Star Trek, fantasy themed heavy metal and DND would still get one ostracised, young people or parents of appropriate aged kids please respond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back