Preview Lions v Suns Sunday 5th May @ 7.10 pm The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, drop the one that isn't a forward though. Don't think this is complicated.

We get nothing out of dizzy offensively and our forward pressure is worse than last year. Easy fix.

It sinks that Cam might have to play taller for periods as at this point we may as well just keep giving him lots of midfield minutes, but don't think we have many other options unless we go for Morris, Ryan, Smith etc.
IF Cam could produce regularly his performance from the Dees game, we all agree that inside mid would be preferred. Unfortunately he does not produce those performances consistently. Not sure if it is fitness issue, but looking at Cam and a bit like Payne, they appear to be power athletes as opposed to endurance footballers. I think Cam should be our third tall with some stints in the middle.

Dizzy probably a victim of Lester playing so well and the coaches trying to fit him in to the best 22. Maybe persist with him for the next couple of games forward, but you are correct, needs to offer a bit more offensively and play on, and take a shot if within range.

I understand it’s not just about Hipwood. The whole forward group has been a shambles at times. With the exception of maybe McCarthy. But I guess Hipwoods name pops up because Morris is putting heat on him and quite frankly he’s out of form. There are no smalls in the VFL ready to take Cameron or McCarthys spot so naturally, outside of Gardiner, Hipwood is the most likely to be considered for omission. That’s not irrational criticism.

Our contested marking and pressure is poor. Hipwood isn’t a good contested mark. He’s a good lead up option. So if the delivery is poor then he’s a victim of our poor skills and will struggle to impact. So maybe let’s try something different. Nothing against him but atm we aren’t playing a style that suits his skill set. Bombing it on top of his head doesn’t work and that is something this group will struggle to address because we have played that way for years and haven’t got enough smarts and skills in the middle of the ground. McCluggage can’t do everything. Particularly without Coleman.

A big issue is we are terrible with ground balls in the forward half.

You probably have to go two talls and get as many forwards in the team that have more flexibility/ ability to compete in the air and more importantly on the ground.

Maybe we should look at only one key forward and then a resting ruck. Try something completely different. Sort of similar to how Collingwood set up. They are mainly smalls and mediums that are good in the air and then work off Cameron/ Cox and Mihocek.

And I know we have tried the resting ruck but we usually try it with two talls that apply little pressure already in the team. Let’s drop a tall, go smaller and then rest a ruck forward every now and then or just bench the resting ruck and go 4/5 smalls.

I suggested Fort this week because he could be important to help Big O coming off a concussion against a beast like Witts. Can’t see Daniher being competitive against him as second ruck. Smith would be close to a call up but maybe a debut against Witt’s it’s a tough ask.

Let’s just try something a bit different for a change and see what happens. We have nothing to lose. If it doesn’t work then we can revert to type and go the standard structure.

I understand it’s not just about Hipwood. The whole forward group has been a shambles at times. With the exception of maybe McCarthy. But I guess Hipwoods name pops up because Morris is putting heat on him and quite frankly he’s out of form. There are no smalls in the VFL ready to take Cameron or McCarthys spot so naturally, outside of Gardiner, Hipwood is the most likely to be considered for omission. That’s not irrational criticism.

Our contested marking and pressure is poor. Hipwood isn’t a good contested mark. He’s a good lead up option. So if the delivery is poor then he’s a victim of our poor skills and will struggle to impact. So maybe let’s try something different. Nothing against him but atm we aren’t playing a style that suits his skill set. Bombing it on top of his head doesn’t work and that is something this group will struggle to address because we have played that way for years and haven’t got enough smarts and skills in the middle of the ground. McCluggage can’t do everything. Particularly without Coleman.

A big issue is we are terrible with ground balls in the forward half.

You probably have to go two talls and get as many forwards in the team that have more flexibility/ ability to compete in the air and more importantly on the ground.

Maybe we should look at only one key forward and then a resting ruck. Try something completely different. Sort of similar to how Collingwood set up. They are mainly smalls and mediums that are good in the air and then work off Cameron/ Cox and Mihocek.

And I know we have tried the resting ruck but we usually try it with two talls that apply little pressure already in the team. Let’s drop a tall, go smaller and then rest a ruck forward every now and then or just bench the resting ruck and go 4/5 smalls.

I suggested Fort this week because he could be important to help Big O coming off a concussion against a beast like Witts. Can’t see Daniher being competitive against him as second ruck. Smith would be close to a call up but maybe a debut against Witt’s it’s a tough ask.

Let’s just try something a bit different for a change and see what happens. We have nothing to lose. If it doesn’t work then we can revert to type and go the standard structure.
With Hipwood, I don’t think it’s necessarily all about goals. He’s a momentum killer and has just got to get better. Yes, Joe is the same but he’s also the back up ruck and Charlie too, who has way more credits in the bank.

Top 10 for goal assists last year as well but as soon as he hits a rough patch he's a dud that needs to be dropped
And last year he got plaudits. It’s not all one way. Why is he so immune to some form of criticism? He’s out of form. No one is saying he’s finished. There are no calls to trade him. He’s a good player who is in a rough patch as you said.

But if one of his direct replacements is playing well in the twos then surely it’s reasonable to suggest his position for the time being is under more scrutiny (if we go with two talls instead of three).

I think Daniher has been poor in games too but he’s been a bit better than Hipwood so far.

And last year he got plaudits. It’s not all one way. Why is he so immune to some form of criticism? He’s out of form. No one is saying he’s finished. There are no calls to trade him. He’s a good player who is in a rough patch as you said.

But if one of his direct replacements is playing well in the twos then surely it’s reasonable to suggest his position for the time being is under more scrutiny (if we go with two talls instead of three).

I think Daniher has been poor in games too but he’s been a bit better than Hipwood so far.

It’s just the irrational and disproportionate amount of criticism he gets. Charlie gets a pass because he has runs on the board but nobody gives Hippy the same credit for being a more than capable footballer

And we tend to overrate VFL form, Lyons was the best VFL footballer and has mostly looked out of his depth at AFL level this year. It’s a huge step up

Who is Hipwood’s direct replacement in the vfl that you consider to be playing well?

Morris, and I’ve watched all the games. And that’s with poor delivery, the same excuse that gets afforded to our Senior forward line superstars.

IMO Morris wouldn't be the right guy to replace Hippy, but the perfect Gardiner replacement.

IMO Morris wouldn't be the right guy to replace Hippy, but the perfect Gardiner replacement.
I think that’s what they will do this week. Unless they decide on Gardiner back and Payne forward.

It takes courage to make changes from the norm …… do we have it ? Do we need It?…….

It’s just the irrational and disproportionate amount of criticism he gets. Charlie gets a pass because he has runs on the board but nobody gives Hippy the same credit for being a more than capable footballer

And we tend to overrate VFL form, Lyons was the best VFL footballer and has mostly looked out of his depth at AFL level this year. It’s a huge step up

Looked out of his depth in the VFL last week too. Their mids just ran away from him. Unless it falls at his feet, he is a liability.

I'm not in the drop Hipwood camp as yet but that's a really good point. If the gulf is as wide as everyone here seems to think let's find out with a seasoned player who's only really played at the top level and is trying to find some form.
I'm not in the drop Hipwood camp because he is out of form, I'm in the drop Hipwood camp because he is not improving. We have had Payne in and out, Lester in and out, Achee, Robinson, Llyons ect. Fagan has been playing around the edges and I do understand his strategy of familiarity builds trust and cohesion. But familiarity also builds contempt, and a few in the core of his 'untouchables' need a message, no one is safe. I kinda think Hipwood is the one because we have a couple whom can play that position doing ok behind him in the VFL. If Fagan sends a warning to one, does he get a lift in the, many? It's a hard decision, but just maybe Hippy is the sacrificial lamb, Harris in his press conference hinted there may be more changes other than just the forced changes.

Who is Hipwood’s direct replacement in the vfl that you consider to be playing well?
I would have thought that Ryan would be Hipwood's back up(and maybe Daniher as well) if you are going like-for-like. But clearly he has been injured and is only one game in for the VFL. Likely needs at least 1 more game for fitness sake. Its not been a simple swap for him so far this year.

There are other options that could have been made, but they arent like for like and would likely have meant a bit of a change in how we operate (not saying that wouldnt have value). Smith and Morris are different but have some decent looking form that could work out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brain to debut or am I reading too much into the re-signing announcement?
That would be great if he did but what part of the ground would he play, we are covered very well in the small/medium defender space. It would be setting him up to fail if he played a different position to which he has been playing very well in the VFL.

I would of thought Bruce Reville would make more sense as a debutant this week.

That would be great if he did but what part of the ground would he play, we are covered very well in the small/medium defender space. It would be setting him up to fail if he played a different position to which he has been playing very well in the VFL.

I would of thought Bruce Reville would make more sense as a debutant this week.

Maybe push Wilmot or Answerth to a wing

Hipwood suffers because he's not as good as people thought he was going to be or should be.

He seems to me to be a better than average tall forward who plays a reasonably difficult role ok most of the time , but lacks the marking skills and real footy nous to ever be a gun. As far as I can tell his effort is usually always there.

Just the same people need to stop looking at the past. This year is different , some teams are playing differently ,we're stinking it up. I don't go along with wholesale changes but I think some meaningful messages sent via a team change or two wouldn't go astray.

The effort in many games this year shouldn't really be tolerated. I don't know why some people are totally resistant to any change on guys who haven't delivered. If they're as good as they say then they'll be back soon enough won't they.

Hipwood and Daniher both play their best footy when getting up the ground marking on the lead and running back, both also pretty good kicks when in form, Joe a slightly better contested mark, would be even better if he didn't bloody flop all the time.... they are very very light Lance Franklin types.

Reasonably similar types, ideally we want a pack crashing beast who clunks his marks to compliment Hipwood when Joe gives it away.

Regarding Hippy.
I have always felt he always leads to early and then to fast.
He really only needs to get to a good position on the lead and hold that ground.

Having a fast leading forward is usually a good thing.
I just feel Hippys fast momentum getting to that marking contest is a big reason he drops marks we all think he should take.
Depends on how hard the incoming ball is kicked too.

In general it is easier if the ball being kicked and the leading player are both arriving at the mark point slower.
But you can't deliver the ball and mark that way in general.
Unless it is those kicks backwards in our defence area.
You have to find a happy medium.

On Lenovo TB-X606F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hipwood and Daniher both play their best footy when getting up the ground marking on the lead and running back, both also pretty good kicks when in form, Joe a slightly better contested mark, would be even better if he didn't bloody flop all the time.... they are very very light Lance Franklin types.

Reasonably similar types, ideally we want a pack crashing beast who clunks his marks to compliment Hipwood when Joe gives it away.
Good point. They're similar in stature and the way they play. Joe's a lot better player and far more mercurial but when they both play average games we're in trouble.

Of course we'd love a lot more solid ,reliable tough strong contested marking forward but we've got what we've got and mostly it's worked well.

Section 5 makes a great point about leading . All the great leading forwards only needed a yard and then led late to meet the ball with a soft contact. Hipwood is always charging out and running hard into it . It makes it difficult to hold on to at times but it's mostly about his incapacity to lead effectively. Whether that can be taught don't know.

We were very close to picking up Darcy Fogarty couple of years back when suddenly he decided to activate Plugger mode for last 2-3 rounds kicking bunch of goals and went out of our reach.

I'm not in the drop Hipwood camp because he is out of form, I'm in the drop Hipwood camp because he is not improving. We have had Payne in and out, Lester in and out, Achee, Robinson, Llyons ect. Fagan has been playing around the edges and I do understand his strategy of familiarity builds trust and cohesion. But familiarity also builds contempt, and a few in the core of his 'untouchables' need a message, no one is safe. I kinda think Hipwood is the one because we have a couple whom can play that position doing ok behind him in the VFL. If Fagan sends a warning to one, does he get a lift in the, many? It's a hard decision, but just maybe Hippy is the sacrificial lamb, Harris in his press conference hinted there may be more changes other than just the forced changes.
Was it a wink , wink, nudge , nudge, say no more, say no more kind of thing , when he spoke about posibble changes. ;) .
I missed it.
Anyway , got to go ,wink wink say no more say no more.

When I first saw it I thought it was going to say it was a debut, I got excited and then it was a bit of a let down.
But good on him.

Fantastic signing - showing a lot at VFL level. Great get for a rookie pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back