AFLW List Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

It will be interesting to see what compensation the AFL does give for a club losing eight players.

Last year most people agreed that Collingwood got absolutely raided, and their compensation was a pick at the end of the first round. The Bulldogs got a pick at the end of the second round, Melbourne a pick at the end of the third round, Carlton a pick at the end of the fourth round.

Brisbane weren't given any compensation picks, presumably because they were effectively worthless when they had sole access to their draft pool. This year, Brisbane is picking against Gold Coast, so compensation picks are absolutely valuable for them.

Richmond traded their first-round pick for Sabz, so still one more free agency departure on the cards for Brisbane.

Therefore as of right now (things might change), the Lions have access to the two best Queenslanders in the draft. Good result for them if it stays that way.

It will be interesting to see what compensation the AFL does give for a club losing eight players.

Last year most people agreed that Collingwood got absolutely raided, and their compensation was a pick at the end of the first round. The Bulldogs got a pick at the end of the second round, Melbourne a pick at the end of the third round, Carlton a pick at the end of the fourth round.

Brisbane weren't given any compensation picks, presumably because they were effectively worthless when they had sole access to their draft pool. This year, Brisbane is picking against Gold Coast, so compensation picks are absolutely valuable for them.

It's worth remembering that those compensation picks were based on what a club lost in comparison to other established clubs in the same zone, and there are no other established clubs in Brisbane's zone. In any case, looking at the current lists, if there's a QLD club that requires help it's the Suns imo.

Richmond traded their first-round pick for Sabz, so still one more free agency departure on the cards for Brisbane.

Therefore as of right now (things might change), the Lions have access to the two best Queenslanders in the draft. Good result for them if it stays that way.

It's worth remembering that those compensation picks were based on what a club lost in comparison to other established clubs in the same zone, and there are no other established clubs in Brisbane's zone. In any case, looking at the current lists, if there's a QLD club that requires help it's the Suns imo.
It's difficult to see how Brisbane get priority picks over the Sun's given they still have a bigger and better list than the Sun's.

The other issue with compensation is, in the men's, if a pick goes from one club to another, those are the only clubs affected. In AFLW, Brisbane getting an early pick from a Vic club in compensation effectively pushes the Suns down the order in Qld.

Why should the Sun's, with a shallow list, miss out on the best Queenslander, because Brisbane lost a player to Vic.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

The looming Libby Birch trade is a bit weird, seems like Melbourne's backline will be overcrowded with the re-signings of Downie and Jakobsson. Thought either might've been part of negotiations, or that the latter was off to St Kilda after hearing about Guttridge.

So, in summary, who's gone where so that I can update a post?
Looks like your post needs the following added:

Gold Coast
Jamie Stanton (Nth Melb)
Emma Pittman (Brisbane)
Lauren Bella (Brisbane)

Richmond
Christina Bernardi (GWS)
Sabrina Frederick (Brisbane)

West Coast
Parris Laurie (Fremantle)
Belinda Smith (Western Bulldogs)
Maddy Collier (GWS)

Just a question why isn't the Crows losing players?
They have a stable core group, and relatively few players outside the SA and NT players. Where they will lose players is from outside their list. A number of SA players went to GWS last year. I think more and more players from SA are going to realise its going to be very hard to get into the AFLW staying in SA, leading to a bit of an exodus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have a stable core group, and relatively few players outside the SA and NT players. Where they will lose players is from outside their list. A number of SA players went to GWS last year. I think more and more players from SA are going to realise its going to be very hard to get into the AFLW staying in SA, leading to a bit of an exodus.

To true it has been mostly SANFLW players. 2019 U18 Captain Esther Boles reportedly Richmond VFLW. Also there has been the ones that missed on the initial squad and are now overwhelmed by new talent.

With Western Bulldogs having lost 4 to expansion clubs that means Conti to Richmond requires trade.

And no first rounder left to send. You'd have to think Conti is worth more than Frederick. Wonder how we'll swing it. Unless of course it's not happening.

And no first rounder left to send. You'd have to think Conti is worth more than Frederick. Wonder how we'll swing it. Unless of course it's not happening.

Does anyone know if there are still only two tier-one contracts per club? If so, you'd have to think that would be Brennan and Frederick at Richmond. Maybe Richmond can cobble an attractive enough offer for Conti from other sources that she'd cross for tier-two payments. I don't know. At this stage it seems like the money would be the easy part. Unless I'm confused, which is more than likely, aren't Richmond now in the position that they have to convince the Bulldogs that trading Conti is in their best interests? As Nim pointed out, Richmond are going to have to make that argument with few tradeable assets.

For all people are freaking out about the amount of player movement, I'm not sure the AFL has put enough mechanisms for players to move outside expansion. I'm not suggesting that a first round draft pick with two years of service should get unrestricted free agency, but I'm not sure a system where clubs can just say 'no trade for you, here's you're new contract' is workable either. I don't know the solution, but I feel like having an extremely rigid payment system that heavily restricts what the women can earn, combined with a system that doesn't allow them to change clubs without the cooperation of their current teams is bound to wind up in court sooner rather than later.

Master troll if she is actually staying at the Dogs. Worn Nike boots for every AFLW game but on the weekend instastoried a picture of her new Puma sneakers!

At this stage I'm predicting Richmond will get a recruiting compensation pick at the start of the first round (Geelong got two, don't forget), which could probably be used to trade for Conti or whoever.

Does anyone know if there are still only two tier-one contracts per club? If so, you'd have to think that would be Brennan and Frederick at Richmond. Maybe Richmond can cobble an attractive enough offer for Conti from other sources that she'd cross for tier-two payments. I don't know. At this stage it seems like the money would be the easy part. Unless I'm confused, which is more than likely, aren't Richmond now in the position that they have to convince the Bulldogs that trading Conti is in their best interests? As Nim pointed out, Richmond are going to have to make that argument with few tradeable assets.

For all people are freaking out about the amount of player movement, I'm not sure the AFL has put enough mechanisms for players to move outside expansion. I'm not suggesting that a first round draft pick with two years of service should get unrestricted free agency, but I'm not sure a system where clubs can just say 'no trade for you, here's you're new contract' is workable either. I don't know the solution, but I feel like having an extremely rigid payment system that heavily restricts what the women can earn, combined with a system that doesn't allow them to change clubs without the cooperation of their current teams is bound to wind up in court sooner rather than later.
Yeah the payment tiers aren't the be-all-end-all in terms of money, and money itself isn't necessarily the whole picture either. Think you're across the details and difficulties of the situation, however I'd add that AFLW clubs have been quite conciliatory so far with their handling of trades (likely at the behest of both the AFL and AFLPA, though it's also good karma).

But at the end of the day, there is a reason why the men's league now allows for the trading of draft picks years in advance.

Last edited:
Not a list post per se, more an observation for comment. Could have gone on the AFLW general thread, but to many trolls and morons frequent that.

This comes about as Brisbane have traded in a number of picks with players leaving. This raises an issue.

If we take a hypothetical draft order.

pick 1, Vic club
2, Vic club
3, WA club
4, Pies
5, Suns
6, Vic club
7, Lions

In the mens comp, If the Pies traded their pick 4 to the Lions for a player, no other club is affected. The Suns still have 4 clubs pick ahead of them, from the same pool of players.
However, if we apply the same draft order to the Womens, its a bit different. The Qld part of the draft is pick 1 - Suns, pick 2 - Lions.
Suns have the first shot at the best player in Qld and no other club can get her.

However, if the Pies trade their pick 4 to the Lions, the Suns are effectively bumped from pick 1 to pick 2.

This seems to be to be potentially a big problem.

The Pies give up effectively the third Vic pick, but get a player they think is worth it. The Lions give up a good player, and get the first pick in Qld. The Suns lose pick one and get??

The Pies and the Lions have effectively done a deal for the Lions to trade a player to the Pies for the Suns first pick. That has to be a problem surely?

This is compounded as a problem by the fact that while Brisbane is complaining about being raided, they still have a bigger and better list that the Suns, if they can now trade in picks, then every Suns pick that comes after, has effectively been downgraded.

Not a list post per se, more an observation for comment. Could have gone on the AFLW general thread, but to many trolls and morons frequent that.

This comes about as Brisbane have traded in a number of picks with players leaving. This raises an issue.

If we take a hypothetical draft order.

pick 1, Vic club
2, Vic club
3, WA club
4, Pies
5, Suns
6, Vic club
7, Lions

In the mens comp, If the Pies traded their pick 4 to the Lions for a player, no other club is affected. The Suns still have 4 clubs pick ahead of them, from the same pool of players.
However, if we apply the same draft order to the Womens, its a bit different. The Qld part of the draft is pick 1 - Suns, pick 2 - Lions.
Suns have the first shot at the best player in Qld and no other club can get her.

However, if the Pies trade their pick 4 to the Lions, the Suns are effectively bumped from pick 1 to pick 2.

This seems to be to be potentially a big problem.

The Pies give up effectively the third Vic pick, but get a player they think is worth it. The Lions give up a good player, and get the first pick in Qld. The Suns lose pick one and get??

The Pies and the Lions have effectively done a deal for the Lions to trade a player to the Pies for the Suns first pick. That has to be a problem surely?

This is compounded as a problem by the fact that while Brisbane is complaining about being raided, they still have a bigger and better list that the Suns, if they can now trade in picks, then every Suns pick that comes after, has effectively been downgraded.
What issues does it raise the Lions have lost 15 players in 3 years which has deluded their list Brisbane are allowed to trade players that are still signed to the club

What issues does it raise the Lions have lost 15 players in 3 years which has deluded their list Brisbane are allowed to trade players that are still signed to the club
1. They still have more players than the suns.
2. A deal between 2 clubs shouldn't be able to disadvantage a team not involved in the deal.

1. They still have more players than the suns.
2. A deal between 2 clubs shouldn't be able to disadvantage a team not involved in the deal.
3 more players than the Suns isn't a bigger list
As for your second point that's what happens in trades Suns got a Compo pick at 3 for Lynch last season that disavantaged the Saints
I think you just want something to complain about

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back