rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I really aren't very confident about this one!! S. J. Cathie was the Leopold secretary in 1901, he left the position in 1903 ("after many years of hard work"). George Cathie (Leopold/Melbourne) and Sylvester John Cathie are almost certainly brothers, I'd say. Surely it's very unlikely S J Cathie would have been playing for Richmond (1900-03) while being so involved with Leopold? He probably had to retire from playing a few years earlier than that (more correctly matching what it says in his army record).

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/164946038
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/165174777

Incidentally, Leopold FC (in 1900 at least) had Port Melbourne Cricket Ground as it's headquarters, so that may explain why Vess Cathie had a connection with Port Melbourne CC.

Yeah, the absence of any solid connection seems to be the indication that I'm trying to force him into Richmond's timeline. And it's just not working.
I might have to go back to the drawing board on who Jack Cathie is.

I suspect one of our earlier researchers (say 10-15years ago) checked BDM and found Sylvester John fitted in birth-wise into Jack Cathie's Richmond debut date, and populated the first name field with that.

So, at the moment I am removing Sylvester John Cathie as Richmond's Jack Cathie from my confirmed VFA and WAR list

Last edited:

Harry Hook

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As for Jack Cathie, I found this reference to the death of Arthur Francis Cathie who was referred to specifically as Jack in the obituary.

The Argus 7 January 1920

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article1672381

I don't have access to Ancestry but it ppears A F Cathie's wife was born in 1880 so if we presume there is some age parity, that would put him in the correct age bracket to have played in 1902.

A cursory glance of the reference's to Cathie's playing record at Richmond suggests that no initial was included.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
As for Jack Cathie, I found this reference to the death of Arthur Francis Cathie who was referred to specifically as Jack in the obituary.

The Argus 7 January 1920
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article1672381

I don't have access to Ancestry but it ppears A F Cathie's wife was born in 1880 so if we presume there is some age parity, that would put him in the correct age bracket to have played in 1902.

A cursory glance of the reference's to Cathie's playing record at Richmond suggests that no initial was included.
That death notice ^ does say he was "aged 40 years" so the age would have been okay for sure. Must be some chance, especially with the 'Jack' thrown in.

Event Birth
Event registration number 490
Registration year 1880

Personal information
Family name CATHIE
Given names Arthur Francis
Sex Unknown
Father's name Jas
Mother's name Elizabeth (Missen)
Place of birth BEAUFORT
===================
Event Death
Event registration number 604
Registration year 1920

Personal information
Family name CATHIE
Given names Arth Francis
Sex Unknown
Father's name Cathie James
Mother's name Elizth (Missen)
Place of birth
Place of death Bwk N
Age 40

Last edited:

Harry Hook

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That death notice ^ does say he was "aged 40 years" so the age would have been okay for sure. Must be some chance, especially with the 'Jack' thrown in.

Event Birth
Event registration number 490
Registration year 1880

Personal information
Family name CATHIE
Given names Arthur Francis
Sex Unknown
Father's name Jas
Mother's name Elizabeth (Missen)
Place of birth BEAUFORT
===================
Event Death
Event registration number 604
Registration year 1920

Personal information
Family name CATHIE
Given names Arth Francis
Sex Unknown
Father's name Cathie James
Mother's name Elizth (Missen)
Place of birth
Place of death Bwk N
Age 40
You can find the family tree of AF Cathie for free if you search for the name Elizabeth Missen.

Basically AF was born when his mother, Elizabeth Missen, was 36 and his father, James Cathie, was 41.

He was the last of 6 children of which 3 were males. There was one other brother Henry Read Cathie, who was born 1877 (there was 23 in 1900) and another brother, James Edward, was born in 1865.

Given whoever Jack Cathie only played from 1900 to 1903 , if any member of this Cathie family is Jack Cathie,it must be Henry Read or AF.

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Thank you both.
I'll ask WHL to seek out a descendant and I'll contact them and ask for a photo of Arthur and see how it compares to a 1902 team photo

(nothing in 1920/1921 Annual Report about a Cathie death. 1920 Minute Book is not in our collection)

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I'm going cross-eyed.
Looking for result of 1955 Melbourne Boys' League Grand Final - between Richmond 4ths and Sth Melb 4ths (at Nth Melb) - Aug 20 1955 (or day or so later).
I've discovered Richmond went through the whole season undefeated, so just seeing if they won the Grand Final.
(The 1955 Annual Report which would have all the info is in storage)

Edit: Richmond lost the GF by 1 point (!). Though I'm still looking for the scores

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I'm going cross-eyed.
Looking for result of 1955 Melbourne Boys' League Grand Final - between Richmond 4ths and Sth Melb 4ths (at Nth Melb) - Aug 20 1955 (or day or so later).
I've discovered Richmond went through the whole season undefeated, so just seeing if they won the Grand Final.
(The 1955 Annual Report which would have all the info is in storage)

Edit: Richmond lost the GF by 1 point (!). Though I'm still looking for the scores
I can't see it in The Age, The Argus, or the following week's Football Record. I imagine you would have seen the Richmond squad named in the Rd. 18 Record?

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
More scribbles found.
James "Jimmy' Dobson who played for Richmond VFA 1895-1897 (from St Ignatius, and looks like came from Melb FC) is listed in the scribbles as serving in WW1 from 11/11/1915 - 16/7/1917 as a Private, although 'Medically Unfit Senility' I never had him on my War list. I can't find any record in MB or AR of him at war - so if anyone ever connected the dots, keep me posted.
From AIF details https://www.aif.adfa.edu.au/showPerson?pid=80108

James Dobson born Collingwood NOK Mary Hansford (mother) aged 43 in 1915 . A James Dobson born 1872 to Thomas and Mary (Haloran) Mary remarries in 1880 to Hansford (and ironically for the NOK dies 1915)

Enlistment date 11 November 1915
Rank on enlistment Private
Unit name 14th Battalion, 15th Reinforcement
AWM Embarkation Roll number 23/31/4
Embarkation details Unit embarked from Melbourne, Victoria, on board HMAT A68 Anchises on 14 March 1916
Rank from Nominal Roll Private
Unit from Nominal Roll 46th Battalion
Fate Returned to Australia 8 April 1917

Now whether this is yours or not remains to be seen

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Lads I think I have the answer.

Norm Turnbull is Norman Albert Victor Turnbull.

Just an fyi. With thanks to WhiteHartLane, we've managed to track down Norm Turnbull's grandson over in Europe.
He confirms Norm is Norman Albert Victor Turnbull.
He heard he may have been in WW1 but has no documentation of that.

So we probably stick to the suggestion that he failed to attend compulsory drill training (possibly to a previous conviction).

Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Last edited:
Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I stumbled across Gower Ross at the VFA Project website and thought the name sounded familiar – he came up in the players who served in war thread. He died in World War I and the article linked to in this post clearly identifies him as a Brunswick player who served in Flying Corps and died on his first flight.

The reference on the VFA Project site to him playing for St Kilda triggered a query for me though – he is not one of the VFL players known to have died in war.

Using published dates of birth/death (see Wikipedia) for the VFL player I found that they are those of Hubert Dalmore de Ross (the Brunswick player Gower Ross’s older brother)

So, the question is which scenario do we have here?
1) The player "Ross" for St Kilda in 1909 has been misidentified and is neither of the two brothers (he is clearly named as Ross in match reports but I have found no reference to "Gower" so far)
2) The 1909 St Kilda player was Hubert Dalmore de Ross (1885-1955) and was somehow also known as Gower
3) The 1909 St Kilda player is the same person as the Brunswick player “Gower Ross” - Adam Gower Sutherland de Ross (1890–1917) in which case we have a previously unidentified VFL player who died in WWI

Few extra details:
1) All of the family seem to be referred to as Ross rather than de Ross in news articles
2) I have found no evidence of any permit for a Ross/de Ross in Trove searches
3) Hubert Dalmore de Ross got married and has his first child (of 13) in early 1909 – the same year he is recorded as playing VFL football
4) As far as I can tell, Gower Ross played for Brunswick from 1910 to 1915

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this one....

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
I stumbled across Gower Ross at the VFA Project website and thought the name sounded familiar – he came up in the players who served in war thread. He died in World War I and the article linked to in this post clearly identifies him as a Brunswick player who served in Flying Corps and died on his first flight.

The reference on the VFA Project site to him playing for St Kilda triggered a query for me though – he is not one of the VFL players known to have died in war.

Using published dates of birth/death (see Wikipedia) for the VFL player I found that they are those of Hubert Dalmore de Ross (the Brunswick player Gower Ross’s older brother)

1) The player "Ross" for St Kilda in 1909 has been misidentified and is neither of the two brothers (he is clearly named as Ross in match reports but I have found no reference to "Gower" so far)
2) The 1909 St Kilda player was Hubert Dalmore de Ross (1885-1955) and was somehow also known as Gower
3) The 1909 St Kilda player is the same person as the Brunswick player “Gower Ross” - Adam Gower Sutherland de Ross (1890–1917) in which case we have a previously unidentified VFL player who died in WWI

Few extra details:
1) All of the family seem to be referred to as Ross rather than de Ross in news articles
3) Hubert Dalmore de Ross got married and has his first child (of 13) in early 1909 – the same year he is recorded as playing VFL football

Oh man, how have I never heard about The VFA Project before? I knew about the Gap Chess Club site and use it a bit, but not this... are the two affiliated? Is there a BF thread for The VFA Project?

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

Few extra details:

Here's a permit for G. Ross going from St Kilda to Brunswick in May 1910:- https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/10857425

Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Oh man, how have I never heard about The VFA Project before? I knew about the Gap Chess Club site and use it a bit, but not this... are the two affiliated? Is there a BF thread for The VFA Project?
It is a great new resource - see Michael Riley's original BF post here
Hopefully soon match results from all seasons from 1877 onwards will be up - I've been helping upload into dB

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Thanks Daics - strongly leaning towards option 3 in the above list now!
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/66826222 (27 May 1910)

Brunswick induced M'Kenzie to take the field again, and tried Ross and Cazaly, formerly of St. Kilda.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/155071833 (April 1916)

FOOTBALLER BECOMES AVIATOR
Mr. Gower Ross, who is well known as a prominent member of the Brunswick football team, has enlisted in London as a member of the Imperial Aviators' Corps.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2000
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong

Few extra details:

I believe AGS de Ross is the player involved, and therefore we have another incorrectly identified VFL player. Hubert's name should be replaced by that of Adam Gower Sutherland [de] Ross.

AGS is listed on Ancestry pages in the UK WW1 records as a member of the Royal Flying Corps.

When Hubert's death notice appeared in The Age on 1 Sept 1955, his given name is listed as Hubert,
and his family also listed in one of the notices includes a son named Gower.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=2wAzAAAAIBAJ&sjid=6JQDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5970,77285

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I believe AGS de Ross is the player involved, and therefore we have another incorrectly identified VFL player. Hubert's name should be replaced by that of Adam Gower Sutherland [de] Ross.

AGS is listed on Ancestry pages in the UK WW1 records as a member of the Royal Flying Corps.

When Hubert's death notice appeared in The Age on 1 Sept 1955, his given name is listed as Hubert,
and his family also listed in one of the notices includes a son named Gower.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=2wAzAAAAIBAJ&sjid=6JQDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5970,77285
I think the AFL have the right name for this player (they are calling him Gower rather than Hubert) but they absolutely have the wrong DOB and DOD for him. Either way, (more) superb work by WHL!

Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I think the AFL have the right name for this player (they are calling him Gower rather than Hubert) but they absolutely have the wrong DOB and DOD for him. Either way, (more) superb work by WHL!
I've emailed Stephen Rodgers with this - will let you know when I hear back

Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I've emailed Stephen Rodgers with this - will let you know when I hear back
Response from Stephen Rodgers below - AFL records are being updated.

...regarding the Gower Ross situation.

I'm in at the AFL today, and just going thru the old clearance book, I couldn't find a clearance for him for St k to Bruns in May 1910 - as you noted; he was in VFA clearances at that time. Weird that he didn't have an outgoing clearance , from the VFL (although I know there are other cases like this) - maybe that added to the initial confusion over the name!

Barb Cullen has just been in, trying to get her head around this! - (because, I think you know, she 'finished' the KIA plaques for the AFL!!
Will still try to manage it somehow!)

She was just wondering please, do you have a record of G.Ross's Brunswick career (just years, games and goals) - as she will 'add that in' to any future references to him.

Regards,
SR

Michael Riley

Team Captain
Jun 17, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Brighton VFA

Michael Riley

Team Captain
Jun 17, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Brighton VFA
Fitzroy Round 10 1937
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1937/061119370626.html

I believe Les Hughson played and not Mick Hughson

Age League Teams has "L.Hughson" Friday before the game.
TEAMS FOR TO-MORROW. (1937, June 25). The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), p. 5. Retrieved December 16, 2017, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article203872115

Age League teams for the following week does not list Hughson as an alteration to the team
TEAMS FOR TO-MORROW. (1937, July 2). The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), p. 14. Retrieved December 16, 2017, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article205567833

Third... I believe that this is possibly a team photo from that game
http://www.boylesfootballphotos.net.au/Fitzroy+Senior+Team+1936+(FBLHS+S36-1)
This photo cannot be 1936. Either Frank Curcio or Doug Nicholls played in every game in 1936 and neither are in the photo.

And all players appear to match the homegame in Round 10...apart from the fact that it is Les Hughson (Far right centre row).
Back: Alf Callick, Unknown, Unknown. Bill Multimer, Dinny Ryan, Bill Lowenthal, Unknown
Centre: R. 'Jock'.McKenzie, Wally Gray, B.Treweek, Unknown (T.Williams), Haydn Bunton, Unknown, Horrie Dawson, Les Hughson
Front: Micky Sharp, Unknown, Wilfred Smallhorn

If it is Tommy Williams in the centre of the photo then I cannot match this photo to any game?

Last edited:
Back