Delisted Lochie O'Brien [rookied by Carlton]

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to give him another year at the Blues. He is our best field kick and runs all day. Has strengths that in a good system could excel
Yup agree, I’d give an opportunity to Vossy to see what he can, he just may be able to convert Lochie into a serviceable player.
Let’s hope it works

Guys like Amon and Seedsman actually showed some slow linear growth for years to get where they are now. Seedsman had his best season at 29, Amon at 26. LOB is still only 21. He might have had fewer peaks in his first couple of years, but how much is that down to development and being rawer than the average first round draftee.

Thanks for a pretty informative post.

Just on this though, what I meant was more you could see development physically in these guys. While they didn't nail performance instantly, they were improving year on year, even just with condition and size. I haven't really seen the same with O'Brien, and it's starting to be enough pre seasons to be concerning.

You're probably right though that the reward of him coming on outweighs any trade value.

Thanks for a pretty informative post.

Just on this though, what I meant was more you could see development physically in these guys. While they didn't nail performance instantly, they were improving year on year, even just with condition and size. I haven't really seen the same with O'Brien, and it's starting to be enough pre seasons to be concerning.

You're probably right though that the reward of him coming on outweighs any trade value.
Almost all his development has been around the contest and physicality in the VFL. He is genuinely one of the best kicks you'll see and a supreme runner which is what he displays at AFL level whenever he plays, but its very difficult to see his development as Teague preferred picking hard nuts with limited skill over him due to his flaws. If you watch him in the VFL he has definitely been taking steps each year regarding that. The damage he does with 20 touches is A grade, but he gets outbodied too often which results in turnovers/goals and reduces his impact on the game dramatically on what could be an extra 4-5 touches a game which would imo secure his spot as best 22.

No way we should delist him, runs hard, and from what I saw the team just wasn't giving it to him enough on the outside. Never going to be a contested beast, but not everyone has to be. As we saw at the end of the season, got given game time and his delivery to Harry McKay was top notch.

Do we even have any wingers? Walsh can play there, but that would be a waste, and Cottrel/Newnes are stop gap measures at best.

Also have heard the club has tried to trade him the last two years, so perhaps he doesn't want to sign on due to that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are in need of a young up and coming winger but this guy is Patrick Naish lite.

Someone will take a punt on him as a rookie in the hope he makes it just because he was a top ten pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back