London 2012 - Field Hockey

Remove this Banner Ad

I love it when a team doesn't live up to expectations there are plenty lining up to take a sh*t on them and label them chokers.

They couldn't have been beaten by a very good team who was just better on the day, no they had to had choked obviously.

**** off

Isn't that the definition of choking? ;)

I'm not an expert but I think the fact that Australia has won the past four champions trophies and have a history of under performing at the Olympics warrants a little bit of criticism.

If Australia had won, would that mean Germany choked? Being defending Olympic Champions and with a good recent record against Australia and all that.

I'm not an expert
Don't worry, you're not the only one who doesn't let that get in the way.

Choking to me is when a team has a big lead in a game and blows it or loses a big game against a much lower opposition. Not losing a close knockout game to a very good team. Germany are the defending champions of this tournament and have won two World Cups in the last 10 years. We didn't lose to South Africa here.

How many times were the Kookaburras favorites going into the Olympics in the last 40 years? Not living up to expectations doesn't mean a team choked. Sometimes you just get beat by a good team on the day. In such a low scoring game the little things can be the difference on the day.

I'm gutted right now but I'm not going to hang sh*t on the team just because they lost one major tournament in the last 3 years.

Same goes for the women's basketball team.They were the favourites in a country of 220 million lol and we still nearly beat them!
That's a massive talent pool in their favour yet we were in front at half time!!!!!!
That's awesome by our women.

Germany a country of 80 million and all the resources that goes with a developed country of that population.

I was gutted we lost but we didn't choke.
They were the better team.

If Australia had won, would that mean Germany choked? Being defending Olympic Champions and with a good recent record against Australia and all that.

Don't worry, you're not the only one who doesn't let that get in the way.

I can see both sides of the argument. But I would love to know what the live odds were when Australia was up 2-1. It's not the fact that they lost it's how they lost (conceding 3 goals in 9 minutes). Who would've seen that coming?

Anyone who'd seen their pool games?

I saw the games versus South Africa and Spain where the Kookaburras looked invincible. Can't comment on the others but regardless Germany scoring three times (plus the one that was disallowed) in nine minutes shouldn't happen in an Olympic semi-final.

Was out there at the Riverbank yesterday. Great atmosphere, a load of Germans, probably outnumbered us Aussie fans. Thought we had it in the bag at 2-1 up. But you can't say the Germans didn't deserve it, they were immense in the second half. They played with a lot of passion and just overwhelmed us.

Very disappointing but a great experience personally none the less.

I saw the games versus South Africa and Spain where the Kookaburras looked invincible. Can't comment on the others but regardless Germany scoring three times (plus the one that was disallowed) in nine minutes shouldn't happen in an Olympic semi-final.
They let Argentina get back to 2-2 from 2-0 at half time, and GBR back to 3-3 from 3-0, so the second half fadeout was an unfortunate feature of their tournament. Maybe you get away with it against South Africa and Spain, but Germany were good enough to take full advantage of it. I don't know why it happened, but Germany's 3rd and 4th goals were scored by players basically unmarked in attack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh well, if it's any consolation you've got one of the best usernames on the forum Doodles. :thumbsu:

Was interested that this rule didn't get a mention after the German's winning goal:

9.14 Players must not intentionally enter the goal their opponents
are defending or run behind either goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back