Coach Luke Beveridge & the Dogs - is his time up? Where are they at?

Is Luke Beveridge’s time up at the Bulldogs?

• Yes

Votes: 269 84.1%
  • No

Votes: 51 15.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's too tall. One of Darcy/Naughton has to go back take your pick. Bring in another crumber or small. The lack of defensive pressure from all 3 of those is a HUGE issue. They don't even have a small forward down there, Weightman isn't really a true small he's a marking small.

I don't disagree that it is too tall, but if they do move Naughton back the forward line is even worse, it's a lose lose situation because Bevo just doesn't have the cattle for a proper fwd and back structure.

I feel like Bevo is a coach who has been let down by his list managers and is short a couple of quality talls and just overall lacking talent in the backline.

Lets use your swans (Who are flying at the moment) as an example. I've swapped your fwd line and backline with the dogs.

Where would this list finish - Definitely not top spot, or even top 4...I'd argue this list is probably bottom 8 regardless of where you put Naughton.

1714982208142.png

I don't disagree that it is too tall, but if they do move Naughton back the forward line is even worse, it's a lose lose situation because Bevo just doesn't have the cattle for a proper fwd and back structure.

I feel like Bevo is a coach who has been let down by his list managers and is short a couple of quality talls and just overall lacking talent in the backline.

Lets use your swans (Who are flying at the moment) as an example. I've swapped your fwd line and backline with the dogs.

Where would this list finish - Definitely not top spot, or even top 4...I'd argue this list is probably bottom 8 regardless of where you put Naughton.

View attachment 1981357

Issue is they have neglected smalls all the way through and there’s another one in the VFL. Honestly if I were them I’d be listening to every deal possible for Naughton have a mini rebuild get some smalls the game has gone past needing that many talls. It’s all about defensive pressure and skill. Their mid Bont aside is terrible. Libba is fine but let’s not pretend he’s an elite kick

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1124875

hell of a bum ankle.

jokes aside, how he handled this is a genuine disgrace & any reasonable board member should’ve sacked him already
Gees, he should have been off after this one, clearly dazed. The last one was terrifying the way it happened, and ofthe coach is giving the directive to keep him on, he should be in the shit. If that was my son I’d be furious.

Gees, he should have been off after this one, clearly dazed. The last one was terrifying the way it happened, and ofthe coach is giving the directive to keep him on, he should be in the s**t. If that was my son I’d be furious.
Why would the coach be giving that directive?
You think he's sitting there watching slow mo replays of every collision?

Our medical team should have serious questions asked, but that's irrelevant to the coach

The most overrated group of players we've ever seen. I can't wait for Footy Classified to tell us once again how star studded this team is and how they should be top 2.

Thing is though, so many players have the runs on the board. The whole is less than the sum of its parts.

Clearly either Bevo’s message is getting old, or he’s not up it anymore.

Not sure if the Dogs board is up to it, but hard choices need to be made.

The most overrated group of players we've ever seen. I can't wait for Footy Classified to tell us once again how star studded this team is and how they should be top 2.
Silly comment.

I’d take 4 players from the Dogs list before I contemplated taking anyone other than Daicos from the Pies.

Bont
Naughton
JUH
Darcy

And then they’ve got players like Dale, Libba, Macrae, Jones, English, Treloar, Daniel, Richards, Williams, Duryea who are genuinely very good AFL players that he’s not getting the best out of from week to week as a collective.

I think they are better than Hawthorn but Hawthorn had also been pathetic this year, they actually played with intensity and effort last night. It was clearly their best performance of the year.

Backline - Horrible
Mids - Top tier great but no depth anymore which used to be their strength
Forwards - Young and full of potential. Weightman was a huge loss last night when combined with West also.
Balance - Bad in age, height and speed.

I saw Kane Cornes say they have more weapons than any other team in the league. I'm not sure what he classes as a weapon but this list has less weapons than GWS, Brisbane, Melbourne, Carlton, Geelong, Sydney and Collingwood.
Fireman Cornes just hates Bevo. He talks up the list to have a crack at him. No way he actually believes it.

We’ve got some very impressive young talent and some good old mids but a lot of our very good players from 2019-21 (Daniel, Dale, Macrae, JJ) are getting on and list cloggers like Baker, Bramble and Poulter are taking us nowhere.

Unlikely Bevo survives this. A fair bit to start with for whoever inherits the list but it won’t be ready day one.

Thing is though, so many players have the runs on the board. The whole is less than the sum of its parts.

Clearly either Bevo’s message is getting old, or he’s not up it anymore.

Not sure if the Dogs board is up to it, but hard choices need to be made.

He's a bit of a cooked unit Bevo. The message is probably from a philosophical smurfs episode.

Silly comment.

I’d take 4 players from the Dogs list before I contemplated taking anyone other than Daicos from the Pies.

Bont
Naughton
JUH
Darcy

And then they’ve got players like Dale, Libba, Macrae, Jones, English, Treloar, Daniel, Richards, Williams, Duryea who are genuinely very good AFL players that he’s not getting the best out of from week to week as a collective.
You write silly comment and drop all that afterward? Daniel is so good he’s playing VFL but yep, he’s still a very good AFL player.

You’re looking at the draft picks players were taken at and not the actual form on the table. Why are the Bulldogs rated so highly on the back of Jamarra and Darcy being regular forwards for them? Their form is nowhere near consistent enough to be a top performing team. Naughton is an above average key forward who has proven to not have the X-factor that the best forwards have.

Dale is a run of the mill half-back who has found recent form. Most clubs have running defenders as good if not better. Macrae is a good player but at the wrong club. Bevo’s choice not to play him in the primary midfield trio is justified. Richards, Duryea, Williams; yeah cool, every club has players at their level.

It’s a middling list that has been middling for a few years. 2021 was a serious overachievement as evidenced by every other year they’ve had since 2016.

Bevo is done as a coach and needs to go, but the new coach will be walking into a list that needs work and time. They aren’t that good.

You write silly comment and drop all that afterward? Daniel is so good he’s playing VFL but yep, he’s still a very good AFL player.

You’re looking at the draft picks players were taken at and not the actual form on the table. Why are the Bulldogs rated so highly on the back of Jamarra and Darcy being regular forwards for them? Their form is nowhere near consistent enough to be a top performing team. Naughton is an above average key forward who has proven to not have the X-factor that the best forwards have.

Dale is a run of the mill half-back who has found recent form. Most clubs have running defenders as good if not better. Macrae is a good player but at the wrong club. Bevo’s choice not to play him in the primary midfield trio is justified. Richards, Duryea, Williams; yeah cool, every club has players at their level.

It’s a middling list that has been middling for a few years. 2021 was a serious overachievement as evidenced by every other year they’ve had since 2016.

Bevo is done as a coach and needs to go, but the new coach will be walking into a list that needs work and time. They aren’t that good.
All this post tells me is that you can’t identify talent. All you see is form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Issue is they have neglected smalls all the way through and there’s another one in the VFL. Honestly if I were them I’d be listening to every deal possible for Naughton have a mini rebuild get some smalls the game has gone past needing that many talls. It’s all about defensive pressure and skill. Their mid Bont aside is terrible. Libba is fine but let’s not pretend he’s an elite kick
Libba was rated our best kick by champion data last year. Anyway we'll be lucky to see him again after his concussion.

Libba was rated our best kick by champion data last year. Anyway we'll be lucky to see him again after his concussion.

Surely Bont and Dale are at worst better, I never pay attention to champion data anyway, eye test usually is better.

Hopefully he stays on until North play them.

In all seriousness I think the board will wait until finals is ruled out then move him on.

I had them at around the same mark as Geelong heading in 2024. Finishing anywhere between 6th - 10th spot.
Their midfield is still top shelf.
Libba, Smith, Bont, Macrae, Treloar, Williams is a terrific centre-line with English in ruck. The loss of Smith did not help. He gives them outside run and x factor.
I expected Poulter to improve again after showing promising signs but he's done nothing. Sanders will be a gun though.

Forward line is too selfish. They don't play for one another. West is really the only bloke who will opt to give it off if he gets an opportunity to do so.
Back-line is terrible and has been since Brian Lake departed. Bit like Carlton's back-line with only one quality defender and a makeshift unit of scrappers.

A lot of senior players gone backwards and the younger brigade can't pickup the slack.

I had them at around the same mark as Geelong heading in 2024. Finishing anywhere between 6th - 10th spot.
Its probably where they will still finish.

Their midfield is still top shelf. Libba, Smith, Bont, Macrae, Treloar, Williams is a terrific centre-line with English in ruck. The loss of Smith did not help. He gives them outside run and x factor. Sanders will be a gun though.

Who is Williams? Bailey Williams?

Take Smith and now Libba out of that and its very shallow. Especially with Macrae no where near his form of 2 or 3 years ago. He had a few very poor efforts highlighted late in that game.

Bontempelli's game was fantastic yesterday again. 26 and 2 goals. Most contested possessions, most score involvements. Took that huge mark and goal to turn the momentum but he cant do it alone. Im sure Sanders will come back in now.

Its probably where they will still finish.

Who is Williams? Bailey Williams?

Take Smith and now Libba out of that and its very shallow. Especially with Macrae no where near his form of 2 or 3 years ago. He had a few very poor efforts highlighted late in that game.

Bontempelli's game was fantastic yesterday again. 26 and 2 goals. Most contested possessions, most score involvements. Took that huge mark and goal to turn the momentum but he cant do it alone. Im sure Sanders will come back in now.

Bont is top-shelf, Libba a great hardball clearance player, Treloar and Macrae a pretty solid supporting cast. Most of them aren't great defensive runners though, which kills them when they don't win the clearance game.

English also isn't a great tap ruckman which hurts when their game is so reliant on winning clearances.

They're not well balanced, but they're also not poor and Bont is as gamebreaking a midfielder as exists in the AFL right now. They just seem to rely on a heap of individual performers dragging them over the line instead of a team that's greater than the sum of it's parts, which is at-odds with how modern football works.

The entire team is playing in a desultory sort of way. Not much the coach can do anymore when the team lacks any purpose. The Dogs are stagnate.

Not pick the same guys and expect different results would be one?

Not leave your best player on the bench twidling his thumb for 2/3 of the last quarter in back to back games...if Bont needs a rest put him FWD...he'd kick it better than JUH anyway!

Then we have the structure...Carlton smalls are bad...well the Dogs ones are worse! The fact that Vandermeer is their small says it all

Back