FTA-TV Luke Darcy shouldn't be commentating

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
It's an indictment on our game that this person is allowed to commentate finals matches when he just doesn't have the voice for it. He mumbles general play, and his voice breaks when he tries to sound excited during a game highlight. From the outside it looks like the worst case of 'jobs for the boys' in AFL media, because there is no way he's the most qualified person available.

He is not a bad bloke but he sure is one of worst commentators ever.
I can handle him on a half serious show like Talking Footy but to have him teamed up with Brian Taylor and Matthew Richardson on tv during a game is the worst commentator team I ever heard. It actually takes away from my enjoyment. Wish I had Foxtel so did not need to listen to Darcy during a game. I cannot recall him even saying anything to give insight into the game. He is very very ordinary for someone that played league football. Give me Matthew Lloyd or Leigh Matthews making special comments over him any day of the week.

• Banned
I think he's alright. People like you wouldn't be happy no matter who commentates

This goes beyond a matter of opinion or taste. There are commentators who annoy me with their various sayings and so forth, Darcy's problem is that he doesn't have the voicebox for play by play commentary. Maybe if he didn't try to sound excitable then his range wouldn't be tested, but he just doesn't have a good loud voice.

He is not a bad bloke but he sure is one of worst commentators ever.
I can handle him on a half serious show like Talking Footy but to have him teamed up with Brian Taylor and Matthew Richardson on tv during a game is the worst commentator team I ever heard. It actually takes away from my enjoyment. Wish I had Foxtel so did not need to listen to Darcy during a game. I cannot recall him even saying anything to give insight into the game. He is very very ordinary for someone that played league football. Give me Matthew Lloyd or Leigh Matthews making special comments over him any day of the week.
Even with Foxtel you have to put up with him.
It's a shame the new rights deal didn't allow fox to have their own commentators for seven produced games. But then if they did, how would we know what's trending on Twitter, or what's on Presto....

It's an indictment on our game that this person is allowed to commentate finals matches when he just doesn't have the voice for it. He mumbles general play, and his voice breaks when he tries to sound excited during a game highlight. From the outside it looks like the worst case of 'jobs for the boys' in AFL media, because there is no way he's the most qualified person available.
3v6wd.gif

Personally I don't like the guy that's proberbly why I have an issue with his commentary. He sucks up to everyone to much doesn't have an original thought and always seems to take the populist side of any discussion or issue.
Wayne Carey on the other hand I dislike as well but enjoy that's he's not afraid to tell it how it is sure he says dumb things but to me a lot of it is thought provoking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the problem (well there's a few) is when he does play-by-play stuff he'll say somebody's name and spiel a few facts about that player, and by the time he's finished he's missed a couple of bits of play. and he has that ******* upwards inflection at the end of every sentence

If he's not an utter douchebag he will do until we find one.

Sought of bloke that if someone said "did you hear Luke Darcy was hit by a car"? You'd start picking your nose and answer '"gee that's a shame".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back