Player Watch Luke Nankervis - Debut!

Do you think the AFC coaches will pick Luke Nankervis in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Michalanney played from round 1.

Rachele & Soligo played from round 1.

Curtin I suspect will play round 1.

I don't think Edwards will play round 1, but imo likely to play during next season.

I think that's a pretty safe assumption if Curtin is healthy as our tall defender stocks are looking pretty suspect without Murray and we've tended to like an early debut for our first round picks as TT was by round 6 and Fish was a also round 1 debut.

I would be kind of surprised if Edwards doesn't end up as a year 2 debutant. I think we'll go Dowling first there.

I have to also give this guy some love. Other than Michalanney (100% DE) and Cook (100% DE but 4 disposals) Nankervis had the next best DE on the ground.

He takes the game on, breaks games open and has 94% disposal efficiency! ELITE.

Max and him are a big reason we won yesterday.

View attachment 1977700
But apparently with young players you’re going to get mistakes in pressure games. A couple of mistakes against Essendon was all it took for one of our posters to try and push this line

Nankervis for me is the poster child of why you need to back in young talented players.

He's clearly had "it" since he started playing, but to me always looked a touch nervous, like he was waiting for the axe to fall. But over the last couple of weeks I've seen his confidence grow to the point where he looks very much at home. He no longer looks like a player who is concerned he could be dropped at any moment, and instead looks like a player who knows that he belongs at the level. Or more specifically, he knows that his coaches and teammates believe that he belongs at the level.

He's going to make a few errors along the way (getting caught HTB etc), but he gives 110% effort and has the skills, athleticism and dare to back it up. He's one of very few players on our list who will always try to smother when he's the man on the mark, or who will go in hard even when he's late to the ball just in case it spills out, etc. He does all of those little one-percenters that maybe pay off once or twice a match and can end up being the difference in the end.

Few small errors last night, but overall you can tell the ceiling is high. If he puts on a bit more bulk I honestly see midfield potential

Nank is a favourite of mine, the thing that separates him from The others is his skills. Skills that are great under pressure and he makes smart decisions for a guy that’s played so little, should not be dropped.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There are players who appear to move in slow motion and the seas just part for them. Then there are players who actually move in slow motion.

Luke is currently more of the latter than the former, but he gets it right as often as he gets run down standing still without realising a player is on him. Will become better and better as he gets used to AFL pressure and time critical tasks.

Very small chance he becomes an elite player, gotta commit and put games into him and see

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are players who appear to move in slow motion and the seas just part for them. Then there are players who actually move in slow motion.

Luke is currently more of the latter than the former,
but he gets it right as often as he gets run down standing still without realising a player is on him. Will become better and better as he gets used to AFL pressure and time critical tasks.

Very small chance he becomes an elite player, gotta commit and put games into him and see
This is just horse s**t. Rash is an example of a guy who sometimes moves in slow motion and gets caught.

Nanks ability to work in a phone booth is already elite.

This is just horse s**t. Rash is an example of a guy who sometimes moves in slow motion and gets caught.

Rachele is seen to move in slow motion as he is trying to find an disposal to advantage, there's countless example he is very quick when there is (like that between the leg handball he did last week). Sometimes there isn't one and he should just bomb the ball Laird style.

Subjectively: I like him and think he's gonna be good. Potentially great. However... He's currently "okay" to "decent" when you look at the whole package. Just because he plays for the crows didn't mean he's gonna be the best player ever and anyone who disagrees is blind.

Objectively: He's got the awareness of Gallagher at times. He gets run-down semi regularly, for every good sidestep there's about as many unforced errors from moving at glacial pace and not looking around.

His passes (particularly by hand) are often loopier than they need to be and slow the player receiving them considerably. He's not quite leading the receiver enough. He's done some really nice low-percentage passes that are brilliant, but equally some dreadful turnovers/crappy decisions/execution of less pressure kicks.

His defensive efforts have been very good.

All in all he wouldn't be getting games at a number of other clubs and still has a way to go. I think he'll be an excellent pickup and glad we're putting games into him, but we all need to take the blinkers off a bit. He's an incomplete package.

Disagree completely

Very calm under pressure. Gets out of some very tight spots

Hallmarks of a good player. Usually inexperienced players panic and rush (also some veterans... :rolleyes: ) until they feel comfortable but he's acclimatised quickly

Occasionally has been caught but so does every player, plus he takes care of his disposal and takes time to have a look

Laird doesn't get caught by instantly hack-kicking it the second he gets it but I know what I prefer

Disagree completely

Very calm under pressure. Gets out of some very tight spots

Hallmarks of a good player. Usually inexperienced players panic and rush (also some veterans... :rolleyes: ) until they feel comfortable but he's acclimatised quickly

Occasionally has been caught but so does every player, plus he takes care of his disposal and takes time to have a look

Laird doesn't get caught by instantly hack-kicking it the second he gets it but I know what I prefer
Yep, he’s acclimatised very well to AFL and seems a natural. I trust him more than I do some of our experienced players. Offers a lot of versatility too

Objectively: He's got the awareness of Gallagher at times. He gets run-down semi regularly, for every good sidestep there's about as many unforced errors from moving at glacial pace and not looking around

I haven't seen this glacial pace. I think he sometimes looks a little laconic and without comparing his football ability to him, but moves a little like pendles.

Also disagree with the awareness comment. I really believe he just hasn't caught up to the pace of AFL football yet. He seems to a little frantic in certain situations and looks rushed. As the game slows down this will change IMO.

His passes (particularly by hand) are often loopier than they need to be and slow the player receiving them considerably. He's not quite leading the receiver enough. He's done some really nice low-percentage passes that are brilliant, but equally some dreadful turnovers/crappy decisions/execution of less pressure kicks.

His defensive efforts have been very good.

He is also just 10 games into his career, mistakes are gonna happen.

All in all he wouldn't be getting games at a number of other clubs and still has a way to go. I think he'll be an excellent pickup and glad we're putting games into him, but we all need to take the blinkers off a bit. He's an incomplete package.

I dont think anyone has gone too crazy on here. Has done a bunch right and really looks to have some traits that will make him a successful AFL footballer.

I really like the way he moves once he gets rid of the footy and also makes a real effort to keep the hands free whenever he gets possession of the pill. Seems to have a real high footy IQ.

I just want them to persist with him. Slow burn but with huge upside.

He can turn on a dime, he fast, good core strength, decent disposal, good overhead, repeat efforts. The list goes on

He's just not consistent, but he's young. On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was baffling that we saw that performance vs Port and then immediately turfed him from the 22

Back