Remove this Banner Ad

Robin Hood

Club Legend
Suspended
Jul 10, 2004
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Obviously we are in a better position to lure a big name player via trade cos players like successful teams where they think they can have a shot at a flag. Who would you guys take?

Frankly , Im sick to death of us being looked on as the "bum in the soup line at the Salvo's".Im sick of us being "the dog thats chasing the car wheel" doomed to never catch but close enough to it that we get bruised or squashed.
WE ARE GEELONG , if the those latte slurping, BMW driving, metrosexual football dollarites dont see us as place they should be honoured to be at and to play for then , up theirs.
Every player we get through the draft, every young player we get to the club that might have been in the system but has not established their position that take to the field in the hoops are proud to be at our club.

NO MORE SOUP LINE DRAFTING

If a player shows he is not willing to come to Geelong but keen on us,wants to wear the hoops etc. then perhaps we will talk but no more wheel chasing.
Lets get the best kid in the draft. Buy the seed , sit back and wait for the harvest.

The only "key forwards" i would want are Tredrea and Brown, the rest wouldn't be worth the expense.

Stick with what we've got, try to develop kids through the draft, and cross our fingers.

• Banned
phatandphreaky said:
The only "key forwards" i would want are Tredrea and Brown, the rest wouldn't be worth the expense.

Stick with what we've got, try to develop kids through the draft, and cross our fingers.
But will we get anything worth while with our first round pick which assuming 3 priority picks (HAW, RICH, WB) Geelong's first pick (assuming finishing 4th) would be 15th. Is that going to net us someone good?

Robin Hood said:
But will we get anything worth while with our first round pick which assuming 3 priority picks (HAW, RICH, WB) Geelong's first pick (assuming finishing 4th) would be 15th. Is that going to net us someone good?

Pray that Mr Hawkins has an immediate impact in a couple of years ;)

If we end up with pick 15 we should take a ruckman. King is our only genuine AFL standard ruck and the only other player on our list capable of becoming one is Blake.

I've never seen him play but from what I have read the falcons ruckman, Meesan, sounds good. Would he still be around at 15?

Unwritten_Law said:
I've never seen him play but from what I have read the falcons ruckman, Meesan, sounds good. Would he still be around at 15?

It's actually Meesen.

I've been a huge fan of Johnny for a good two years. He is a ruckman, but also is equally good as a forward, and is capable as a key defender.

His stocks are rising, but i think he should still be there at pick 15.

I don't think we need a ruckman that badly. Mark Blake has all the talent, and will be somewhat ready by next season.

phatandphreaky said:
It's actually Meesen.

I've been a huge fan of Johnny for a good two years. He is a ruckman, but also is equally good as a forward, and is capable as a key defender.

His stocks are rising, but i think he should still be there at pick 15.

I don't think we need a ruckman that badly. Mark Blake has all the talent, and will be somewhat ready by next season.
I wouldnt mind taking Messen with the first rounder (say #15) but limiting the drafting of tall fowards/ruckman. I wouldnt suggest drafting a pure ruckman, I think we have too many on our list. Chambers, Loats, King, Blake - Chambers will likely go and I think three is a balanced number.

I think the list needs another Darren Milburn type to play defence. I think Callan seems to be the obvious person to take over from Sanderson and Milburn is starting to age (is he 27 now?) so may have anywhere between 3-6 years left in him. I think if we had a replacement Dasher who could spend a couple of years developing and then having a crack at the senior side. So I'd pick a Darren Milburn with the second rounder (say #31).

With the third rounder (say #47) i'd take a smokey someone that has the potential but just necessarily hasn't expressed it. My concern is that we will have too many servicable talls that can play a decent role but not a superstar role. Kingsley, Graham, McCarthy, Playfair etc all provide a bit but aren't that super goal kicker.

This smokey could be anyone with or without experience. Livingstone of Carlton (#4 2000 Draft), Bo Nixon (Collingwood) are possible delistings, possibly even Angwin (if were desperate) or a kid who has been injured a fair bit over the last couple of years.

I think the weekend showed with Koula and Dylan Smith both high draft picks and recycled picks showing that a change of environment can do them a world of good. I'd prefer to take a tall forward that hasnt progressed as expected - preferably recycled. I think that our forward structure is going to need Benny Graham to play a decent role for us to win a flag. He draws a good defender and can play (sometimes! :D ) so really takes the pressure off other guys. So to achieve this we need someone who can stand up over the next 2-3 years and play a decent role - not necessarily a 50+ goal kicker but a key forward that can kick 20-30 a season to provide a target.

Unwritten_Law said:
We would need a ruckman if we chopped Loats, Chambers and Smith as I hope they do.
I wouldnt be surprised if Chambers and Jeff Smith do but dont think Loats is gone. I think Loats has another year at Geelong to prove himself.

Iposted this in the draft area :
I would like the Cats to focus on Rucks/Tall forwards/ mids / backs in that order. That being said if Griffen fell over with OP or something and drops thru to us , Id pick him as I think the best players in the draft are mids. That really wont happen but it would not supprise to see somone highly touted drop thru. Meesen or Deluca then Woods ,one of those should be there at 15ish.If Kirkby or McLean if still there at that as well it changes things, even Jarrad Moore a top mid player might be the sort to fall thru might be a top pick as I rate him T10.

Since posting this , I have seen the V's play a couple of time and our depth in mids is certainly down, probably because of injuries and we seem unbalanced in our tall/small ratio.We have a need to add quality to our big man dept not more numbers, if we cant get a gun tall it may be best to top up with the best mids, like Ess did last year, but

The reason I favour going for a quality long term ruckman is
1, When you dont have an imediate need for a style of player is the excact time to top up with it! Crazy? No, it will take years for say Meesen to be Kings standard and by that time King might be like BG now playing well but how do we know?
2, King as a young ruckman was played, almost flogged by THompson because there was no apparent replacement he could trust.The ideal would be that Blake and a Meesen could develop together , resting one another.
3.Big guys are more tradeable, even when they have not set the world on fire.If a VFL player of 185 that had been on our list for 5 years got the same trade as Street?. NO

Paul Johnson who is currently on the west coast list i reckon would definately be worth a shot. He's a tall ruckman/forward who was very highly rated in the 2002 draft.
He is originally from victoria so there is the lure of coming home and due to injury he has been overtaken by the likes of cox, seaby, hanson and mcdougall. Due to this i think we could get him rather cheaply.
His stats:
Guernsey Number: 42
Height 199 cm
Weight: 100 kg
Recruited From: Dandenong Stingrays
Debut: 2003
Date of Birth: 26 June 1984

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind Johnson, but to blame injury for his inability to get a game, is misleading. He had plenty of opportunities when fit, but still wasn't able to make it.

I said on the Eagles Board when he was drafted that his TAC form flattered him because he was a man up against boys, i think that has been borne out by his career to date.

He might still make it, but isn't a player you would want to be giving up much for (if anything).

Unwritten_Law said:
We would need a ruckman if we chopped Loats, Chambers and Smith as I hope they do.

Loats and Chambers are both contracted for 2005, and Smith isn't a ruckmans ****************.

I'm more concerned about defensive key position players than forwards. IMO there's two or three candidates who yet might produce the goods up front, but down the back, their doesn't appear to be any real backup to Harley or Scarlett.

Jim Boy said:
I'm more concerned about defensive key position players than forwards. IMO there's two or three candidates who yet might produce the goods up front, but down the back, their doesn't appear to be any real backup to Harley or Scarlett.

Fair Point, infact I heard Cook say something similar on KROCK on Sat.He said that the three areas that we could boost , were "Tall Forward" , A key Backman as we dont really have a replacement for Scarlo/Harley and I think the third was a running Half Back like a Milburn type.
Im not convinced about Spencer from what Ive seen,he's big but he's a bit leaden of foot for any real comparison to S & H. I d be more happy if we had that Egan bloke on our list , he looks to have little bit of talent with agility.

Jim Boy said:

Spot on. We've had no depth for years, both in key defenders and true small defenders.

In the last few years we've had Gerge and Bluey holding down the key defensive positions in the VFL, and this year we've turned to Foster (who i still maintain is a wingman) and Matty Egan.

They've taken to trying Lonners down there of late in an effort to develop some depth, but we still need to find another 1-2 young defenders.

phatandphreaky said:
Smith isn't a ruckmans ****************.

Every VFL game I have seen in the last two years (~6-8 games) he has spent time in the ruck. I agree that he isn't much chop but neither are Chambers or Loats. Chambers is the best of a bad lot because he has a go but none of them should be in our long term plans.

Unwritten_Law said:
Every VFL game I have seen in the last two years (~6-8 games) he has spent time in the ruck.

Smith does a little rucking, but he isn't really a ruckman, is merely a midfielder who spends a bit of time there filling in.

Loats and Chambers are true ruckman (albeit not overly good ones).

Adrian Shelton said:
Is Greaves on our AFL list?

No, he's a VFL top up only. If he were on the list, i'd love to give him a chance this week in Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back