Luring that Key Forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Robin Hood said:
Phat your comments about Byrnes/King are completely silly and I dont think you see the point.

I see the point, just don't think it has any merit whatsover.

Bring back CIAH, he made more sense ;)

GeeCat said:
Your logic was to explore player potential across the ground, so all Phat's doing is proving just how much sense your logic makes when putting it into practice.

Thankyou kind sir, i didn't have the energy to try to explain it any further.

GeeCat said:
Oh dear, honestly didn't expect you to actually agree with my Kingsley comment :eek:

Your logic was to explore player potential across the ground, so all Phat's doing is proving just how much sense your logic makes when putting it into practice.
I think it has merit within reason. Byrnes/King isnt within reason. I think that McCarthy at CHB while it may not be conventional thing may be worth a try for a quarter - I thought he did a couple of decent spoils on the weekend.

phatandphreaky said:
I see the point, just don't think it has any merit whatsover.

Bring back CIAH, he made more sense ;)
Is there any way CIAH can be brought back? Or is that username gone forever?

It's a permanent banning. I can lift it, but Fred probably wouldn't like it :)

P&P I noticed that you said on the General Talk board that you are a Law/Commerce student in your last year. Are you doing articles next year or going down the commerce stream?

Not in my last year, got a year to go.

I've pretty much given up the law side (in terms of a profession), focusing on being an accountant, which i'm qualified for already.

Robin Hood said:
oh ok. it just sounds silly that you can come back under a new name in a few months. :D

I agree, but not my decision.

I assume they've let you stay this time because you've pulled your head in on the main board. Not done anything much wrong with this name, so you're safe.

phatandphreaky said:
Not in my last year, got a year to go.

I've pretty much given up the law side (in terms of a profession), focusing on being an accountant, which i'm qualified for already.
which professional body? the society or institute?

I think Geelong should snap up Matthew Egan with one of the later picks; it's not likely any other club will take him. Then if we have a pre-season pick, take a gamble on Aaron Greaves. The club is moving into a successful period, and we shouldn't be looking at youngsters who'll maybe make it in a few years. We're looking to a genuine shot at the flag, and if a player goes down or gets suspended, we will need someone who can come straight in, NOT a project player who's not ready. This is what Geelong have done with Koula, who we got cheaply and is now playing good footy.

IMO, if guys like Koula, Egan and Greaves are on the list when we're flying it can only be a good thing, even if they only play a handful of games a year.

Nice idea, although given the smaller lists these days, i don't think we can afford to have three mature age projects on the list at the same time.

I'd love to see Greaves on the list, and i'd also like to see Egan get a chance, but don't think we can use both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rodion said:
I think Geelong should snap up Matthew Egan with one of the later picks; it's not likely any other club will take him. Then if we have a pre-season pick, take a gamble on Aaron Greaves. The club is moving into a successful period, and we shouldn't be looking at youngsters who'll maybe make it in a few years. We're looking to a genuine shot at the flag, and if a player goes down or gets suspended, we will need someone who can come straight in, NOT a project player who's not ready. This is what Geelong have done with Koula, who we got cheaply and is now playing good footy.

IMO, if guys like Koula, Egan and Greaves are on the list when we're flying it can only be a good thing, even if they only play a handful of games a year.

It is always important to have young players on ur list who you are grooming to take the roles of the senior players in the team. Stocking ur list up with older VFL players (see Richmond) does not work.

I'm not saying we should target older players exclusively. Our top draft picks should be used to get the best avaliable youngsters, that goes without saying. I just think that with Geelong moving into a successful era, we don't need to be get stuck in a 'rebuilding' mentality. I think Eagan should be one of our targets with a late draft pick and possibly Greaves if we have a pre-season pick and there's no Moloney-type players available.

Rodion said:
I'm not saying we should target older players exclusively. Our top draft picks should be used to get the best avaliable youngsters, that goes without saying. I just think that with Geelong moving into a successful era, we don't need to be get stuck in a 'rebuilding' mentality. I think Eagan should be one of our targets with a late draft pick and possibly Greaves if we have a pre-season pick and there's no Moloney-type players available.

Using the draft to recruit young kids is not a "rebuilding" mentality at all. We need to keep using the picks on kids like we have been to make sure we keep the talent coming through. Recruiting Greaves who is at best a Good VFl player has no merit. The chances of him playing AFL are slim. And the chances of him having an impact even slimmer. Egan on the otherhand is playing very well in the VFL and would certainly be worth a look at.

Egan is definitely worth a go then. Greaves.... almost 27.... hmmmmm.... how old is Jade Rawlings? Can Greaves have the same impact as someone like Rawlings? If we're willing to trade for an older player from another club.... btu the difference (and it's a BIG one) is that a player from another club has at least been seen to perform at that level. Greaves is an unknown. He might be worth our last pick or a pre-season pick if there was nothing better around. Remember, we traded away three picks for Mitchell White so we're not past doing anything stupid.... :rolleyes:

answerman said:
Egan is definitely worth a go then. Greaves.... almost 27.... hmmmmm.... how old is Jade Rawlings? Can Greaves have the same impact as someone like Rawlings? If we're willing to trade for an older player from another club.... btu the difference (and it's a BIG one) is that a player from another club has at least been seen to perform at that level. Greaves is an unknown. He might be worth our last pick or a pre-season pick if there was nothing better around. Remember, we traded away three picks for Mitchell White so we're not past doing anything stupid.... :rolleyes:
it smells like adam richardson at adeliade.

I thought Greaves was a few years younger than that. If he's going to be 27 next year it would need a singularly untalented bunch in the preseason draft for us to pick him up.

I definitely think we should give Egan a go on the list.

As for Greaves, I wouldn't want to waste too high a pick on him and would prefer seeing our young talls get a gig before he does.

The game today showed just how much we need a key forward

We could get involved in a three way deal to get someone like notting, gaspar, stenglien over to west coast and get hanson from them in return.

EG.
our 2nd round pick to brisbane
notting and our 3rd round to west coast
hanson to geelong

Tweak Talent said:
The game today showed just how much we need a key forward

We could get involved in a three way deal to get someone like notting, gaspar, stenglien over to west coast and get hanson from them in return.

EG.
our 2nd round pick to brisbane
notting and our 3rd round to west coast
hanson to geelong

don't like your chances. Hansen signed a 2 year deal with West Coast this week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back