Player Watch Lynden Dunn (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't keep Dunn becasue I think we're fine for aerial defenders, but a new kid picked at the death in the draft is very unlikely to be ready to cover as depth in Year 1. Therefore i'm happy with Reid and Varcoe. Think it makes sense if they're on cheap as chips contracts. I'm all for cheap as chips depth - veterans on minimum wage and newly drafted mature agers, rather than mid 20s guys.

We will have some players in their second and third years who should be able to step up and play some seniors ( kelly, Murphy, and whichever if the Irish kids is the tall, Quaynor) too. Hopefully some of them get some senior games, along with Langdon returning from injury.

Happy to have Reid as depth but that’s all we need. Jury out on Lynch but sounds like Cameron will come in to assist/replace him.

So why wouldn't we also keep Goldsack and Wells if that was the plan?

Who have we kept?....Varcoe and Reid (no decision yet on Dunn) both very capable of playing 15 or so games next year

You put that together and say Ah-Ha, that can only mean we are after Cameron

Yeah, nah

But at the end of 2020 when Reid, Dunn, Varcoe, and Mayne head off we'll have a few more $$$ to splash at a fish like Cameron?

But at the end of 2020 when Reid, Dunn, Varcoe, and Mayne head off we'll have a few more $$$ to splash at a fish like Cameron?

Can't imagine the departure of those 4 would free up any more than say $600k by the time you factor in 3 replacements on draftee wages. I guess that is still spare cash but I can see it going toward extending Grundy, Moore, and JDG rather than anyone external.

By all reports he has coaching credentials. I'd sign him to the VFL side and give him some coaching duties. We need the VFL side to be a lot stronger if we want to be able to play players close to selection and/or returning from injury in September. Our VFL side has been poor for too long.

Been working with the AFLW coaching team.

Cameron would cost well over $1M, we would need to delist or trade out a couple of really well paid players not on your list

Don't get me wrong, I would love Cameron but if it were to happen it would take a lot to get done

Cameron would cost well over $1M, we would need to delist or trade out a couple of really well paid players not on your list

Don't get me wrong, I would love Cameron but if it were to happen it would take a lot to get done

Cross that bridge when we get to it in 2020 but well paid players like Aish Greenwood Howe Roughead Cox Beams Mayne Langdon Phillips Roughead Varcoe and Reid could all be on the trade/delist table (not all of them obviously) to land Cameron, as well as asking Sidebottom and Pendlebury to play for less.

Room can be made with the right commitment, and it wouldn’t need to necessarily weaken our best 22

Not for sale without exceptional offers are JDG Stevo Grundy Moore Elliott Crisp Maynard Pendlebury Sidebottom Treloar and Adams.

Last edited:
wells and mayne both signed 600k contracts
meaning wells retired 600k off the cap (or maybe 300k. surely 30+ players only have half their salary on the cap or something??)
id love to keep mayne but would be definitely willing to part with him to free salary cap for cameron or even just to sign grundy de goey moore
would mayne have trade value if a team was willing to take his deal? hes a great player.

Cross that bridge when we get to it in 2020 but well paid players like Aish Greenwood Howe Roughead Cox Beams Mayne Langdon Phillips Roughead Varcoe and Reid could all be on the trade/delist table (not all of them obviously) to land Cameron, as well as asking Sidebottom and Pendlebury to play for less.

Room can be made with the right commitment, and it wouldn’t need to necessarily weaken our best 22

Not for sale without exceptional offers are JDG Stevo Grundy Moore Elliott Crisp Maynard Pendlebury Sidebottom Treloar and Adams.
Yes, but don't forget, as you point out regularly, we have to fit our draftees in, which could well derail any trade deal we might want to do because of the costs involved

wells and mayne both signed 600k contracts
meaning wells retired 600k off the cap (or maybe 300k. surely 30+ players only have half their salary on the cap or something??)
id love to keep mayne but would be definitely willing to part with him to free salary cap for cameron or even just to sign grundy de goey moore
would mayne have trade value if a team was willing to take his deal? hes a great player.
Really, where did you get those figures from?

Yes, but don't forget, as you point out regularly, we have to fit our draftees in, which could well derail any trade deal we might want to do because of the costs involved

That’s why I suggested the “well paid” players, not those close to base salary like Crocker who would barely free up any cap at all.

We’d definitely have to replace them with rookies to make the cap room if we wanted to land a player like Jeremy Cameron, so there’s no doubt depth would have to be sacrificed.

Thanks for confirming however that you still don’t understand. I’ll try to speak more slowly next time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s why I suggested the “well paid” players, not those close to base salary like Crocker who would barely free up any cap at all.

We’d definitely have to replace them with rookies to make the cap room if we wanted to land a player like Jeremy Cameron, so there’s no doubt depth would have to be sacrificed.

Thanks for confirming however that you still don’t understand. I’ll try to speak more slowly next time.
Yes, yes, yes....but have I mentioned before that we shouldn't forget the salaries of the Draftees

By all reports he has coaching credentials. I'd sign him to the VFL side and give him some coaching duties.

IIRC he already has coaching duties with the AFLW side?

We need the VFL side to be a lot stronger if we want to be able to play players close to selection and/or returning from injury in September. Our VFL side has been poor for too long.

Worth giving our VFLW coach Penny Cula Reid a crack? Her current coaching record is 26-7-1, and won the VFL Premiership with part of a list that won the AFLW wooden spoon. In the interviews I’ve seen of her she comes across as a super impressive operator. Seriously badass. It’d be good to give her a crack with the men’s program if she’s interested and the VFL could be a good place for her to start. I hope the club will support her getting any coaching accreditations she‘s interested in - she’s earnt it.

everyone knows mayne is around 600k that was reported and i think by memory that wells was around that figure too. dont quote me its all hypotheticals but i doubt wells was on a min wage

Mayne was guesstimated to be about $500k per year.

Wells was initially on a guesstimated $600k a year but forfeited his final year contracted salary preseason for minimum chips + match payments.

IIRC he already has coaching duties with the AFLW side?

Worth giving our VFLW coach Penny Cula Reid a crack? Her current coaching record is 26-7-1, and won the VFL Premiership with part of a list that won the AFLW wooden spoon. In the interviews I’ve seen of her she comes across as a super impressive operator. Seriously badass. It’d be good to give her a crack with the men’s program if she’s interested and the VFL could be a good place for her to start. I hope the club will support her getting any coaching accreditations she‘s interested in - she’s earnt it.
As jackass said, yes been working with the AFLW side. Happy for that to continue but I'd like him to be playing VFL and teaching the younger players as well as doing some senior backline coaching and generally guiding younger players. He's been through a lot with the Melbourne situation and later injuries. Given he has coaching aims and by all reports has shown capabilities he's a great resource.

More than happy for Penny Cula to have a role if capable but I don't know much about her.

i read a couple of posts that talked about people's coaching aspirations and how the club can help them. I dont see the point in placing people in positions for self development when coaches - rightfully so - follow their own dreams. There might be situations where you take a punt on a player like scott selwood on the basis on what he has shown in his playing days - for a low level development position - but I dont see the point of putting untried people in assistant coaching positions or VFL coaching positions because it might assist their development.

I am far more concerned about Collingwood than Dunn. I think he'd be a great resource as a VFL listed player from a playing and coaching perspective and he'd potentially add to the AFL coaching resources with little impact in the cap.

So why wouldn't we also keep Goldsack and Wells if that was the plan?

Who have we kept?....Varcoe and Reid (no decision yet on Dunn) both very capable of playing 15 or so games next year

You put that together and say Ah-Ha, that can only mean we are after Cameron

Yeah, nah
Not sure Reid is capable of playing 15 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back