Marcus Drum

Remove this Banner Ad

I was there in Geelong that day when he
kicked 4 at Skilled Stadium in Crowley's debut game and looked like he was going to be a handy player.
Can we get a bump for Polak, also played a quality game that day.

LOL...

[edit: We took him with pick 10. The next six picks were Higgins, Nathan Jones, Hurn, Birchall, Varcoe and Douglas. Ouch...]

Meh. Birchall is great, very underrated but Higgins? One of the softest players around... is essentially useless unless you're five goals up and everything is going your way. His hair and general look shits me too. Varcoe is a nothing player. Nathan Jones is incredibly overrated just because he acts serious and captained a club at their absolute lowest. Douglas eh. Hurn would have been awesome with Lukey though... different sorts but he's a great player, one of the Eagles players I like. One of the few. Very few...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe a lesson there NOT to reach for a tall in any draft. Best available at all times.

Bit of difference to reaching at pick 40 to reaching at pick 9 or whatever Drum was.

Edit: I was close. Pick 10
it would still look a bad decision if he turned out a dud. despite how much effort goes into drafting no one knows for certain how these things turn out. you can look at McCartin V Petracca and almost certainly say at this point the Saints blundered massively but then there is Weitering and the kid up at Brisbane Lions whose name escapes me.
Polack and Pav, both looked good at a young age, what different careers!

it would still look a bad decision if he turned out a dud. despite how much effort goes into drafting no one knows for certain how these things turn out. you can look at McCartin V Petracca and almost certainly say at this point the Saints blundered massively but then there is Weitering and the kid up at Brisbane Lions whose name escapes me.
Polack and Pav, both looked good at a young age, what different careers!

Yeah, if Polak is in the 2017 draft we're all over him like white on rice...just about the best hands I've ever seen

I was there in Geelong that day when he
kicked 4 at Skilled Stadium in Crowley's debut game and looked like he was going to be a handy player.
Can we get a bump for Polak, also played a quality game that day.

That didn't happen. His 4 kick 4 goal game was against Adelaide at footy park - Harvey's first game in charge after Connolly was sacked.

Sean Darcy was considered a massive reach.
Bit of difference to reaching at pick 40 to reaching at pick 9 or whatever Drum was.

Seem to remember some on this board on draft day bleating about the club's stupidity because Sean hadn't been mentioned in suchandsuch's Phantom Draft or similar.
But realistically at pick 40 I don't know that Sean was ever considered a 'massive reach' so much as a bit of a surprise after we passed on English.From memory someone described him as a left field pick whatever that means.Others were writing him up as one of the draft bolters and there was also the suggestion that Geelong were going to pull the trigger as they knew all about him.I think I remember reading he'd been interviewed by a heap of clubs.We'd done the home visit so they knew we were serious.
He had been described as the best tap ruckman in the TAC Cup.
His performances against the best ruckman in his draft had already prompted the Mumford comparisons on size, aggression and impact around the contest.
Draft Watch: Geelong's Sean Darcy.
Whatever the perception was, our recruiters were over the moon when he was available and now it's evident to all exactly what they saw and why they were so happy.Huge upside given the major draft downsides were puppy fat and tank.
We've got a lot to look forward to...we have our heir apparent.

Apparently he was the nephew of Francis Bourke...which also means he was the cousin of David Bourke. Genetics...yeah!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back