Unsolved Marion Barter NSW, last heard from on July 31, 1997 in the UK

Remove this Banner Ad

Just caught up on the latest podcasts over the past few days. Seems pretty obvious that to supplement his disability pension he was defrauding gullible women out of their life savings. His wife is an interesting case; a bit thick, just turned a blind eye to it all or part of the scam and playing dumb?

Last edited:
As an aside, it just goes to show how easy it was to set up fake identifies up until the mid-1990s. Even easier when there was photo ID, including the driver's licence. Knew quite a few people who did it at uni in the 1980s. Just opened bank accounts and sent the correspondence to vacant houses or where they could check the letterbox before people got home from work.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might've happened to Marion Barter? Rick Blum seems like an incredibly dodgy and suspect character, but the jump from scamming to murder still feels like a big one.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might've happened to Marion Barter? Rick Blum seems like an incredibly dodgy and suspect character, but the jump from scamming to murder still feels like a big one.

It’s a big jump for a normal person, but for a serial conman, obsessed with stripping women of their assets over many years, and who had been thwarted by a previous victim returning to Australia unexpectedly, it seems a likely progression that he would just eliminate them from the picture altogether.

It would be the most ridiculous coincidence ever if someone else is involved in her disappearance.

A possible other reason for his involvement (and it’s very unlikely) would be that she really did want to disappear completely, and he facilitated that by way of his overseas family and contacts, for a fee. That may explain her name change, sneaking back into AUS, emptying her accounts etc.

But given that he is looking at potentially being a murder suspect, wouldn’t he just own up to that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be the most ridiculous coincidence ever if someone else is involved in her disappearance.

A possible other reason for his involvement (and it’s very unlikely) would be that she really did want to disappear completely, and he facilitated that by way of his overseas family and contacts, for a fee. That may explain her name change, sneaking back into AUS, emptying her accounts etc.

But given that he is looking at potentially being a murder suspect, wouldn’t he just own up to that?

Agree that it's very unlikely that someone else would be involved. I suppose another possibility is that it could be suicide, but there didn't really sound like much indication she was unhappy or anything of that nature. If she has been murdered then a conviction might be difficult based on the fact it's unclear which country it occurred in, how it took place, lack of body, etc. Really hope at the very least her daughter gets some conclusive answers when the inquest resumes in April.

the ramakel name alone is too much for it to be coincidence.
she was clearly conned

but yeah didnt seem like he tried to kill or physically hurt the other women
maybe rob them, con them, abandon them

maybe it was his next step to go to violence, or she was abandoned, shamed and maybe died of natural causes

id like sally to get an answer

Wasn't it one of the "supersleuths" (who have been digging around to help Sally since the podcast broke the story) who found the ad in the personal section of a French language newsletter? The ad placed by a Fernand Remakel? And Blum had a Qld driver's licence in that name.

So I'm guessing that Marion changed her name to Remakel, someone found the ad while searching for that name, and the police followed the trail to Blum.

half way through but the bank lady seems like she's making s**t up
Having frequented Bryon a bit in the 1990s, there were plenty of non-conformist/hippies there then. Without any further information, the evidence has no weight even if it's true somehow. Now there is even more hippies plus heaps of of wealthy people and backpackers.

Last edited:
Her art and antiques combined with the cash would have been worth quite a lot for the time. However, none of the art has been subsequently identified. Certainly motive IMO.

I got back to my earlier post about her art (Boyd and others from memory) and antiques. I remember that the family didn't have any photos or sketches of anything and couldn't see them when looking through collected works etc. Today, people takes pictures of everything but back then very rarely (and wait weeks months to develop to see that they were often out of focus LOL). However, if she knew the artists personally in Sydney then that understandable also. I always thought that this was a smoking gun but it doesn't look like it. Fits so well with Blum's MO - I'll mind the expensive paintings etc for safe keeping while we go overseas. Let me look after it!

I think it’ll be ignored. I don’t necessarily think she is lying or out to gain anything, memory is just a funny beast

yeah absolutely don't think it's intentionally to gain anything, nothing to be gained
Presume she even is recalling she thinks happened but still sounds made up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back